Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arthritis injections? Horse needing help.

Member Yearling Shannon will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Shannon Lee

Arthritis injections? Horse needing help.

Any new products out there suitable to race on that good for a horse who trots like a cat with 3 legs and usually warms out of it after 10-15mins but when it comes to hopple time it paces like nothing is wrong? She seemed fine winning her first workout but with going quicker showing signs of getting worse on her trot/ jog days. Am getting her gold injection on wednesday but am keen to hear if there is a better alternative/cheaper opition other than getting key to my gun cabinet out.

triplev123

That'd be TILDREN again

G'day Shannon,

There's another thread where I sent some stuff through for Flashing re: a horse with calcification in its ankles and there's a fair bit of info there. It is BRILLIANT.

http://www.naturevet.com.au/prodetails.php?pid=105

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Any new products out there suitable to race on that good for a horse who trots like a cat with 3 legs and usually warms out of it after 10-15mins but when it comes to hopple time it paces like nothing is wrong? She seemed fine winning her first workout but with going quicker showing signs of getting worse on her trot/ jog days. Am getting her gold injection on wednesday but am keen to hear if there is a better alternative/cheaper opition other than getting key to my gun cabinet out.
    Are her feet bothering her? In my experience a lot of standardbreds suffer from sore feet, especially anything related to Artsplace. I find routine cortisone injections into their coffins works a treat. It's hard to tell exactly what you horse is doing wrong. Sometimes that three leggedness as you describe it can also be their hocks. Cedar Oil applied as a blister to their hocks (ask you vet where to put it) I also finds helps this.

I also have found rubbing liniment into their muscles daily helps with general stiffness/mild lameness. See thread http://www.harnessracingforum.com/sh...and-needs-help

I normally try these sorts of treatments first before spending a lot of money with a vet, personally. A lot of the time they work and you save yourself $$$. If they don't, then you know you have done everything you can and its time to pull out the big guns so to speak

Good luck

Member Yearling Shannon will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Shannon Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashing Red View Post
    Are her feet bothering her? In my experience a lot of standardbreds suffer from sore feet, especially anything related to Artsplace. I find routine cortisone injections into their coffins works a treat. It's hard to tell exactly what you horse is doing wrong. Sometimes that three leggedness as you describe it can also be their hocks. Cedar Oil applied as a blister to their hocks (ask you vet where to put it) I also finds helps this.

I also have found rubbing liniment into their muscles daily helps with general stiffness/mild lameness. See thread http://www.harnessracingforum.com/sh...and-needs-help

I normally try these sorts of treatments first before spending a lot of money with a vet, personally. A lot of the time they work and you save yourself $$$. If they don't, then you know you have done everything you can and its time to pull out the big guns so to speak

Good luck
    I had bone chips removed fo her hocks as a young horse. Were pretty confident it isn't in her feet as well. You'd almost think its in her near side knee as she doesn't bend it much. Then other guy's who see her jog say could be shoulder then you start thinking maybe its in her back. Vet has xrayed her knees and came up clean. I have been feeeding her equi zeal and have back on track knee boots for her. Deep down i know she is good enough to win a couple but am running outa time and money on this horse. This game isn't easy.

Junior Member Weanling Minty will become famous soon enough Minty's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kristy Padberg
    Has a vet looked at this horse recently? Before anything can be treated it is handy to know what is causing the issue. If this horse is as lame as it sounds I would be getting my vet to have a look and then running appropriate diagnostics. For horses with joint problems, I have recently started some on Hyaglide with good results.

Flashing Red
    I also second the Hyaglide. I've seen the fluid of horses that previously had very bad joints improve out of sight after being on Hyaglide for a month.

Another useful tool is blocking - sometimes not even vets know 100% where a horse is sort, if you can work out the limb (which normally isn't too hard) then start blocking from the feet, then fetlock etc working your way up the limb until the horse blocks sound.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Have you tried a chiropractor and also try cantering instead of trotting her on jog day's it may help
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

+ Reply to Thread