Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I might outlive the trots

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

I might outlive the trots

It might be a longshot especially when you consider that I retired 10yrs ago as longevity does not run in the family
    I attended the 3 biggest nights at Melton last year but Breeders Semis night is my first this year
    I have done a couple of counts - there is no more than 500 here, 200 are in the bistro for a variety of family gatherings and counting all in the cafe (60/70) as watching the races, I would estimate about 250 people are watching the races on this fairly important night

There is NOBODY in the SkyBox, NOBODY in either Legends function room
    As a spectator/attendee sport, tonight suggests we are done
    How long can a sport survive (have enough new owners and sponsorship) without spectators

As stated in the Breeders thread - entrants are down too

I don’t think I will outlive the trots but it is no longer 1000/1
    NZ cup day impressed me so maybe somebody can fix Vic

I hate messaging on my phone so I will fix any mistakes after
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Well said Kev.
    A least there will be plenty left to go to its funeral, but in saying that, I don't think we will bother.��

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    PP says the CEO zoomed back from NZ for last night - I didn't see him there
    The only worker I saw that was not scheduled on was Tim O'Connor
    I forgot to say in my initial post that in all the times I walked past the new members room I never saw a dozen in there and along with all the other function rooms being empty, there was no one in the two Breeders Crown rooms

I don't really think this is it but Melton would be in the mortgage belt and some might say that the repeated interest rate rises are having an effect

Being an 8/10 juvenile meeting, you wonder whether the other stables have given up competing with Stewart/Tonkin's babies

I am not the biggest 'trotting gait' fan (a carryover of a punting prejudice from my youth) but it is interesting that no stable seems to be able to dominate the trotting gait
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    I know attendance will influence future ownership/punting but attendance is an incredibly minor amount of our income. You don't have to be on track to punt. Punting may well have been down as well I have no idea but just saying we could have attendance of 0 and it wouldn't necessarily be the death of the trots by any stretch. The trots as they were once were is certainly dead though.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I was actually thinking about zero attendance last night Brendan. What would it be like for the participants? Maybe like the origins of harness racing (no audience) just Farmer Jones v Farmer Next Door. It might be enough for many participants but other than your Aaron Dunns, they of course mostly rely on training fees so it is essential that owner numbers do not fall further - we would still have to attract owners. I believe it is a bit harder to do this if you cannot take them to the trots and excite them with a good night out. You might think this can continue but if the numbers attending do not justify the staff required to put on a good evening, then it will probably become a thing of the past - maybe we will have to rely on couch potato variety owners?

At the same time it made me think of my football coaching days (not the main man mind you), had a little time in the Amateur ranks and after coming from a strong Metro league where we had more attend than last night's trots, I had trouble coming to terms with the amateurs negligible crowds - I could not help but think "Why/who are we putting this on for?"

I take your point - I would just rather be in the position of the gallops
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The announcements we are all waiting for are going to be interesting - I fear it will indicate admins acceptance that we are destined to simply be a boutique little hobby industry

Reading this article on breeding numbers

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/the...CN4ZJKd1fCbde1

With the number of services continuing to compound down as it has been for decades (11% last season)
    The title of this thread is no longer a longshot
    I would not be totally surprised if this decade was even our last
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread