PDA

View Full Version : Motor Smoker

Smoken
05-25-2014, 12:33 AM
Very very sad :,(

Messenger
05-25-2014, 01:25 AM
The replay does not show it but it was obvious he was going to choke down. I see he fell - is he allright?

Smoken
05-25-2014, 01:33 AM
Unfortunately he was euthanised :( He was a horse I was very interested in following in the future! He had a bright future! Extremely sad for the horse and his connections and all involved.

Messenger
05-25-2014, 01:44 AM
On the replay he was in a zip fastener and choking down - to be euthanised he must have fallen awkwardly

Smoken
05-25-2014, 01:50 AM
He ran into the outside fence with a lot of force.

Messenger
05-25-2014, 01:57 AM
We all feel for the owner/breeders - it is so hard to get a good one and to lose him so tragically sucks big time. Poor horse

Smoken
05-25-2014, 02:07 AM
Agree man. Just devastating! Hope he is running free in the heavens!

HaroldParker
05-25-2014, 02:08 AM
On the replay he was in a zip fastener and choking down - to be euthanised he must have fallen awkwardly

I didn't have a bet on the race but I watched it. He was equal Fav and driven like a 1000-1 hope. It's terrible what happened to the horse and it should of been avoided.

brent_L
05-25-2014, 12:41 PM
I didn't have a bet on the race but I watched it. He was equal Fav and driven like a 1000-1 hope. It's terrible what happened to the horse and it should of been avoided.
Sad story but I tend to agree Bob. I backed him as he was clearly the best horse in the race and I was amazed the driver didn't decide to pull 3 wide to lead the train, especially considering the fast early pace. Is it possible however that the driver sensed something wasn't right?? I guess we will find out more when the inquiry is held.

HaroldParker
05-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Sad story but I tend to agree Bob. I backed him as he was clearly the best horse in the race and I was amazed the driver didn't decide to pull 3 wide to lead the train, especially considering the fast early pace. Is it possible however that the driver sensed something wasn't right?? I guess we will find out more when the inquiry is held.

They barely broke 2.01 for the Mile. The horse got fierce once engulfed by inferior horses and choked down. I honestly think he'd quit, thought he was too far off them, so let's try again next week. Unfortunately the Stewards in NSW and VIC have been letting them getting away with such tactics for far too long. A decade ago +, Stewards were all over it. If we're not careful our racing here will resemble the farce that is NZ racing where Stewards have been stone cold for decades.

I'd be interested to know whether staff numbers and funding indexed, is at a level now than it was 10-20 years ago ?

Messenger
05-25-2014, 03:46 PM
No doubt Michael Bellman will be asked at the inquiry, why he did not pull 3w entering the straight for the bell.

Smoken
05-25-2014, 04:45 PM
Probably should have pulled out, but how could one predict that something like this would happen! He would be feeling absolutely depressed! These things are simply devastating, for the horse involved and connections.

Messenger
05-25-2014, 09:09 PM
I was meaning he probably should have pulled out 'to be a winning chance' on one of the most favoured runners but on reviewing his racing pattern it would seem that he has been driven for luck in the past

Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild
05-25-2014, 11:59 PM
They barely broke 2.01 for the Mile. The horse got fierce once engulfed by inferior horses and choked down. I honestly think he'd quit, thought he was too far off them, so let's try again next week. Unfortunately the Stewards in NSW and VIC have been letting them getting away with such tactics for far too long. A decade ago +, Stewards were all over it. If we're not careful our racing here will resemble the farce that is NZ racing where Stewards have been stone cold for decades.

I'd be interested to know whether staff numbers and funding indexed, is at a level now than it was 10-20 years ago ?
WTF? A horse was involved in an unavoidable incident, and youre peddaling some crap about stewards, staff numbers and funding!!!

HaroldParker
05-26-2014, 03:25 AM
WTF? A horse was involved in an unavoidable incident, and youre peddaling some crap about stewards, staff numbers and funding!!!

It was absolutely avoidable.

Messenger
05-26-2014, 03:36 AM
Bit Noisy wins at Shepp by 16m in 1.55.8 - I would have expected to see a QIP in stewards comments

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=SP250514&ms=vic#SPB25051407

Richard prior
05-26-2014, 07:50 AM
Bit Noisy wins at Shepp by 16m in 1.55.8 - I would have expected to see a QIP in stewards comments

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=SP250514&ms=vic#SPB25051407

Won like a real nice horse at very good odds as well, Defintley worth a QIP!!

The Escape Club
05-28-2014, 12:44 AM
Vet reckons horse could have almost been dead before it hit the fence and was only carrying on with the adrenalin. The driver wasn't able to steer the horse at all.

brent_L
05-28-2014, 01:14 AM
Vet reckons horse could have almost been dead before it hit the fence and was only carrying on with the adrenalin. The driver wasn't able to steer the horse at all.
Ok, but would this have been avoidable by letting the horse stride 3 wide at the bell? I'm as much a horseman as I am a supermodel but to my eye this seemed avoidable with a more heady drive?
Cheers for the info Robert....did it come out of the inquiry??

brent_L
05-28-2014, 01:32 AM
Just read 'on inspection Dr Peter Ellis observed signs suggestive of an internal haemorrhage'. Can anyone tell me if this can occur as a result of choking down? Cheers

Danno
05-28-2014, 09:18 AM
Looked like the horse choked down to me but he could well have had other problems that were unseen. I know this can happen from experience, about twenty years ago I was driving a horse in a trial at Cessnock when all of a sudden he was unresponsive in the mouth, then started to wobble about and then crashed over the running rail ( we were still using running rails in 1994) The horse had died on his feet, presumably from a heart attack, he had been doing well in all his work, had qualified the week before quite easily...so yeah stuff can be going on inside the horse that nobody knows a about.

Toohard
05-28-2014, 12:19 PM
If the horse did have internal problem that made it 'panic' and get charging like it did its probably lucky the driver didn't come out 3 wide at the bell. If collapses in front of field or in field causes all sorts of carnage.

The Escape Club
05-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Ok, but would this have been avoidable by letting the horse stride 3 wide at the bell? I'm as much a horseman as I am a supermodel but to my eye this seemed avoidable with a more heady drive?
Cheers for the info Robert....did it come out of the inquiry??

It could have possibly come from the inquiry but that's not where I came by the information.

trish
05-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Leaving the front straight with one lap to travel, Motor Smoker, which was racing in the running line, commenced to pull extremely hard when covered by runners working 3 wide. Passing the 800m Motor Smoker became unbalanced and veered out checking Tabanan. Motor Smoker then began to stagger and veered out sharply in the back straight before contacting the outside fence at approximately the 700m and falling to the track. A post-race veterinary examination of Motor Smoker revealed that the gelding was deceased. Post-motem blood and urine samples were collected from the gelding. On inspection Dr Peter Ellis observed signs suggestive of an internal haemorrhage. An autopsy was ordered to assist in determining the cause of death. This post mortem examination was conducted on 25/05/2014 and no significant abnormalities could be found which would enable the cause of death to be conclusively determined.
Stunning Grin broke rounding the home

Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild
05-28-2014, 02:47 PM
Its hard enough to get a good one, let alone have something like this happen to it.

Messenger
05-28-2014, 09:38 PM
I guess we also have to wait until analsis of swabs