PDA

View Full Version : Melton Review

Messenger
06-02-2014, 12:04 AM
I am a bit late in starting this one but I have been away. I reckon if we cannot make a thread out of our weekly Metro meeting we are going to struggle to find ANYTHING to talk about

So for last Friday:

How clever was young Aiken's drive to get Composed the sit
Does anyone else think Chilli was a little disappointing despite the 55 half posted wide
Villagem continues to build
Both Jodi Quinlan and Illawong Armstrong looked far too good in the 2yo trotters classic

Richard prior
06-02-2014, 12:21 AM
Great drive on Gumdrops by Rod Petroff Kev.

Messenger
06-02-2014, 12:29 AM
Saw that one too Rich, I went for Josh Aiken's as he/the stable had a plan and he executed it perfectly

jackthepunter
06-02-2014, 12:38 AM
Great effort by bec,bartley to win 4 out of 5 junoir races

p plater
06-02-2014, 12:41 AM
Great drive on Gumdrops by Rod Petroff Kev.

Was a good drive but the stewards didn't think so, he got suspended

Richard prior
06-02-2014, 12:51 AM
Didn't know that Bailey, Probably to busy looking at little Gumdrops zipping through a small gap,Watched the replay again and Rod gave Gavvy a shunt on the way past which would explain the suspension. Young Josh was terrific on Composed and Illawong Armstrong was super impressive in the 2yr old trot. Bec Bartley continues to impress, Terrific young driver.

Smoken
06-02-2014, 03:06 AM
Little Gumdrops has blossomed into a super speedy Leprechaun :p Machin Out is bursting for some better luck along with Astronaut.
I for one think Chilli Palmer was average, Restrepo was just a big flop, Or was it that Lenny Jaws is simply on another level this time around? He was a very good horse last season, this time he looks like he is angry the way he races and just wants to explode away ferociously!

Messenger
06-07-2014, 03:10 AM
June 6

Brian Gath drives a double for Lance Justice, leading all the way and making sure he has enough left to break 28 for the last Q - what a master

The Italian Cup (I used to think this was a longer race) was somewhat ruined by Sugars and Alford trying to outdo each other leaving the home str just after the start - not sure who to blame

Cyrus won the Gp3 Empire Final like one SERIOUSLY good horse. His sire It Is I had the runner up in the first at 70/1 and it should not be long before she wins her M0

David Aiken trained a Quadrella (what do you call 4 winners?)

Overall it is was the night for the Trotters - I will leave that for someone else to review (Ash?). [I'm afraid that when I started following harness 50yrs ago, I never took the galloping trotters that seriously and have never really followed them]

Richard prior
06-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Great drive by Gavin Lang on Claudys Princess in the Oaks.

Toohard
06-07-2014, 05:03 PM
4 wide round last bend and leaders kicked away but still quick thinking enough to work out sprint lane was available. Genius!

3rd horse that race huge run. Started at (England) cricket score odds and big run.

Young Aitken drive on Cold Major a beauty too. Could have waited sprint lane but came off leaders back. Waits for sprint lane probably doesn't catch leader. Great drive.

Maorisidol
06-08-2014, 02:45 PM
June 6

Brian Gath drives a double for Lance Justice, leading all the way and making sure he has enough left to break 28 for the last Q - what a master

The Italian Cup (I used to think this was a longer race) was somewhat ruined by Sugars and Alford trying to outdo each other leaving the home str just after the start - not sure who to blame

Cyrus won the Gp3 Empire Final like one SERIOUSLY good horse. His sire It Is I had the runner up in the first at 70/1 and it should not be long before she wins her M0

David Aiken trained a Quadrella (what do you call 4 winners?)

Overall it is was the night for the Trotters - I will leave that for someone else to review (Ash?). [I'm afraid that when I started following harness 50yrs ago, I never took the galloping trotters that seriously and have never really followed them]

Thnx Kev, ill give it a whirl...
We started the night with the return to the track of Blitzthemcalder, $1.60 Fav up against the new addition to Aust Pretty Sunday who impressed in her second Australian run running a 1:57MR over the 1720m at her last start, and the fast beginner from the pole who loves the short trips Mister Gunsen at $29. Brent Lilleys mare galloped at the start putting her out of contention, Gunsen led as expected and Blitz faced the breeze and just got the judges nod by a HFHD over Gunsen in 1:58 flat. So good run for Blitz to death seat over short trip in good time, will now only get better of course as more race fitness improves. (would have been a nice first 4 if Gunsen had of held on, bugger!)
Next up was the Kahdon Trot for 4 and 5YO mares. Spidergirl too good, racing way better than last season, definitely taken a step up, will actually be very interesting to see of she can beat Blitz this year as previously he has never been challenged by her. But what she has been doing against Keystone Del recently has been super impressive, can't wait till they race. Maori Time impressed in this race and also has raised her bar in comparison to last season, she is a very big horse and i believe i have read Chris Lang saying of course she will improve as she matures, seems thats certainly happening right now, was steaming home after the winner had bolted.
Vic Oaks next up and another $40k into Claudys Princess' bank account, thats 13 starts and now about 140K, i reckon she's doin alright!!! Another one who has taken things to another level and is far above all other 3yo fillies in Australia. Shame Daenerys Targareyn galloped on home turn while following Claudys but still doubt she would have won, especially as Toohard pointed out the master G Lang Jnr saw the sprint lane calling as he was 4wide around last bend and a nice gap opening with a brass band and cheer squad and even Larry Emdur screaming "come on down Gav, heres the shortcut home". And yes also mentioned by Paul (toohard) the 3rd placegetter rattling home at $144 My Account great run after being held up a little. She has caught my eye a few times making up a lot of ground after making early errors and finishing midfield at some previous runs, certainly has a win or 3 up her sleeve very shortly if she behaves.
Tatlow 2yo finished off the night and our best 2yo trotter Eljaykay Phoenix was too good winning virtually untouched after death seating and won by 8m. However his stablemate was a great run from last, races still quite greenly and in another 6 months or so will not only catch but i think beat LJK. Hadrians Phoenix is quite a big horse, hangs in a lot and certainly didn't like the whip in the straight swishing his tail like crazy, I'm sure David Aiken had a tired right arm after that one handed drive! If ever this horse gets to lead and run, we will discover what he can do.

Richard prior
06-08-2014, 02:50 PM
Excellent Ash!!

Messenger
06-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Certainly was excellent - who needs to watch them when you can read such analysis (You might just make me a follower of the trotter Ash)

brent_L
06-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Expect a QDT of the 2 horse in race 4.

brent_L
06-20-2014, 10:55 PM
As a fellow 'odds on' punter I sure hope those that took the tomato sauce about OUR DREAMLOVER last week didn't tune into tonight's race.
That aside....great victory!

dmac43
06-20-2014, 11:09 PM
Would love to know how many m3's have won m1m2s in the last 2 months.

Messenger
06-21-2014, 03:10 AM
Expect a QDT of the 2 horse in race 4.

"Young Mr Langdon why did you move off the fence when you had the sit on the fav over a short trip with a sprint lane and relinquishing the posn gave the sit to the second favourite?"
We will have to wait for the Stewards Report.

Richard prior
06-21-2014, 11:19 AM
Horse appeared to be going a little rough Kev and behind the leader was definitley the place to be, Gav must have thought all of his Christmas' come at once when the young fella popped off the fence.

Big Mac
06-21-2014, 01:04 PM
61.5 first half in a FFA. Not much chance for anything else in the race. The race ended up being a 400m sprint.

Messenger
06-21-2014, 01:26 PM
62.5 I think Dean

Big Mac
06-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Sorry kev, my addition isn't up to scratch. I could have led them up on my pushbike

Richard prior
06-21-2014, 02:50 PM
G'day Dean, Not wrong mate, Pedestrian!!!

Big Mac
06-21-2014, 03:54 PM
Not hiding my admiration of Bitobliss, but the poor fella didn't have a chance.

Smoken
06-21-2014, 04:25 PM
That FFA was such a boring race to watch.. BOB first up was a fantastic run! I hope he has come back with the talent we all know he possesses.

Messenger
06-21-2014, 05:37 PM
BOB looked good and I reckon that was as much as they would want him to be doing first up

Toohard
06-21-2014, 06:05 PM
BOB looked good and I reckon that was as much as they would want him to be doing first up

He's run some time up the straight. Winner went 26.8 last 400 and he was 4 wide round bend and making ground on it.

Harveys trotter the run of the night.

Richard prior
06-22-2014, 12:14 PM
Low 26's Paul, BOB was finishing off rapidly and it's great to see him back. Scotty didn't knock him around either, Just reigned him up down the straight.

brent_L
06-28-2014, 05:38 PM
Great nights racing last night. IMO most semi final meetings of these type of rich series usually turn out to be a bit of a bore what with connections just trying to cement themselves into the final. Last night saw a bunch of really competitive 'racing' which resulted in some big guns missing out on the final as a result.
One horse that was driven, it seemed, to just qualify, ended up getting all the breaks and won quite impressively....Hectorjayjay. Looks a nice 'match-race' next week between himself and little Messini.
I had to check outside last night for flying pigs......Ginger Bliss $2- against Guaranteed $2.60. Before someone jumps in and says the winner had a lot of luck (and he did), I won't hear of it. Using a football term, Ginger Bliss couldn't lace up Guaranteed's boots and the mugs responsible for that market presenting itself should hang their heads!
With Guaranteed's sketchy gate at the start of his races I find it hard to see him beating Lenny next week. IMO his chances hinge on the fav drawing 8.
Lovelist.....disappointing!! Speaking thru my kick.....ouch!
Away from the 4yo race next week, I'm eagerly awaiting the 3yo filly draw. Berisari went enormous and Barinya won arrogantly. I'd imagine only a great barrier draw to M Priddy will see either of those two not winning.
Cheers

Toohard
06-28-2014, 06:41 PM
The 2yo races saw some big performances too. Niki No No in the 2yo fillies semi was enormous. 3 wide when going 44 sec lead time (about fastest of night) then sat in death and won. Virgil Hilts in the 2yo colts must have been giving the leaders 6 lengths or more at the 400m mark. And Diamond Castle was last heading into back straight last time in the other 2yo fillies semi.

And congratulations to Mrs Anderson (Bonnie) for getting 2 girls into the 2yo fillies final.

Wouldn't be taking too much notice of times last night. And wouldn't be writing Lovelist off. Outstanding filly that one. It was blowing a gale there. Luckily the gale was blowing directly at the back of the stand so wasn't to bad sitting in it watching them bowl around.

Should be some great racing next Saturday night.

Messenger
06-28-2014, 11:05 PM
Thanks for tuning me into those replays Paul - 3 BIG runs (well I only saw 2 as Mediatec cannot manage to put up the last lap of Diamond's race!)

Why do you think they queried the driving tactics on fav Licinia pushing onto lead? (in Niki No No's race)

cyclone george
06-29-2014, 01:49 AM
They queried the run because it's a sit sprinter and has been driven like that . When it led it was a 100 to 1 chance. Just wondered if they notified the stewards before hand about the chance of tactics.

dmac43
07-05-2014, 08:54 PM
Would love to know how many m3's have won m1m2s in the last 2 months.
Composed adds to the list tonight.

Messenger
07-05-2014, 11:26 PM
Anyone know why Mindarie was a late scratching?

jackthepunter
07-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Smoken up well and truly done. So sad to watch

Messenger
07-06-2014, 02:00 AM
Smoken up well and truly done. So sad to watch

Of course nowadays a horse's best racing days are over when they reach double figures and we would like to see him retired but I do not know that you can say he is entirely done.
If you say he is done in relation to his effort tonight against Keayang do you say that Guaranteed is done in comparison to Lenny

It may not be how I would do it but I do not think it so sad.

He is sitting 8th on Australia's money winners for this season (may be passed by Guaranteed after tonight) so it has not been an embarrassing season

Messenger
07-06-2014, 02:04 AM
Anyone know if Kerryn is ok. I know she bounced up very quickly but that can be purely survival instincts. All the best Kerryn

A somewhat cheeky question after my last post on SU but how many seasons/races can Lenny take like tonight's race. He got plenty thrown at him and he does not particularly like it in my eyes and he goes fairly roughly as well.

Messenger
07-06-2014, 02:29 AM
I know I appear to be having a one person conversation here (3 in a row on the Sam Anglesey show - showing my age there) but isn't David Aiken romping in the Melton premiership

Richard prior
07-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Big congrats to Bec Cartwright for her training performance with Pressplay last night and a terrific drive by the gifted Amanda Turnbull.

Smoken
07-06-2014, 12:34 PM
Trigger was not going to win last night, not from that extreme draw and after having a nearly 1 1/2 month break. He ran his usual brave race, & I am sure he will be fitter for that! What is sad to me is, finally his racing days will soon be over, but at the same time, feel so privileged to have seen him race. My favourite horse of all time :)
When will his farewell tour begin?

Novo
07-06-2014, 01:04 PM
My favourite horse of all time :)
When will his farewell tour begin?

