Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Breeding

triplev123

2x3 to CCS

In the interests of a full & frank disclosure ...for the 2011/12 season I've been giving some serious thought to breeding a Shark Gesture filly to Four Starzzz Shark.
    It would produce a 2x3 cross to Cam's Card Shark which is a little bit unusual on paper but given the specs of the individuals I think it is a big chance to work. Where racehorses are concerned I don't think there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    A few breeding ideas I would have no hesitation in doing, is to breed a Life Sign mare to American Ideal and to breed an Albert Albert mare to Lis Mara

I also like this mating for a mare of mine, but she is on the small side so it would not work unfortunately.

http://tesiopower.com/pep/seepedigree.aspx?hID=50101181

Junior Member Yearling Nemera will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Rena Johnsen
    [QUOTE=mango;5782]
    I see a lot of people who own Panorama mare's are sending them to Grinfromeartoear to get the double up of Blue Horizon and a couple of crosses to Breath O Spring not sure how good it's worked so far.

Well it seemed to work pretty well with Smiling Shard. It would be interesting to know how many of racing age from that cross are floating around.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymo View Post
    A few breeding ideas I would have no hesitation in doing, is to breed a Life Sign mare to American Ideal and to breed an Albert Albert mare to Lis Mara

I also like this mating for a mare of mine, but she is on the small side so it would not work unfortunately.

http://tesiopower.com/pep/seepedigree.aspx?hID=50101181
    Hi Mightymo

I would try either of those breedings as it brings Lismore/Three Diamonds into the pedigree twice.

Senior Member 2YO Love Of Courage will become famous soon enough Love Of Courage's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    Hi Sue

Thanks for your reply, i find the breeding side of thing's interesting and thats why i started this post to hear of people's idea's and thoughts. Now i hope you don't think i'm bagging your Artsplace colt it's just that i find the cross interesting that's all. I do like your cross with the same mare to Courage Under Fire, Mightymo/Triple have pointed out that there have been some horses that have been inbred and have turned out to be good horses so hopefully yours will aswell. Question for you if you had your time over again do you think if you realised how close the cross was would of you tried it and also do you think it had a negative effect on you selling the colt.
    Hello Mango,

Don't be concerned for one minute with your comments as I think that the point that you raise is very valid. I am not the slighest bit offended, when i became aware of my " Mistake" I was somewhat taken aback myself !

If given the chance again I think that I would have had a 3rd attempt with Rock N Roll Hanover due to the close breeding. After speaking with several Auctioneers in Australia & New Zealand they commented that this close breeding may deter a few buyers.

I would have preferred to have kept this colt and entered him in a Ready To Run Sale as I think if he looked the goods the breeding would become less of an issue. I have watched several interviews with Gai Waterhouse regarding selling tried NZ horses to her clients. Gai comments that the first thing that is asked is what is the breeding her reply is always the same "Cup of tea out of saucer.' as she believes that the animal does not know about its breeding so why should she. Gai is more concerned about the horses athletic ability rather than breeding. However this is in regards to "Tried" horses.

Line Breeding / Inbreeding is used quite often to get certain desired genetic features, however the key is to weed out the unsuccessful breeding attempts where a bad gene has come from both parents. I guess as the colt is fit and healthy so far so good.

As far as his genetic makeup is concerened Artiscape has 50 % Artsplace genes. Erin Finn has 25 % Artsplace genes. So this yearling colt would have 50% Artsplace genes from the sire and 12.5 % from the dam. So for an Artsplace foal with 50 % he has perhaps 62.5 % which does not seem too bad.

I wonder how many people would be interested in a horse that had a hypothetical 90%or 80% 70% or 60% Blacks A Fake genetic makeup.

I would be interersted in the comments from those that are a good judge of a horses looks to see if people do think he looks anything like his sire. I guess it may be hard from the picture, however I read on one of these forums that Sportswriter is very similar to his sire Artsplace.

In Like Finn December 2010.jpg
    Last edited by Love Of Courage; 05-16-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Love Of Courage

That might be a good idea putting him through the Ready To Run sale cause people don't tend to worry about pedigree they just worry about type and if they can run.

triplev123
    The Breed's full of great horses produced by chance, accidental, last minute and happen-stance matings Sue.
    Hal Dale missed out on being gelded because the Vet knocked up. He went on to sire Adios, Good Time & Dale Frost. In turn Dale Frost only got to jump Countess Vivian because Adios got a case of Founder. No Vet pulling the pin and no Founder, no Meadow Skipper.

Senior Member 2YO Love Of Courage will become famous soon enough Love Of Courage's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue Smith
    Hello Triplev123,

Interesting post as always Triplev123, I should stick with my first explanation rather than the second. If the colt turns out to be pretty good the first story makes me look clever, the second makes me look like a lucky "Dill".

triplev123
    Nah, not at all Sue. Murray Brown at Hanover, a man who has probably seen more good horses bred than I've had heart beats on this earth and I'm sure knows more about the Standardbred breed than most people on this earth, has said on a number of occasions words to the effect that "I'd rather be lucky than smart". In keeping with that I know a fella who bred a terrific horse by way of him putting the wrong semen into one of his mares.
    He had two mares on the go on the same day so he called for doses from two different horses standing at different farms and then he just mixed up the services. It can happen to anyone & especially so if you're tired. He realised what he'd done straight away but after he'd done it and of course it was too late. He'd been up for...it must have been 40 odd of the previous 48hrs with a foal that needed round the clock care (Rhesus) and he was on auto-pilot, lucky to stand and keep his eyes open. Of course one mare went in foal and one didn't. The mare that held on never gave him so much as a moment of concern and duly produced a screamer. No Rhesus foal, no screamer.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Although not the same but,
    Don't worry Love Of Courage Granddad had a mare to be served to a stallion when it came time to serve the Stallion had 4 other mares to serve that day so he said put the other horse over her the resulting foal James Scott another time a stallion was being put on the truck to go back to his owner's Jean Wirra had missed twice to Silent Silver she was horsing when the stallion was put on the truck we got the horse off ,served the mare the foal none other than Scotirra sometimes these thing's work out for the best sometimes better than a planned mating and good luck with him hope he does well for you
    Last edited by Greg Hando; 05-17-2011 at 01:16 AM. Reason: intro
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

+ Reply to Thread