Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Ratings Based Handicapping System

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Harness Racing Victoria (HRV) will conduct a series of consultation sessions across Victoria in relation to the proposed national ratings handicapping system.

All stakeholders are encouraged to attend one of the following sessions:

Tuesday February 12 at Shepparton (7pm)
    Wednesday February 13 at Ballarat (7pm)
    Thursday February 14 at Cranbourne (7pm)
    Monday February 18 at Mildura (7pm)

Light refreshments will be provided.

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/art...ns-to-be-held/

A podcast will be released for those who can't get to a session.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    That’s good Wayne but it’s a shame that a video/podcast explanation of the workings of the system in its entirety was not released prior to the consultation meetings to enable those who are sufficiently interested to view in order to be able to give consideration to the proposed workings of the system and formulate opinions and question for the consultation meetings ahead of time.

Would make better use of the brains that are out in the stable and not in the office

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    That’s two consultation sessions down, and another about to be. How’s that podcast going?

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    That’s two consultation sessions down, and another about to be. How’s that podcast going?

RSN The Trots - One Out One Back program, HRV's Stephen Bell from the 11.15 mark. https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=331805

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Oh I’ve listened to that Wayne. You could barely hear Stephen Bell. Only really said they were holding meetings, that he, Bell, was from the TB industry and the new ratings would be like there’s. Nothing there on the nitty gritty for those of us that have already figured out the basics.

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Only posted the link as the release of the podcast was mentioned Dot.
    Also mentioned discussion(?) paper to be released after the last session.

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Sorry Wayne, heard about the discussion paper too, but after the sessions imo is too late. More information should have been released before the consultation sessions so those responses could be built into the consultation sessions. HBNSW is the only industry body I aware of that released the original HRA document I linked in the opening post of this thread and sort input from their members. I’m also a member of HBV and received nothing from them, nothing from the owner/trainer associations and nothing from the governing body in the state I reside or any other one. I did not even see a release from HRA themselves about their proposed new system on harness.org.au.

This in my opinion is very sloppy management of the most significant change Harness racing has seen in decades and very poor treatment of participants who are directly impacted by the changes, particularly those who’s livelihood may be effected

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    I was surprised info wasn't made available before the sessions started in Vic. Even though, it seemed, many who attended the session I went to were well informed, a link to a download could have been provided with the notification of the sessions.
    I believe there will be another round of sessions, I think, after the roadshow goes to Tas and SA. Would imagine, hope, any further papers will be released before the next round.
    Had heard not many are happy with WA's system but the WA administrators feel the HRA one is flawed as well. Interestingly, perhaps merely coincidental, the HRA chap heading up the new model is from WA.

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    https://m.soundcloud.com/hrv-2/hrvs-...mation-podcast

The “real” podcast. Informative but still questions to be asked, and I suggest anyone who has queries raises them with Stephen Bell or Cam Brown, the only way to get the best outcome is to delve into the nooks and crannys of the system, find the bugs and iron them out. One point that I’ll be raising and certainly concerned me was from Stephen Bell where he said a 2yo on getting its first win will go into the band system. Also very limited information on programming as the states handle that but twice 5 point ratings bands for race were mentioned, ratings point band width for programming along with field size will impact on how the matrix operates.

There are flaws in the WA system, as there will be in any system Wayne, and there are people who are unhappy, much of which has to do with the implementation process as much as anything else. There are concerns about the lack of consultation from RWWA which is true, and how complicated the system is. It’s doesn’t just handicap horses but impacts on where they can be placed to race, and certainly has thrown up some interesting fields based on horses previous assesments and form, particularly standing starts.

As far as WA thinks the HRA model is flawed, West Australians as a whole think they are seperate to the rest of the country and tend to want to do things their way and different to the rest.

+ Reply to Thread