I'd say it began last night.. and will only get better GO TRIGGER!

Richard prior
07-06-2014, 01:10 PM
I know I appear to be having a one person conversation here (3 in a row on the Sam Anglesey show - showing my age there) but isn't David Aiken romping in the Melton premiership
Doing a fantastic job with a real good team Kev and shares his drives around and will usually put himself on the inferior runner if he has multiple horses in a race, This tells you a lot about the man IMHO.

brent_L
07-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Seems a stand up guy from the few times I've seen him on tv, and pretty straight forward in his assessments of horses/races, no BS which is rife at the gallops. And boy can he improve them....Thanesan went 10 lengths better Friday than any previous Oz start......1st up!!

Maorisidol
07-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Seems a stand up guy from the few times I've seen him on tv, and pretty straight forward in his assessments of horses/races, no BS which is rife at the gallops. And boy can he improve them....Thanesan went 10 lengths better Friday than any previous Oz start......1st up!!
Thanesan was impressive, especially in comparison to previous Aus starts as you say Brent and he looked a serious looking animal in the flesh.
Aiken is dominating the trotting ranks at this point.

Mighty Atom
07-06-2014, 03:08 PM
I'd say it began last night.. and will only get better GO TRIGGER!

Hi Keith,
Sadly Trigger's farewell tour is not going to get better. Even allowing for a first up run he finished 10.5 metres behind the winner in a race where they Rated 1:53:9 on a good track. The old Trigger could have sat on the outside and done that time on his ear. He has been a great champion but age catches up with all of us both animal and human.

Smoken
07-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Age sure does catch up to everyone and everything.. What do you guys think of BOB run? Will he reach the heights he once did? I remember that when he was 4yrs old, he was so strong and racing style so very different. What happens for horses to change so drastically? Villagem is another one along with Franco Jamar etc etc..

Mighty Atom
07-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Great race the VicBred 4 year old Entires and Geldings race? - good race but not great. Great run by Guaranteed and if we bring the ifs and buts into the equation then I would say that if both Lennytheshark and Guaranteed drew the back line then the latter wins no problems.

Richard prior
07-06-2014, 03:28 PM
Hi Rod, Yes even switch the draws and it could have been a different result, Not a lot between these 2 very good horses. Congrats to Martin and Kevin on Lenny's win.

Mighty Atom
07-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Age sure does catch up to everyone and everything.. What do you guys think of BOB run? Will he reach the heights he once did? I remember that when he was 4yrs old, he was so strong and racing style so very different. What happens for horses to change so drastically? Villagem is another one along with Franco Jamar etc etc..

Great run by Bitobliss and he can continue on with the form, but I've no doubt we have never seen the best of this horse more than likely due to injuries sustained throughout racing career. Hope he can pick up a some more big races because he deserves them.

Richard prior
07-06-2014, 03:40 PM
Totally agree Rod and if he's in the big races, He will always be a chance with his big finish.

Smoken
07-06-2014, 03:45 PM
I hope he does, I have fond memories of him in the Kimore Cup 2011. Tough win that day on that sunny Sunday. Lenny is a maniac with serious speed, & Gauranteed is very strong! Those 2 and others will be having many battles in the years to come.
Diamond Castle seems like a very good up n coming horse. Would have been great to have Sushi Sushi with us and seeing him contest these big races :(

p plater
07-06-2014, 05:47 PM
Hi Keith,
Sadly Trigger's farewell tour is not going to get better. Even allowing for a first up run he finished 10.5 metres behind the winner in a race where they Rated 1:53:9 on a good track. The old Trigger could have sat on the outside and done that time on his ear. He has been a great champion but age catches up with all of us both animal and human.

To be fair Rod, if Lance didn't think time had caught up with Smoken Up, there would not be a farewell tour, even on last nights run there can be no doubt Trigger still wants to be there but the young legs aren't, the same trademark courage to tough it out was again on full display.

Toohard
07-06-2014, 06:44 PM

Injury mainly. Sickness too. Have a look at a horses legs compared to yours. They got 4 of course but they carrying 500+kg. Theres websites showing bone structure etc of horses leg joints. Compare them to yours. Doesn't take a lot to go wrong to stop a horse. Or slow it down even. Theres not a huge difference time wise between the good ones and the not so good ones. Good one gets an injury they back in the field pretty quick smart. All those you mentioned had problems.

