PDA

View Full Version : Ohokas Bondy

aussiebreno
03-16-2011, 09:35 PM
I will forgive you if you have never heard of this horse; but in doing so you must forgive me for the same sin.
He has won 11/21 but what makes it so good? He lost his first 10 in NZ before coming to Aust, meaning he is 11/11 in Aust. 4/4 last season as a 2yo and now 7/7 as a 3yo. He beat Go West You Terror (who I have heard of) and he's even beat some lesser horses Ive heard of; Blissful Boy etc. How come the West Aussies havent given me a media barrage of this bloke? Mighty Atom and/or somebody else how do you rate him?

Mighty Atom
03-16-2011, 10:28 PM
aussiebreno, same old dilemma, he's beaten nothing. The connections were taking him over for the Vic Derby heats along with I'm A Rocket Star ( Hunter Cup ) but I A R sustained a leg injury in W A Cup,so didn't go. The Derby heats would have tested his ability.But I wouldn't under estimate G.Bond because they are leaving no stone unturned to buy the best N.Z has to offer. As for Go West You Terror, there was an exercise in futility in taking him East. The horse was ready for the paddock before he left. As far as ability goes,that's a ? but I don't like judging two year old's - theyr'e still babies. The one horse I would have liked to have seen go East was Matthew James,but unfortunately he died.

triplev123
03-17-2011, 11:11 AM
James Matthew was something else. I also thought a lot of Parson's Dragon but don't know where he has gone to of late. We've got a WA bred 2yo over here that can really roll. Leased him to a mate of ours as a yearling and he got him up & going. It's great gaited, has a lick of of high speed and he's tough, from a Northern Lights mare we bought in foal to Parson's Den from Ross Torre a few years ago now. With the dissolving of Royalstar I'd heard on the grapevine that the stallion was going to stand stud over this way next season.

Don Corleone
03-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Ohoka's Bondy always looked like he would develop into a nice enough horse. All his racing here was as a 2 year old and he was one of a few that was just below the top ones. He will do a good job in Oz

mango
03-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Hi Mighty Atom

I reckon he wouldn't of been out of place in the Vic derby, he is a very nice horse with a lot of potential and G.Bond is buying some nice horses from n.z but with prize money set to soar in n.s.w he might have his work cut out buying over there.

Chompsky
03-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Faces possibly his biggest test to date in the West on Friday night.
Drawn one with Lovers Delight NZ drawn right beside him.

Mighty Atom
03-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Hi mango, Yes, with the big stakes rise in N.S.W. there could be a buying frenzy in N.Z. Breeders and owners alike will be smiling.

mango
03-19-2011, 06:30 AM
Ohokas Bondy Wins Again

Didn't see the race only the result, interesting to note it was a Bettor's Delight trifecta and was Ohokas Bondy's slowest winning mile rate since comming from n.z but it doesn't matter about the time as long as you win.

Greg Hando
03-19-2011, 02:06 PM
I saw his first few starts out here and was very impressed by him seems to have a bit of bottom about him but not over big either i think also the 3 placegetter's have Smooth Fella up close on the Dam's side

Mighty Atom
03-19-2011, 06:07 PM
A win is a win I suppose but what a boring race. Ohokas Bondy goes straight to the front,keeps the only opposition(Lovers Delight) locked in behind him and then proceeds at a snails pace all the way around.If anyone turned up at G.P. to see an exciting race they would have been sadly disappointed. No wonder people are staying away from the trots.

buster
03-20-2011, 03:33 PM
not up the derby class

mango
03-20-2011, 04:24 PM
With his form and time's he can run he wouldn't of been out of place in a derby field.

buster
03-20-2011, 04:46 PM
With his form and time's he can run he wouldn't of been out of place in a derby field.

cant compare WA times with Eastern times, ransom olds by your reasoning should have been up to derby class, but he wasn't, he ran outstanding times and has form from NZ around the horses your talking about ohokas bondy, lovers delight

mango
03-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Ransom olds has gone 2.00.9 mr over 2200m at Forbury (1000m track)

Ohokas Bondy has gone 1.57.7 mr over 2100m at Gloucestar Park (800m track)

So how do you say by my reasoning Ransom Olds should have been up to Derby class as looking at his time's and track size difference compared to Ohokas Bondy i would not.

mightymo
03-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Ohokas Bondy would murder Ransom Olds. That being said, I dont think Ohokas Bondy is up to the Sushi Sushi's of the world

mango
03-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Hi Mightymo

Not many would be up to Sushi Sushi's class and i wouldn't dare say that but i reckon looking a the Derby field he would not of been out of place.

buster
03-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Ransom olds ran 1.54

Neither horse is up to derby class, which is what I said in my original post

mango
03-20-2011, 08:41 PM
I wasn't worried about the short course time cause if i had of been i would of included Ohokas Bondy 1.54 flat and Ransom Olds 1.54.9, Looking through the Vic derby field i'd put money on Ohokas Bondy to at least beat 2 or 3 of them. I never said he would of won it i just said i don't think he would look out of place. So are you saying that all the horses in the Vic Derby are better horses than Ohokas Bondy.

buster
03-20-2011, 09:12 PM
He would have beaten I'm the liberator and glengowan and I suppose royal verdict because he had an issue, those 2 horses were simply making up numbers and it showed, why they feel the need for 12 horses in a race I'll never know

