Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars

Fined for backing your drive

http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=99096

Whats the go here? Where is VOR when you need him?
    Jackson Painting fined for backing his drive??
    when did they change the rules? used to be if you got questioned about a dodgy drive they wanted you show evidence that you had backed it

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Hope this explain's the ruleI believe this rule has been there for a long time.
    173. (1) A driver shall not bet in a race in which the driver participates.

(2) A driver engaged to drive at a meeting shall not enter the betting area of the racecourse during the period commencing 60 minutes before the time fixed for the first race and finishing at the completion of the driver’s engagements at the meeting.

(3) A driver who fails to comply with any provision of this rule is guilty of an offence.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
    Hope this explain's the ruleI believe this rule has been there for a long time.
    173. (1) A driver shall not bet in a race in which the driver participates.

(2) A driver engaged to drive at a meeting shall not enter the betting area of the racecourse during the period commencing 60 minutes before the time fixed for the first race and finishing at the completion of the driver’s engagements at the meeting.

(3) A driver who fails to comply with any provision of this rule is guilty of an offence.
    G'day Greg,

this rule always was,

173. (1) A driver shall not bet in a race in which the driver participates, unless the bet includes the horse for which the driver is engaged.

The rule was amended October 2005 to remove the "unless the bet includes the horse for which the driver is engaged."

That one slipped through my guard...and I'm unsure of the reasoning behind the amendment unless it was to copy the gallops..which,in my opinion would be a dumb move.

Cheers,

Dan
    Last edited by Danno; 07-19-2012 at 12:08 AM. Reason: found some info

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    On face value Dan I think that it's a bit tough for any fella to get jammed for backing to win the horse he is driving and then duly winning on it...as to tell you the truth I'd much rather know a Driver had his hard earned down on his charge. If they have nothing to hide then ponying up the phone & betting records shouldn't be an issue at all.
    Personally as a participant I couldn't give a bugger who looked at my betting account, save the abject embarressment that would come it being identified as continually suffering from malnutrition as a direct result so many losing ones having been placed.
    Phone wise, again...who gives a bugger ? Mine are all pretty pedestrian. The last calls in and out I can see here were either to or from my brother, my wife, my daughter, Harvey, Jackie Gibson, Brett Coffey, my Dad, voicemail, Mark Denyer, my father-in-law, a bloke that I work with, our Farrier & finally another mate of mine. Boring bastard. I need to get something a bit more saucey on my phone records. A few calls to Dot's Museum of Jatz Crackers perhaps ? That should do it.

Member Gelding NormanS will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Norman Schwarz
    Occupation
    Franchise Owner
    Horses
    Love This Dragon, Aussie Melody, Love Th
    For this race and the way it panned out I understand the point of view (except that it is a breach of the rules). The wording might have been changed to prevent lets say reckless driving - backed your drive, get crossed at the start knock down anyone in the way far enough from home to avoid a successful protest, win the race, take the fine or suspension, keep the rest of your cash. OR have someone try to hold you out for the lead, cross down anyway and take their legs, cause a real mess going into the first turn.

Just a thought.

Senior Member 4YO Thevoiceofreason has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=99096

Whats the go here? Where is VOR when you need him?
    Jackson Painting fined for backing his drive??
    when did they change the rules? used to be if you got questioned about a dodgy drive they wanted you show evidence that you had backed it
    Thanks for inviting me on this one Danno trouble it is not a simple fix for many reasons... try not to nod off to sleep.

A jockey can not bet end of the rule and simple so it would seem simple enough to follow the long and tested road and have the same rule in harness

Problem is a jockey can not train or own his horse either so a ban on drivers who either own or train their own horse is a complete joke.

As an outsider looking in I was never really able to see how this rule rule change got through with virtually no complaint, perhaps the fact it has not been enforced may explain that.

If I can now move onto the old rule it in a modern betting society can not work either with exotic betting I could be driving the $1.10 chance and not have him to win in any trifecta or first four bets. Now I can explain the bet or bets away by saying I thought I could win, I hoped I would win, but this was my form of saving so to speak I wanted to get more than just the second or third prize money if I was beaten, short of a substandard drive the stewards become powerless to act.

I do not know where the answer lies but if I was a trainer driver taking one to a Muswellbrook non Tab for no prize money and I had worked my tail off for months and knew this was the right race, even though my old mate "China"who would not bet evens the sun setting in the east, I would still be keen to be having something on it without breaking the rules.

It is agreed that most interest in Harness Racing is from its participants, its also agreed turnover is dropping, so effectively we have a rule saying if your " too interested" you can not bet. That should drive turnover, actually it will, drive it down

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Thevoiceofreason View Post
    Thanks for inviting me on this one Danno trouble it is not a simple fix for many reasons... try not to nod off to sleep.

A jockey can not bet end of the rule and simple so it would seem simple enough to follow the long and tested road and have the same rule in harness

Problem is a jockey can not train or own his horse either so a ban on drivers who either own or train their own horse is a complete joke.

As an outsider looking in I was never really able to see how this rule rule change got through with virtually no complaint, perhaps the fact it has not been enforced may explain that.

If I can now move onto the old rule it in a modern betting society can not work either with exotic betting I could be driving the $1.10 chance and not have him to win in any trifecta or first four bets. Now I can explain the bet or bets away by saying I thought I could win, I hoped I would win, but this was my form of saving so to speak I wanted to get more than just the second or third prize money if I was beaten, short of a substandard drive the stewards become powerless to act.

I do not know where the answer lies but if I was a trainer driver taking one to a Muswellbrook non Tab for no prize money and I had worked my tail off for months and knew this was the right race, even though my old mate "China"who would not bet evens the sun setting in the east, I would still be keen to be having something on it without breaking the rules.

It is agreed that most interest in Harness Racing is from its participants, its also agreed turnover is dropping, so effectively we have a rule saying if your " too interested" you can not bet. That should drive turnover, actually it will, drive it down
    Haven't seen Greg around for a while, and your right he'd only give 6/4 on.
    So VOR, you'd agree it was a "dumb move" ? I can definitley see why it is seen as appropriate in the gallops, but our game is so different, I mean we race horses against each other but thats where the similarity ends. I don't want to be telling anybody how to do their job, and I'm absolutely certain Reid Sanders has plenty on his plate at the moment, but I reckon somebody ought to work on reversing this ridiculous rule amendment.

Cheers,
    Dan

mark diegutis
    I agree with VOR but the rule in the gallops has only turned every single jockey into a criminal in that code . I don't think there is a jockey on Earth that dosn't have someone put their bets on , even DB , God bless him . The same will be true with drivers . If you want to keep it above board don't force them "underground"

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Hmmmmm. Perhaps a Driver putting his/her hard earned down on their charge should be incorporated in the ongoing jokes currently comprised of the pre race Change Of Tactics announcements & Gear Change notifications?
    I can hear it now..."Harry's Boy, Rogue's Hood off, head check off, steel to aluminium shoes, hopples let out 4 holes, livened up with a stock whip, to be driven further forward, Bob Smith in the bike and Minty Man Number 1 from TAB Sportsbet reports that Bob's had a Gorilla on it at 7/2 fixed odds".
    Last edited by Triple V; 09-05-2012 at 10:32 AM.

+ Reply to Thread