Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with MELTON

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    Surely this must ring alarm bells for HRV, I doubt very much this gentleman is alone in his thoughts

Dave_Baron
    @nuffnuff68
    ·
    16h
    Replying to
    @jimmycrumbler
    Said this before.
    Loved MV
    Know it's
    @Tabcorp_Park
    now.
    Been there twice.
    Will never go back.
    Soleless place.
    No warmth
    Just a building to house pokies, bistro and hotel.
    Think harness is actually an inconvenience.
    Country tracks would be better.
    So much for home of harness 👎
    Don't know Dave Baron, but he could be me. Mirrors my experiences and thought to a tee!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    To be fair I should mention that there are a few things about Melton that are ok.
    The horse stables are pretty good. The roof should have been higher to make it cooler in summer.
    The track itself is ok.
    The location doesn't bother me as long as they race on Saturday nights.
    The car parking is ok, don't have the long walk that MV had.
    Free entry.
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    On racing.com's Sunday Edition of The Wrap (gallops review program)
    They were debating the proposed changes to Moonee Valley
    Jim McGrath brought up the Showgrounds "It was the most fantastic atmosphere"
    He said the trots were an example of going from the Showgrounds to Moonee Valley and now Melton "AND LOST IT ALL - the track became too big"
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    On racing.com's Sunday Edition of The Wrap (gallops review program)
    They were debating the proposed changes to Moonee Valley
    Jim McGrath brought up the Showgrounds "It was the most fantastic atmosphere"
    He said the trots were an example of going from the Showgrounds to Moonee Valley and now Melton "AND LOST IT ALL - the track became too big"
    Flemington, Caulfield, Randwick, Rosehill do ok with big tracks though!

Seriously MV is enough to put you off punting. Lys Gracieux would have won that by 5lengths yesterday at any other track and things were looking dicey at the 400m. Track played a part in the $1.80 shot getting beat in Friday night's Gp1 as well.
    Last edited by aussiebreno; 10-27-2019 at 04:53 PM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I think they were concentrating on on-course experience in their debate
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    I think they were concentrating on on-course experience in their debate
    Location and general interest in harness racing of far greater importance than track size. Haven't been to MV but energy is electric at those other gallops meetings when there is a Gp1 meeting on. Maybe MV atmosphere is better, but harness is miles below the other 4 major metro tracks so that's the main problem.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    We had some serious experience on The Wrap (including International) Brendan and they said that Happy Valley is the only one close to MV
    What if interest in harness racing had to do with track size (and location)
    They were referring to track size and viewing experience as well as the atmosphere it created when they were wrapping MV - you need to have been there
    You are not old enough to have been to the Showgrounds so like Jim said he was, I guess I am talking to the oldies
    Jim McGrath born in Charlton (trots town!) but BBC's senior racing commentator for 15yrs (until BBC lost rights)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    We had some serious experience on The Wrap (including International) Brendan and they said that Happy Valley is the only one close to MV
    What if interest in harness racing had to do with track size (and location)
    They were referring to track size and viewing experience as well as the atmosphere it created when they were wrapping MV - you need to have been there
    You are not old enough to have been to the Showgrounds so like Jim said he was, I guess I am talking to the oldies
    Jim McGrath born in Charlton (trots town!) but BBC's senior racing commentator for 15yrs (until BBC lost rights)
    Track size is just the cherry on top when the product and location are right.

Flemington is massive, twice the size of Melton and you get but just a small glimpse of the horses at Flem. Will have over 80,000 there tomorrow.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It will take 80,000 to get some atmosphere
    I am afraid if you never got to the Showgrounds, one just cannot explain how Melton and Menangle could never replicate the atmosphere.
    For a start they would need a grandstand in the back straight but that is going to be too far away from the home straight grandstand to get that cauldron atmosphere
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    It will take 80,000 to get some atmosphere
    I am afraid if you never got to the Showgrounds, one just cannot explain how Melton and Menangle could never replicate the atmosphere.
    For a start they would need a grandstand in the back straight but that is going to be too far away from the home straight grandstand to get that cauldron atmosphere
    Don't doubt Showgrounds had second to none atmosphere but the 'lost it all' because of track being too big is wrong. If we were still at the Showgrounds we would still be in a similar predicament to today because the product still wouldn't grab the attention in the modern market with so many other options.

+ Reply to Thread