PDA

View Full Version : Menangle Prizemoney Increases

aussiebreno
03-13-2011, 05:35 PM
http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=15638
Wow. Notice its just Menangle and not whole NSW; the heat and final series is just fluff.

The statewide stuff = 180 heats. Lets say a heat at Newcastle, a heat at Bathurst, a heat at Wagga per final. That means there is 60finals. Over a C0, C1, C2, C3, C4 and C5 horses and maybe even C6+ that doesnt leave many oppurtunities to win a final...What would the finals be worth? $20K? When the Sydney country graders will be racing $12K day in day out. HRNSW should put there foot down; either demand a larger share of the HP sale or not give Menangle as much prizemoney as they give to the country tracks.

Its all good for Menangle and I am all for the raises and they are perfectly entitled to just keep it at Menangle but I am still not happy!

buster
03-13-2011, 05:44 PM
I think the nsw prizemoney was coming from the race fields legislation and it's back in court again

mango
03-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Good to see the country is getting catered for aswell, when first reading it was all about Menangle maybe they should include all prize money increases.

triplev123
03-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Harness racing in NSW a major winner

Trots set to return to the good old days

Sunday March 13 2011

by Dale Walker

UNBELIEVABLE - those were the words most were uttering following a major announcement at in relation to prizemoney increases at Tabcorp Park Menangle today by the New South Wales Harness Racing Club.

All class of horse is catered for, with the elite through to the country performed pacer and trotter.

On the back of the sale of Harold Park, NSWHRC Chairman Rex Horne announced that close to six million dollars would go into prizemoney from July 1 this year which will be incorporated into stages.

The second stage (1Jan 2012) of increases will have the most impact with the Miracle Mile going from $500,000 to $750,000, the NSW Derby and NSW Oaks up from $100,000 to $200,000, the Ladyship Mile from $100,000 to $200,000 and the same for the Len Smith Mile.

NSWHRC have also added a further automatic qualifier to the Miracle Mile in the Popular Alm Sprint, which will carry $75,000 in prizemoney. A week later the Cordina Sprint will increase from $50,000 to $75,000 and the same for the Bohemia Crystal.

The Chariots of Fire will hold its worth at $200,000 but there are increases in the qualifiers such as the Paleface Adios and Hondo Grattan from $20,000 to $40,000.

There will be 180 heats staged through the country circuit worth $8000 each with the finals to be run at Tabcorp Park Menangle being Metropolitan free. To be eligible horses much reach a certain criteria.

No horse stabled within a 100 kilometre radius of Tabcorp Park Menangle will be eligible and those horses must have been in its regional NSW stable for a period of at least 28 days.

Penrith (Renshaw Cup), Newcastle (Newcastle Mile) and Bulli (Linden Huntley Little Memorial) will all be given an additional $50,000 for their feature meeting to run metropolitan class support races.

The square-gaiters are also set to boom.

The Trotters Mile has increased from $50,000 to $100,000 whilst the Franco Australia has increased by $20,000 to $40,000 and the Macarthur Cup up to $40,000 .The Oaks and Derby have also increased to $40,000 races where previously $20,000.

To boost field capacity at Tabcorp Park Menangle on Monday and Tuesday programmes, each horse that is nominated will receive a $50 fuel card. If the trainer nominates five horses he/she will receive $250. Local trainers will be given a $25 fuel card per horse.

Horne also indicated that the NSWHRC intend to make Tabcorp Park the home of the Australian Derby and Oaks and are keen to secure rights to the Inter-Dominion.

Stage one will be from the new financial year 2011 to Dec 31 2011.

Country fronts from $8,000 to $10,000
MO-M1 from $14,000 to $16,000
M2 from $16,000 to $17,000
FFA Cups rom $20,000 to $25,000

Stage 2; January 1 2012

Country Fronts $12,000
Winter C’Ship hts from $8,000 –to $14,000
MO-M1 $22,000
M2-M3 $24,000
M4+ $26,000
FFA Cups $40,000

Trotters;
TO $12,000
Trotters heats $14,000
Metro Trot $22,000
NSW Oaks $40,000
NSW Derby $40,000
Macarthur Cup $40,000
Franco Australia $40,000

Features
Miracle Mile $750,000
NSW Oaks $200,000
NSW Derby $200,000
Ladyship Mile $200,000
Len Smith Mile $200,000
Cordina Sprint $75,000
Popular Alm Sprint $75,000
Bohemia Crystal $75,000
Trotters Mile $100,000

The above is a vast majority of the increases that NSWHRC have on the table, with many of the carnival lead in races to features being increased also.

aussiebreno
03-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Hey tripleV not a fan of clicking on links lol

mango
03-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Hey Triple

As you were at the meeting yesterday could you tell me what the prize money is for

