Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Trainers and Drivers

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Thanks Rick, I haven't checked the rules recently. It always used to be three months the first time, then 12 (maybe?) then life. But back then the blood had to be coming out the nostrils, arthroscopes were not commonly used on course.

Hope your girl comes good.

Member Yearling Theoldfox will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Em C
    Messenger summarises it beautifully.
    In simple terms Harness Racing and its "state" media is behaving like North Korea and to a large extent viewed that way from outside the industry. Before everybody exclaims that this is an outrageous proposition, I'll better explain my point.
    The industry is using controlled media to paint a rosy picture to its disciples, the people already in the industry. "Nothing to see here", the cheats "are larrikins". This is not dissimilar to North Korea and its method of state sponsored/controlled "positive" internal media. This is all well and good when the industry (or country) is prospering and no further participants or resources are needed for survival.
    Sadly this is not the case, a faltering industry that needs new participants, new owners, more breeders is not in a position to behave this way. It becomes a laughing stock.
    It's time to show everyone that a clean up is happening, not writing articles that express pity for a physically aggressive and proven cheat/s is step one.

Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I was going to say that there are a lot of ordinary characters in the racing game but on reflection, probably no more than in any other industry.
    In other industries, if you do something very wrong you are probably not going to be welcome in the industry any longer.
    It is also probably true that some will get away with it because in many cases (unlike sportspeople and entertainers) the offence may not receive any publicity.

But just as being in the public eye thanks to the media can be damming for racing people, it can also be a godsend (as Theoldfox suggests) for the media see their role as promoting the industry/portraying the positives - not reporting facts.
    This is because the media see themselves as part of the industry team - and pretty much adhere to the belief that you don't air your dirty laundry in public

I know Aussiebreno hates it every time I mention PeterProfit but the only reason PP has an audience is that virtually nobody in the mainstream media is prepared to make waves.
    PP up on the beach at Port Douglas may like waves a bit too much but it is his declared mission statement 'Always back the horse named self-interest, son. It'll be the only one trying'

The other thing that strikes me about our industry personalites is - how many of them are media performers
    Compare it to AFL, Patrick Cripps told us last night that he sort out help in order to be comfortable speaking to the media, look at how many AFL players perform so very well in media roles (yes, I know some are overrated too)

I don't really follow the gallops other than springtime but it seems to me that they always have a few that are good performers.
    I don't watch/listen to Burning Questions - not just because of JB but because I am discerning when it comes to allocating my time - especially because hearing is not that easy for me SO I don't know as well as some of you, who we should be getting in front of the camera to promote our industry. Who we should be 'training up' - I know some do media training

I am trying to think of who I have seen on TrotsVision who seem comfortable and personable - Kate Gath, Greg Sugars - people that NON rusted ons are going to listen to.
    ps And hosts who are good at sharing/not dominating the mic

I know I have drifted off track a little - but only a little, as I am concentrating on Theoldfox's point about how the public see us

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    For someone who drives so many winners, how do you explain a drive as bad as this on The Wolf in R7 at Melton tonight

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...22#MXC22092202
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    For someone who drives so many winners, how do you explain a drive as bad as this on The Wolf in R7 at Melton tonight

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...22#MXC22092202
    I would suggest on its efforts with this stable they would prefer it driven to use its late sprint after its pea hearted effort when driven aggressively with early speed.

In the heat it was easier to go around 4 horse lengths in 29.2 than it was to go around 8 horse lengths in 28.1 for the 3rd qtr in the final. In the small field you'd usually see a fave make an earlier move so to me it indicates they dont want to use any early petrol tickets.

If you're coming 4 wide making ground in a 28.1 qtr and it runs out steam in the straight maybe you're not driving it next week, probably unrelated but note Leedham is no longer driving it.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Good explanation
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    Trevor, my horse had her first bleed earlier this year (level 3) and received a 28 day ban. That seems to be the usual for a first bleed. The horse you refer to may have bled before.
    Just an update on the bleeding rule - unverified (I'm too lazy) but from an impeccable source. If a horse has blood in or flowing from its nostrils it's a 3 month ban for a first occurrence. In Lochinvar Art's case it is 28 days as the blood was detected by scoping. The blood was in the trachea, not the nostrils.

I feel sorry for the poor horse, he'll be on his way to the US of A late next week.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    What is with the TAB's shortening of an already short name. It feels just a little too familiar to me
    G Hall Snr takes up less space than D Egerton-green so why the G Snr
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Watching the Vic Cup replay and hear the news that Bondi Lockdown is going to Luke McCarthy
    Aaron Dunn of course owns him so he has plenty to gain from the move
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    No Mark Pitt at Melton tomorrow night - he is up at Menangle for just 2 Emma Stewart drives in 2yo Breeders Challenge Semis

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...s/?mc=PC151022
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Great to see Chris Alford win a Gp1 and Gp3 tonight
    One major stable that he has driven dozens of Gp1's for may not have remained loyal but the man just keeps doing what he does best
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread