Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: George Aiken

triplev123

George Aiken

I read this morning of George Aiken's passing on Friday, November 11th.

Back in about 1987 it was George who, at a dispersal sale conducted by Parramatta Livestock, swung his gavil and sold me my first horse, an in-foal broodmare. I remember his in the ring comment was "Look at the udder on her, plenty of milk for the foal".
    Later he was instrumental in setting up the APG & he was a Director on the very 1st APG Board. With George's encouragement I sold a yearling in the 2nd APG Sale ever.

I used to cross paths with George & his son Mike quite often at HP when David was on fire out there, his stable landing winner after winner after winner at the time. George was always good for sound advice if you asked him & he was never in too much of a hurry to talk.
    While I can't say that he ever specifically told me what I should do, George had a way of getting across to you what he thought you should not do...which is often just as good, if not better than anything.
    He saved my bacon on one or two occasions over the years when he saw me showing a bit of interest in a mare or a yearling that he didn't think a whole lot of.
    One time at Randwick I had my eye on this yearling colt and George noticed.
    I asked him what his opinion was and he said rather diplomatically "You should ask yourself, do I really need this horse?". That was enough. It his way of saying sit on your hands and let it go to someone else. He was right, it couldn't beat time with a stick.

I didn't have much at all to do with George once Parramatta Livestock closed down & then lost track of Mike after he went to work for one of the Sydney newspapers. I've spoken to David maybe a couple of times over the years, each time I was passing on a message or two from Jimmy Cruise, a mutual aquaintance that we have in the USA, but that's pretty much about it.

George's ever-lasting legacy will be, his ever-lasting legacy IS the APG.
    Without his vision it would never have been. To that end alone I am eternally grateful.
    Next February when I'm out at Randwick and the hammer is falling as the yearlings sell, I'll also no doubt once again think fondly of another of George's calls..."The bid is with the man in the hat under the tree"..and as always once again, I'll turn to look and see a couple of hundred blokes wearing hats sitting & standing under the tree.

Goodbye George & thank you.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Yes, vale George Aiken , a true harness racing legend in many people's eyes and unsung hero of the industry.

Senior Member 4YO Don Corleone has a spectacular aura about Don Corleone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Fidow
    Occupation
    Sec Cons
    Nice story triple. Again it reflects some of the great characters and neat people that pass by us in this game who in some way, big or small, touch us and leave their mark.

+ Reply to Thread