Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: We wont be seeing David Moran for a while

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

We wont be seeing David Moran for a while

Unless he does a Douglas/Tormey trick (and will still be around 3+yrs after being outed)

https://integrity.thetrots.com.au/ne...g-david-moran/

You will notice that these offences happened over 2yrs ago
    Last edited by Messenger; 02-18-2022 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Circumstances explained next post
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Reading the VRT ruling you will see reasons behind the first 3 charges
    As for the betting one you will have to believe that he forgot he had a drive in the same race and it was too late to cancel his multi bet
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I have a copy of the infamous Douglas/Tormey transcript that HRV later redacted
    I think that the VRT should sometimes consider this practice too
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown

Angry

He has already pulled the Douglas / Tormey manoeuvre and been handsomely rewarded for it in the meantime by the performances of his once in a lifetime champion Lochinvar Art. Two and a quarter years to get to this point!

A reminder, Moran's former partner Laura Crossland was originally the trainer of Lochinvar Art. The horse had its final start in Crossland's name when 5th in the Breeders Crown final on 24 August 2019. It resumed on 5 January 2020 in Moran's name, winning the Cobram Cup. After that, there was no stopping the horse.

Coincidentally, Moran publicly stated after the Hunter Cup the horse appeared tired and would be spelled. The hearing took place two days after the Hunter Cup, the much publicized "spell" was announced by Moran within a couple of days. I didn't comment at the time as it read like pure BS to me:

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/loch...-mire-20220210

The first charge is the most serious and the incident has been widely known in the industry. A six-month suspension - not a disqualification - is totally inadequate and out of touch with our times and community expectations. Crossland, the ex-partner, appears to have been assaulted in her workplace. Perhaps the Police are involved, I don't know. But if some grub walked up to the check-out at the supermarket and knocked his ex to the floor I am certain there would be public outrage. In this case, hide the story for a couple of years and perhaps nobody will notice.

What happened to the three horses? Did Moran's reckless actions result in any of them being injured? If so, have Police or other officers (eg, RSPCA) authorised under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act investigated the matter? Potentially, this is a very serious matter.

Rolling into the parade ring at official race trials blind drunk and accosting a fellow licence is worthy only of a fine? Please! That is almost as worse as pulling a prank and dobbing the victim in with a false claim of stomach tubing.

I am assuming the 6 month suspension for the 4th charge is to be served concurrently with the suspension for charge 1; no suggestion otherwise. And don't fall for any comments such as "an honest mistake", Moran is a repeat offender.

https://www.hrnsw.com.au/news/733/mr...-activities--1

With 2 months of charge 1 being suspended for 24 months and 3 months of charge 4 treated the same I expected Lochinvar Art will resume training after his spell in the care of another of his former trainers, Kasey Kent, in Moran's stables under Moran's watchful eyes - remember, he is only suspended and not disqualified - before Moran resumes training on 18 June. Just in time for his old champ fit and ready for the big Queensland winter carnival.

How cozy is that, eh? Not very, I suspect, if your name is Laura Crossland, Damien Wilson or any other licencee, owner, breeder or punter in Victoria.

Rugs R-us just swept all these matters under the carpet. Move along, nothing to see here!

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Further reading of the decisions and reasons behind the Moran hearing reveal his suspensions are to be served cumulatively, not concurrently. Therefore, he is out of action for at least 7 months. Here is the link to an interesting read:

https://djpr.vic.gov.au/victorian-ra...ns-and-reasons

Some interesting character references including Adam Hamilton and Rob Auber as well as Moran's former partner Laura Crossland who pleaded for leniency for him. She stated that the sooner the matters were dealt with the sooner they could all move on. I again raise the question as to why it took 27 months to get to a hearing when the evidence was cut and dry. Perhaps the tribunal, in its glowing references to Lochinvar Art, provided some insight. Had the best horse in Moran's stable been a maiden called Ned's Folly would it have taken 27 months for these brazen matters to have been dealt with.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    HRV Stewards want it to be longer and are appealing

https://integrity.thetrots.com.au/ne...n-david-moran/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Good and about time for the reasons I previously mentioned. The hardest thing for Moran with the original penalty imposed would have been keeping a straight face when it was handed down.

+ Reply to Thread