Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Inter Dominion

Senior Member 3YO strong persuader has a spectacular aura about strong persuader's Avatar
    Real Name
    Phil Bourke
    How about the 'pedigree experts' explaining Our Jericho's success in making the ID Final to us

Here is a horse that is by a skewbald stallion that could only manage 1 2nd from his 6 lifetime starts and has only sired 3 winners from 38 foals.

Even though he is now being raced by millionaires, I'll wager he has made some smalltime breeder very happy along the way!
    Warning: Horses are expensive, addictive, and may impair the ability to use common sense.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Come on Phil, you know that not every Olympian has athletes for parents. There are plenty of sources of talent in his pedigree. Maybe Tomahawk is a poor man's Sovereign Adios whom having sired one good one from his first crop will see his popularity rise again but never sire another good one
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It is 20yrs since another fish looked down and only an outside chance of defending his title
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Messenger; 12-06-2016 at 07:16 PM. Reason: looked not look !
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan of Jate View Post
    Rod, I am not sure how my argument falls flat. 2012 was a strong interdom field and people came to watch those horses who were actually TOP horses but this field would not turn the average citizens head in any way shape or form. It is more like a Ballarat cup or strong FFA race at Menangle. What person who doesn't follow racing is going to show up and pay to watch this field unless it is a fireworks night which no doubt it will be. I cant comprehend how anyone would think that this is a top Interdom field. This also goes back to why people don't go to the races, one of the reasons is that there are no out and out stars which will attract people to the races. Lenny the Shark is the only one that really stands out.
    Adding to the above, The first inter that Beautide won (2014) had 6 millionaires in it and two of those had won 2 million. Lets start getting serious here.
    Hi Pat,
    More like a Ballarat Cup/FFA race at Menangle can't let that one go through to the keeper. From what I've seen going around at Menangle each week nothing much going on there. In my opinion this ID final is stronger than the 2016 Hunter Cup let alone the Ballarat Cup. You have the two current best horses in Australia Hector and Lenny, Smolda, the favourite and winner of the Hunter Cup. Close to the best horse in NSW Bling It On and WA's two best Run Oneover and Beaudiene Boaz - better field than the Hunter Cup. On a footnote we all know which horse should have won the HC WA's My Hard Copy, badly held up on the home turn flew home to run third.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    IMO , PATHETIC prizemony for consolation of Inter at $35 thou.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    That is dreadful Trish. $75k the same as the heats should have been the minimum
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Filly codywinnell will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Cody Winnell
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    That is dreadful Trish. $75k the same as the heats should have been the minimum

But why?

Last placegetter in Inter Dom Grand Final should receive more than winner of Consolation in my view. The goal is to make the final, and all Grand Final qualifiers should be rewarded more than any horse in Consolation -- because every one of them is finishing higher than any Consolation horse in the series.

The way it is last placegetter in Grand Final gets $1k less than Consolation winner I believe. I like where they've moved the conditions this year.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Good point Cody - you have swayed me. My thinking was that these horses have not come over here to compete in 35k races but then again that (sadly) is Gp2 equivalent prizemoney
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by codywinnell View Post
    But why?

Last placegetter in Inter Dom Grand Final should receive more than winner of Consolation in my view. The goal is to make the final, and all Grand Final qualifiers should be rewarded more than any horse in Consolation -- because every one of them is finishing higher than any Consolation horse in the series.

The way it is last placegetter in Grand Final gets $1k less than Consolation winner I believe. I like where they've moved the conditions this year.
    True.

I remember Abettorpunt getting $60K for winnning the Bohemia Crystal at Menangle on Interdom day. Pretty much same as 3rd in the final.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by strong persuader View Post
    How about the 'pedigree experts' explaining Our Jericho's success in making the ID Final to us

Here is a horse that is by a skewbald stallion that could only manage 1 2nd from his 6 lifetime starts and has only sired 3 winners from 38 foals.

Even though he is now being raced by millionaires, I'll wager he has made some smalltime breeder very happy along the way!
    This thorough answer has been sent to me Phil, I trust you will enjoy it

"Don't know what the formal qualifications of a "pedigree expert" are but here are my suggestions as to why Our Jerichos performance exceed what most people would expect from his ( immediate ) pedigree.

Whilst Tesio never actually revealed what he looked for in selecting matings subsequent analysis of the pedigrees of the champions he bred showed that they all exhibited sex balanced line breeding to superior siblings usually in generations 4 to 8 but often with further reinforcements even further back.

Looking for Tesios principles in Our Jerichos pedigree shows that like many of the New Zealand stock he has multiples of Scotland and his sister Rose Scot. More specifically Christjan Cullen has Knight Dream and his sister Marjorie Armstrong in his pedigree and many of his better stock have multiples of Knight Dream and his sire Nibble Hanover in their dams. Whilst Tomahawk doesn't appear to be one of his better ones ( though lack of success on the track isn't definative proof of lack of ability ) he also multiplies the Knight Dream influences frequently found in the better performed CC's, and no doubt in some lesser performed ones too

Our Jerichos dam is by Deal Direct who also adds more Knight Dream and his second dam is by Timely Knight who is a son of Sweet Dream who is a full sister to Knight Dream, thus Our Jerichos pedigree exhibits the Tesio principles of reinforced line breeding to superior siblings.

For those who follow Tesio principles what further adds to the potential potency of Our Jerichos pedigree in addition to the Knight Dream and his siblings is that Timely Knight is by Good Time and that Good Time over Knight Dream is repeated several times, and in one instance a son of Good Time over Knight Dream throughout Our Jericho, so the pedigree has multiples of near genetic siblings as well as actual siblings.

I don't think there has been any actuall statistical analysis on the position of a common ancestor on the sire line in stbs in general or on Direct Scooter in particular, but analysis from TBs indicate that the 4x3 position for a common ancestor on the sire line is quite favourable for performance and it's not unreasonable to think that that would hold true for stbs as well. Of course the analysis does pertain to sires who are considered superior sires and would probably not give the same results for inferior sires.

Of course Tesio principles are unproven science and correlation does not automatically mean causation so Our Jericho's apparent ability above what his immediate pedigree would suggest could simply be the result of the laws of genetic variation. "
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread