Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stallion books to be limited to 150 (and more)

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Stallion books to be limited to 150 (and more)

http://www.harness.org.au/media-room...?news_id=43998

No more 347 (free) services like Mr Feelgood in 14/15
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I think it's a good idea but 10 years too late. Unlimited books lead to the closing of many studs and reduced the stallion pool greatly. They still need to help the colonial stallions with some bonuses .
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Im Ok with it now
    Last edited by KTQ; 07-27-2020 at 11:21 AM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Katie, going by last seasons figures only 5 stallions served more than 150 mares in Australia. BD and AI were not in the 5 . So if they are sold out already you could say this new limit has increased their numbers. I think BD and some other imports already had limits lower than 150 placed on them by their owners. Probably so they could boost the fee.

Captain Crunch is not a "Proven Stallion" so why consider him ? You said they only breed to "Proven Stallions".

Under the limits a stallion can "serve" 150 mares, not get 150 in foal. So you shouldn't get that 151st foal you mention.

It is much better for the long term future of the breed to have a larger gene pool of stallions available. These so called lesser stallions will get a better chance to produce more top line foals and become proven stallions.

Personally I don't judge stallions by the prices their yearlings bring at sales, I prefer winners/foals and stakes/foal. I think this current mentality of trying to produce high priced yearlings is killing the breeding industry.

Warning the industry earlier would not have prevented the rush to book to the top few stallions. Don't forget stallions can still serve another load of mares in NZ and many of those foals will end up here !

The way the breeding industry was heading we would have ended up with only 4 or 5 studs left in Australia. That couldn't be good, this will keep more studs alive.

Anyway that's my 2cents worth, I'm sure many will disagree.
    Last edited by gutwagon; 06-19-2020 at 02:33 PM.
    Don't die wondering !

Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Last edited by KTQ; 07-27-2020 at 11:21 AM.

Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Katie, one mare counts as one mare being served regardless of how many times it is inseminated.
    Don't die wondering !

Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    I swear my brain is painted on sometimes

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    I didn't see this coming and I do not understand the motivation for it. Stallion books used to be limited to 125 mares. Books were opened under the fear of a restraint of trade challenge.

It will be interesting to see if a restraint of trade challenge materialises this time. It appears the likes of Harness Breeders Victoria, of which I am no longer a member, has been blindsided by HRA's decision. HRA gave no reasons or background for the decision when announcing it.

One thing is for certain. It will not encourage people to breed more horses. The continued decline of the horse population is the real, and only, issue.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    From this Statement by Haras Des Trotteurs in support of a limit

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/Statement-from

It would seem that some of the other big boys are fighting it
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    From this Statement by Haras Des Trotteurs in support of a limit

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/Statement-from

It would seem that some of the other big boys are fighting it
    I read this, also the HRA media release today and still cannot see where there was any consultation prior to this "decision" from left field being handed down. It appears Andrew Kelly is a convert to the Dan Andrews' methods of transparency and management. Reading Pat Driscoll's statement suggest to me he may have had access to Kelly's ear, but what would I know. His opening line "I have no axe to grind with Woodlands, Nevele R, Alabar......" reminds me of that other great opening line, usually reserved for Parliament, "With all due respect". This is usually interpreted to mean "I have no respect and I am about to unload on you".

In the early 1990's stallion services were limited to 125 mares. The limits were scrapped in fear of any legal challenge as they could be seen as a restraint of trade. Yes, a lot of smaller studs have become unviable in the last quarter century but that is not necessarily a bad thing. The breeding processes today bare little resemblance to what it was when I started. Transporting a mare with a foal at foot seems sillier today as it did back then and is no longer necessary.

Scrapping service limits made purchase of better credentialed stallions a more viable proposition. The Australasian standardbred of today, especially Australian ones, are more than comparable with their North American cousins on the track. The North American superiority has diminished somewhat.

So, how is reintroducing service limits actually going to improve our waning horse population? Perhaps, it will provide an unexpected boost to NZ breeders. In the end, it is breeders voting with their dollars that will determine the success or failure of stallions, studs and harness racing in general. Limiting books will be a disincentive to buy into premium stallions and, as the thieving thoroughbred industry continues to prove, drives service fees higher.

I look down the back paddock and see my remaining two mares (aged 27 and 28) sunning themselves and believe their, and my, quality of life has improved since we have away the breeding game.

+ Reply to Thread