The horse is a hood horse in the west and that is it, eastern states colts are better then him and so are the kiwis

triplev123
03-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Hey Buster, early on in the piece that's what all the East Coast & NZ pundits were saying about Senior's horse, ITMQ.
They've all gone pretty quiet lately. ;)

buster
03-20-2011, 10:41 PM
ITMQ is a nice horse - but we all saw in the hunter cup hes a 1 trick pony

Mighty Atom
03-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Once again buster your mouth is shooting off before your brain is analyzing what your saying. ITMQ can beat anything you've got in Victoria. And from what I can make out you are a Vic.

nat
03-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Hey buster I like Glengowan and see real potential in him just don't know if it will be found racing lesser lights at GD he has run some good time there that show me he has potential

nat
03-20-2011, 11:32 PM
And his one trick is good enough for him to beat near on anything

Give me that one trick anyday

buster
03-21-2011, 12:09 AM
no doubt glengowan a lovely horse nat

and ITMQs one trick couldnt win him a hunter cup 2 years in a row - stand by for his supporters to go mad here

Mighty Atom
03-21-2011, 12:16 AM
cant compare WA times with Eastern times, ransom olds by your reasoning should have been up to derby class, but he wasn't, he ran outstanding times and has form from NZ around the horses your talking about ohokas bondy, lovers delight
Hello buster, didn't get a chance to watch racing at Bathurst & Melton but the tracks must have been a quagmire to have posted times like that at both tracks.and even then it wouldn't have been an excuse. Check out Bunbury's times - more than comparable with yours. Belhelvie going 1.56 over 2100 and David Hercules 1.58 on his ear over 2100.

Mighty Atom
03-21-2011, 12:27 AM
Don't ever underestimate the ability of the West to produce an outstanding horse. Do you know there have been only two horses in the past forty years to win Aus's three big races (Interdominions, Miracle Mile and Hunter Cup ) and they are both from W.A. - Village Kid & Preux Chevalier.

nat
03-21-2011, 12:36 AM
ITMQ Liftime Earnings $1,3367,654 Starts 66-26-13-10 not bad for a one trick pony the raced the first 2 year in what can only be said as a classic crop of 2 & 3yld in NZ tell me you must consider the travel to and from WA not many top horse have headed west from the east and come out in front over the years.

Village Kid
03-21-2011, 12:56 AM
Bit silly to rate Glengowan on his Vic Derby run, he was tailed off after bungling the start so it was a complete forget run. Abettorpunt did run 5th in that Vic Derby Final, and Glengowan handled him easily enough over here in the SA Derby.

As for Imthemightqyuinn, he is basically a sit sprinter, however its a pretty handy one trick to have when you have a turn of foot like he does. There was not one Victorian horse who could beat him home in his Vic Cup/Cranboune Cup/Hunter Cup Campaign earlier this year, only the Kiwis and Mr Feelgood. And he beat those horses in the Auckland Cup.

He's a worthy contender and a rightful Inters favourite.

triplev123
03-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Buster writes [ ITMQ is a nice horse - but we all saw in the hunter cup hes a 1 trick pony]

The Hunter Cup???? That's the measuring stick????? Seems those VIC's have done a nice old job on you Buster.
You forgot to sign that off with "See you at Centre Square at The G" (which I understand is traditionally said whilst checking the moleskins for any blemish, unbuttoning the top two on the blue chambray shirt, putting on Ray Ban Aviators, tying a Tooralie Jumper around shoulders and strolling off down the road in a pair of RM's that have never once seen dirt). :p 3200m SS Discretionary Handicaps are the Crocodiles of Harness Racing...they are hideous left-overs from the Age of the Dinosaurs.

buster
03-21-2011, 12:41 PM
no i just thought id mention the hunter cup as it sends ITMQ supporters off their heads

but raises another point - i think the hunter cup is the premier event outside the inter final, allows horses to be handicapped, has a strong lead up to it and is over a reasonable distance

mango
03-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Hi Buster

I do like seeing horses run over a bit of distance, Derbies, Hunter Cup, Auckland Cup, N.Z Cup and the Inter. I sometime's think we get caught up in the mile racing cause of the quick time's. I'd like to see more 2300m racing at Menangle.

nat
03-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Hi mango

One thing about mile racing at Menangle is it dose well for NSW breeding is it looks good for stallion and broodmares in the states figures and in the sale catalogues at the sales

I like a bit of varieties and I think we have a good mix in the grand circuit race of distances and race conditions maybe one more sprint would be nice perhaps in the west

triplev123
03-21-2011, 03:56 PM
True. I'm no devotee of the horse Buster, moreso I dislike 2 mile DH Standing Start events. They're ridiculous in this day and age.

buster
04-09-2011, 03:35 PM
judgement justified

ohokas bondy runs mid field in his home town derby, can't see them travelling him unless something was majorly wrong

and ITMQ couldnt run down the VICTORIAN (this part is for you mighty atom)

Mighty Atom
04-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Savour it while you can buster because next year SU will be in the old age pensioner league. ITMQ is the new kid on the block. He couldn't run him down this time purely on the fact it was one run too many by ITMQ, Smoken Up was a lot fresher. As far as bringing SU to Perth next year forget it because he'd never handle the track. I would imagine they will retire Blacky before he turns 20 and smoken will be following.

buster
04-09-2011, 06:30 PM
i think smiling shard is the new kid on the block....