Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dan Patch the 1900s superstar and his owner

Flashing Red

Dan Patch the 1900s superstar and his owner

I stumbled across this You Tube video today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlsEtqMgOLI#

It is amazing what money can buy - this guy has an 800m (half mile) INDOOR training track! Wouldn't that be nice in Qld at the moment!!

And to put Dan Patch in perspective - Meadowskipper also went 1:55, but 60 years later!! He was well and truly a horse before his time

Senior Member 4YO Don Corleone has a spectacular aura about Don Corleone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Fidow
    Occupation
    Sec Cons
    Hey Red
    I was the winner of the forums first competition and the prize was a selection of wonderful books on Harness Racing. One of the books was "Crazy Good" The story of Dan Patch, written by Charles Leerhsen. Amazing read. He was born crippled and unable to stand and was very nearly put down. Later in life he pulled the grocery wagon in Indiana. He was entered into a county fair race and won - then just kept on winning. He really became the first American sports star as his name appeared on sleds, breakfast cereals, washing machines, cigars and razors. Although Dan Patch never lost a race some of his races were 'rigged' as large sums of money changed hands. But the horses life is one truly amazing story and well worth the read.

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Hey Red
    I was the winner of the forums first competition and the prize was a selection of wonderful books on Harness Racing. One of the books was "Crazy Good" The story of Dan Patch, written by Charles Leerhsen. Amazing read. He was born crippled and unable to stand and was very nearly put down. Later in life he pulled the grocery wagon in Indiana. He was entered into a county fair race and won - then just kept on winning. He really became the first American sports star as his name appeared on sleds, breakfast cereals, washing machines, cigars and razors. Although Dan Patch never lost a race some of his races were 'rigged' as large sums of money changed hands. But the horses life is one truly amazing story and well worth the read.
    I would love to read that book.

But I have to ask - if some of the races were "rigged" - honestly what other horse could run 1:55 back then (early 1900s?) 1:55 was a good time for the 1960s! Maybe the distances could have been shorter than a mile, but that horse was a freak - surely there couldn't have been another one at the same time?

triplev123
    He was a great horse Flashing. I believe the 1:55 he went was following right in behind a pacemaker with some kind of a windshield type device in place somewhere to cut the air. I've never seen a picture of it but I am pretty sure that was how it was done.
    Last edited by triplev123; 01-20-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Poor sentence structure...I should work for NZHRW.

Flashing Red
    He paced a mile in 1:55 a number of times, there is a video supposeably of one of the times he did it on You Tube, I watched it. He had several pacemakers, all galloping, however none were in front of him...?

triplev123
    I read it somewhere but maybe I'm having a brain fade about the name of the horse involved Flashing? Early onset Dementia. It might well have been Greyhound or Billy Direct ? Whichever one it was, I'm pretty sure one of those early speed marks was taken whilst rolling behind some kind of a windshield/deflector device...with said device being subsequently and immediately banned for the purposes of TT's.
    Last edited by triplev123; 01-20-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Now I can't even spell properly

Administrator 3YO admin will become famous soon enough admin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jules Boven
    Occupation
    Marketing Manager
    Horses
    Charge Forward
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Hey Red
    Glad they arrived, I was a little worried they wouldn't since we had to order them from the States. Good to know your enjoying them.
    Please read the rules before posting.

Harnesslink Marketing Manager

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    This is awesome, not to good for my blood pressure though.
    Watch the ending, I have been in the same situation plenty of times and have never tried this.

Last edited by justdoit; 01-21-2011 at 02:45 AM.

Flashing Red
    I've always wanted to drive a good trotter. Watching the breeders crown trot races - those things are smoother than our best pacers... it's breathtaking to watch!!

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Hi Flashing Red,
    I agree they are really cool to watch, people new to harness racing seem to have a better/quicker acceptance of trotters.IMOA

+ Reply to Thread