Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Am I mad?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac

Am I mad?

I have an unraced 3yo filly called Triple Sec by Mach Three from Sagrantino. She was an embryo transfer. She is very small (much smaller than any of her other siblings)

Due to her size, i have just left her in the paddock.

I am thinking of having a punt and breeding her this season. French Flair was only a pony(14.1 or 14.2) and look what she did as a broodmare.

What are your thoughts, and if you suggest breeding who would you breed her to?

I was thinking either Four Starzzz Shark because of his size and the size of his foals, but I also really like the pedigree of a foal from Shadow Play.

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    YES it is possible,
    There is a chance you will be stuck by lightning again.
    Her first foal will most likely be her smallest, so the order you have them sound good.
    1st foal-Four Starzzz Shark
    2nd foal-Shadow Play or Rocknroll Hanover

Could also suggest Aces&Sevens, Sell the foal in-utero to the Andersons?
    A son of CCullen? Gotta go Collect?The one at Alabar. Beretta Coffey will know what would suit her the best.IMO

I have tried looking at the Harrisburg sales catalogue for mares by Mach Three and who they are breeding them to, with no luck.
    This mobile internet connection keeps dropping out, found this for you and TripleV123http://www.theblackbook.com/2011pdfs/pedigrees/124.pdf
    Last edited by justdoit; 09-17-2011 at 05:29 PM.

triplev123
    G'day Mightymo,
    Yes you are but that is beside the point. Insanity is a prerequisite in this business.
    We've bred 5 Four Starzzz Sharks, obviously I like the horse...but none of them have been what I'd call big horses. 1 of the 5 will make 16h and they're from medium to larger sized mares. The others will be 15.1/2/3. The two things they seem to have in common however is their length and muscle structure...especially in the rump. He is a notably long barrelled horse himself. David used to say it was like he had an extra set of ribs and that's a spot on assessment. Great looking horse, IMO. That being said, if I had a small mare such as yours & was wanting to take a shot with a horse that is absolutely dead set guarenteed to pile in some size, length and bone structure/frame to the foal...I'd go to Artistic Fella. His foals are big, powerful, athletic types. If he doesn't put size into that mare's foal...even taking into account that it would be her first foal...then get rid of her immediately.

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymo View Post
    I have an unraced 3yo filly called Triple Sec by Mach Three from Sagrantino. She was an embryo transfer. She is very small (much smaller than any of her other siblings)

Due to her size, i have just left her in the paddock.

I am thinking of having a punt and breeding her this season. French Flair was only a pony(14.1 or 14.2) and look what she did as a broodmare.

What are your thoughts, and if you suggest breeding who would you breed her to?

I was thinking either Four Starzzz Shark because of his size and the size of his foals, but I also really like the pedigree of a foal from Shadow Play.
    A very wise breeder once told me not to worry about a small horse from an otherwise average or large sized family. He said he only every gave it any thought if the whole family was small (and then only to make sure he didn't breed two small families together, nothing more)

You're not mad - go for it

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    I would try Shadow Play myself or Artistic Fella both for the height and one's heavier boned the other more fine if you want to breed from her do it how tall is she actually we owned the smallest horse to win at Harold Park
    and then went on and won in the States so don't worry about size if your racing but selling would be different but if it is a good type and well bred it shouldn't matter well to me it wouldn't.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member 4YO dizzy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Not mad but definately taking a chance. Mare size does have more influence on the size of the foal then the stallion, and whilst there are exceptions there are few small mares that don't predominately throw small foals. It's obviously a very good family though so may be worth the risk.

A foal by Shadow Play would be intensely linebred, a practice which can produce very good horses but can also result in a decrease in size, so starting with a very small mare is probably not ideal. There also can be other problems with close line breeding.

Rock and Roll Heaven is intensly line bred- 4x4x3 Abercrombie, 4x4 full brother and sister, which could account for his small stature and his outstanding ability.

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Mightmo,

My advice would be don't do it - give her to somebody else to breed a couple of foals from.
    We had a similar situation with a very small Bettors Delight filly and made a decision that she would never be a mum.

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Not mad but definately taking a chance. Mare size does have more influence on the size of the foal then the stallion, and whilst there are exceptions there are few small mares that don't predominately throw small foals. It's obviously a very good family though so may be worth the risk.

A foal by Shadow Play would be intensely linebred, a practice which can produce very good horses but can also result in a decrease in size, so starting with a very small mare is probably not ideal. There also can be other problems with close line breeding.

Rock and Roll Heaven is intensly line bred- 4x4x3 Abercrombie, 4x4 full brother and sister, which could account for his small stature and his outstanding ability.
    John Heath is a great student of breeding. He remarked at the Pepper Tree sale how much RNR Heaven reminded him of Abercrombie.

triplev123
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteblood View Post
    John Heath is a great student of breeding. He remarked at the Pepper Tree sale how much RNR Heaven reminded him of Abercrombie.
    [VVV] Never once thought to make that comparison but as usual with such things, right on the money there John Heath. Heaven does look a lot like a young Abercrombie.

+ Reply to Thread