Tier 1 races

Tier 2 races

buster
03-13-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm sorry but menangle is bigger then country nsw - it's now for the entire eastern states, it's not on Harold park to resolve the mis management of hrnsw

but yes the prizemoney is only going to help the big stables or people who occasionally get the freak horse

I'd like to see at least 250 for any horse that makes a metro race - and what ever is left is spilt the usual way

aussiebreno
03-13-2011, 10:03 PM
I'm sorry but menangle is bigger then country nsw - it's now for the entire eastern states, it's not on Harold park to resolve the mis management of hrnsw

but yes the prizemoney is only going to help the big stables or people who occasionally get the freak horse

I'd like to see at least 250 for any horse that makes a metro race - and what ever is left is spilt the usual way
Taking the menangle is bigger than country nsw comment and going to town on it here.
Forget Menangle having shitloads of cash and how they spend it.
Lets look at NSW harness racing as a whole.
Who are the good horses its had in the last 10/15 years?
Smooth Satin, Our Sir Vancelot, Double Identity, Jofess, Lombo Pocket Watch, Karloo Mick.

Smooth Satin is from Bathurst - a country nsw horse.
Jofess was from Junee - a country nsw horse
our sir vancelot was from Junee - a country nsw horse
Karloo Mick is from Dubbo and races in woop woop every 2nd week - a country nsw horse

Double Identity would have loved Menangle and was a city horse
LPW was also a city horse

4-2 NSW Country.

Lets look at the no. of participants
There are 3 meetings in the city each week; with a quarter of the horses being visitors.
Country NSW usually has 6 or 7 meetings a week with local horses.

Country NSW >>> City NSW

Industry people.
The NSW Trainers Association president is Neil Day...from the country.
Yirribee, Golden Gait, Pepper Tree, Success Stud, RM7...what stud is in the city area?

Then you look at the people coming back to Menangle...the McCarthys...where are they from? Country NSW!

Admittedly a Menangle meeting brings in more of the punters money for the Metro meetings....but you can only race one metro meeting a week...which means country racing as they have more meetings brings in more punting dollars.

Land value is about the only thing the city has over the country.

triplev123
03-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Sorry breno, brain not functioning at the time, had not long woken up when I sent that through.
Didn't go to the meeting Mango, got home from work at around 4:00am and was absolutely dog tired.
Dad & my Brother went though. Only spoke to them briefly but they seemed to be very upbeat about what they'd heard.

triplev123
03-14-2011, 01:09 PM
Just been over it in a little more detail and Rex & the Board are to be congratulated. Absolutely wonderful stuff. The positive implications for the long-term future of the Harness Racing Industry in this State are absolutely enormous and on so many levels too. Existing Trainers & Drivers will be able to make full-time careers of their involvement, aspiring Trainers & Drivers will have a genuine career path available to them, Owners will not only be able to cover their costs but God forbid, they'll actually have a genuine shot at turning a profit, Breeders will no doubt see a greater demand for their stock, the many & varied goods & service providers to the Industry will see a similar upswing in their business. It's all good. I can't wait.

buster
03-14-2011, 01:29 PM
stand by for inflation of every horse associated cost

art major will be 35k next year

***this post seems alot more negative then its supposed to be

mango
03-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Hey Buster

I thought Art Major was pricey as it is and know one in there right mind would pay $35k so i hope your joking.

mightymo
03-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Art Major will not be going up. If anything, his price may actually come down. Not because he isnt doing a fantastic job, but rather to align with sales prices

triplev123
03-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Buster, if it was raining Gold you'd be the bloke standing by the window, complaining about the weather.

buster
03-14-2011, 04:23 PM
my post was a joke..but anyway

i can hardly see them putting down his fee, itll only start a bidding war between them, bettors delight, rockn roll, heaven, cullen and mach 3

mightymo
03-14-2011, 06:15 PM
at least 2 of the major studs have acknowledged privately that stud fees are too high, so Im tipping there is a pretty good chance we will see reductions

mango
03-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Hi Mightymo

We can only hope or they should even try what they do in the states if you get a filly you only pay half the service fee.

triplev123
03-14-2011, 07:54 PM
my post was a joke..but anyway

i can hardly see them putting down his fee, itll only start a bidding war between them, bettors delight, rockn roll, heaven, cullen and mach 3

You'll be counted amongst those who will be surprised by what will happen next season then Buster.
The competition is set to heat up big time & I've heard the same rumblings as Mightymo.
They're not going to come out and say so in the Industry Press right now but basically the continued strength of Oz dollar has given the major farms some unexpected 'room to move' in terms of the current fee structure.
Further to that I understand at least 2 of them & more than likely 3 are set to use that room to move to full advantage.
It should be interesting.
Of course, to greater or to lesser degrees they'll no doubt each attempt to paint such moves as magnanimous, altrustic gestures on behalf of the greater good :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: but the true basis will be, as always, purely economic in nature.

triplev123
03-14-2011, 08:08 PM
THAT'S what we need Mango. Whilst fillies continue to get smashed at the sales because they are for the most part forced to have to race against their male counterparts or not at all...their fees should be reduced in kind.

mango
03-14-2011, 08:17 PM
If they did it wouldn't be classed as a risk at sending your mare's to the top $$$ stallions.

triplev123
03-14-2011, 08:45 PM
G'day Mango,
I floated the idea with a couple of Stud people whilst attending the Sydney APG and they were not particularly receptive to the idea. That being said, I think the first Farm to offer across the board Pay On Live Foal hand in hand with discounted service fees for filly foals will run the table, no question whatsoever.

buster
03-14-2011, 10:01 PM
You'll be counted amongst those who will be surprised by what will happen next season then Buster.
The competition is set to heat up big time & I've heard the same rumblings as Mightymo.
They're not going to come out and say so in the Industry Press right now but basically the continued strength of Oz dollar has given the major farms some unexpected 'room to move' in terms of the current fee structure.
Further to that I understand at least 2 of them & more than likely 3 are set to use that room to move to full advantage.
It should be interesting.
Of course, to greater or to lesser degrees they'll no doubt each attempt to paint such moves as magnanimous, altrustic gestures on behalf of the greater good :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: but the true basis will be, as always, purely economic in nature.

lets hope so, if the big guys are pushed down then so are the 2nd tier stallions andddd that is good because it puts very good horses like mccardle, courage, falcon seelster in the reach of the average breeder who doesnt have unlimited funds
the breed will go bang in 5 years

hopefully we'll reach the point in nsw when prizemoney isn't reliant on owners paying up for them

mango
03-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Couldn't agree more Buster/Triple only time will tell, if one of the major studs do it they will still make there money out of increased services to there stallions just at a cheaper price so it will be a win win situation for everyone.

triplev123
03-15-2011, 11:34 AM
The crucial point about Service Fees as related to NSW prizemoney is that the $$$ set to become available in NSW will lead all others by open lengths.
Further to that, the remaining States here in Oz will either remain static or struggle to maintain, with the latter applying to NZ also. If more than just one State here in Oz had stepped up to make significant prizemoney increases there might be a case for fees to remain at their current levels or even, dare I suggest it, increase.
However, even when you take the excellent new prizemoney levels at Menangle and across NSW in general into consideration, a head to head comparison of the overall $$$ that we can race for in the Southern Hemisphere versus that which our US & CAN counterparts have available to them, combined with respective yearling sale results, still sees us come well up short. Though there are some bargains to be had here and there, relatively speaking, service fees here in Oz & NZ are already too high and when the current Oz dollar to USD exchange is taken into account, it's a no-brainer for mine. In Oz dollar terms at least, service fees appear to have significant room to reduce. It'll be interesting to see who makes the first move.
Another aspect is that we need to focus upon producing and patronising our own Sires. I've said this a number of times in the past in a couple of different forums...and as much as it pains me to defer to the Thoroughbreds, they have it right on the money in that regard. They are much more given to looking towards the best locally bred & performed sons of the best shuttle sires as their future sires. We should take a leaf from their book.

buster
03-15-2011, 07:51 PM
sad to see the biggest news in harness racing since the tab was sold only got about 5 lines in the smh today

mango
03-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Hey Buster

Where lucky that we got 5 lines so we should be happy with that.

triplev123
03-15-2011, 09:54 PM
I NEVER read The Sydney Morning Fishwrapping. Fairfax upper echelon management has allowed it to degenerate into a Leftist Rag.

justdoit
03-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Pay on live foal is hard, to put off receiving your income for 12 months would be hard on any business. The stallion owners would also have to wait for their money, which is a hard sell when other stud farms will be offering the norm.
If the studs are not cashed up or good on credit I say it is impossible.
Once you get it started it is great for the majority of breeders IMO.

Service fees going down? i hope so, this happens for a number of reasons-
1. Fee to high affecting bookings
2. Few bookings:) etc etc
3. your go_____

buster
03-15-2011, 11:03 PM
I NEVER read The Sydney Morning Fishwrapping. Fairfax upper echelon management has allowed it to degenerate into a Leftist Rag.

you havent read Rush Limbaugh's latest book triple v?

montana
03-16-2011, 10:04 AM
... discounted service fees for filly foals will run the table, no question whatsoever.

maybe a compromise might be for the stallion owners to offer a discount or even a free return to the stallion if the foal is a filly.

Aequitas
03-16-2011, 12:59 PM
you havent read Rush Limbaugh's latest book triple v?

Maybe TripleV is more of an Alex Jones man