Smoken
07-06-2014, 07:00 PM
I guess you make very valid points Paul. If a horse has races like Trigger the majority of his/her career, could that just make them not want to race anymore? I'm shocked how Trigger is still racing now, with his legendary brutal style of racing that we know the Champ for & love him for over the years. I guess some kind of mental strength has to play a part and obviously to be looked after by there trainers etc.

Richard prior
07-06-2014, 07:03 PM
G'Day PH, Have you just thawed out after the races last night ??? lol. Quinny's had his share of leg problems as well and it's not an uncommon thing with good horses. Now I'm not going to compare my legs with any horses because mine are shocking and I'm only carrying around 120kgs.

Toohard
07-06-2014, 07:14 PM
ITMQ had more than leg problems. I reckon good ones get more injuries because they push so hard. They want to do it and push that bit extra. Too brave!!

Nothing better than watching brave horse run.

Yes freezing cold there last night but bigger than normal crowd and great night.

Didn't feel cold race 1 though!!:cool:

Richard prior
07-06-2014, 07:16 PM
I watched one of Tappy's interviews a couple of years ago and Lombo La Fe Fe was in the background and at first glance, You would say she was in a bit of pain the way she was moving. Now she was one of the best fillies there has ever been and only had 44 starts but you could really tell that the hard racing had taken it's toll, Especially on her legs.

Richard prior
07-06-2014, 07:18 PM
ITMQ had more than leg problems. I reckon good ones get more injuries because they push so hard. They want to do it and push that bit extra. Too brave!!

Nothing better than watching brave horse run.

Yes freezing cold there last night but bigger than normal crowd and great night.

Didn't feel cold race 1 though!!:cool:

Good on ya mate, Good result!!

Mighty Atom
07-06-2014, 11:25 PM
I'm in awe of horses like Quinny, Trigger , Bitobliss and others that can come back from potentially career ending injuries and continue at the very top level of competition, but it is what ITMQ and SU have been able to achieve after serious injuries that stands them above the others as great champions.

Toohard
07-07-2014, 10:37 PM
I'm in awe of horses like Quinny, Trigger , Bitobliss and others that can come back from potentially career ending injuries and continue at the very top level of competition, but it is what ITMQ and SU have been able to achieve after serious injuries that stands them above the others as great champions.

Well said Rod. Having bred one not up to the standards of the ones you mentioned and seen it hurt and get back to races, mostly because he wanted to, they stand above all. Too brave!

Richard prior
07-07-2014, 11:13 PM
Well said Rod, Guts, Mental toughness and just wanting to get out there and compete is something that is really overlooked these days when we are all looking for speed.

Messenger
07-12-2014, 03:46 AM
I've got room for the Race 2 Quinella horses, Bettor Rock On and Tandias Bromac, in my barn (I will build one for them). Both only 4yo and TB a mare, it was an excellent first heat of the M0 Winter Championship with a slick MR of 1.54.9 over the 1720

In the M2-4 I think the inexperience of Josh Aiken probably cost Composed but Nathan Jack could not get Teo Enteo over the top of Magical Telf anyway

After that the 5 odds on Favs all lead and won to finish off the program - more on them later

Messenger
07-12-2014, 04:13 PM
The result of the second heat of the Winter Champ has Dodge The Bullet 6th (on the fence) and 1.6m behind 3rd Lights and Music, who is right next to him. I can't see much more than a metre between them and am very surprised that Arr En Special widest on the track has finished 5th and beaten him (into the final) by 20cm

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX110714&ms=vic#MXM11071403

edit The angle is bloody hard to read however for in Frith's race The Good Times on the fence had no doubt got 2nd before Broadways Best out wide but with the previous race above in my mind, I thought it was a lot closer than 1.2m between 2nd and 3rd

Messenger
07-26-2014, 01:42 AM
Tassie raider Remember Joe took over 4 secs off his best time winning the Race 6 M0 in 1.54.9
He was the 2nd winner of the night for sire It Is I, after the mare Here And Now won the Race 3 4yo in good time too (1.55.3)

Maximan's was a tough effort to win the first heat of the Melton Cup, he settled in the death and was briefly in the 1x1 before Kate Gath took him to the death again. Beauty Secret finishing fast up the inside just missed by a nose and Ginger Bliss was only half a neck away after finding it hard to make up ground out wide when they came home in 27.8 and 28.1

The other heat saw Exciteusinthecity lead all the way in 1.56.2 (one second faster than the first heat) and the final should be a top contest

If Ash resurfaces, I am sure he will tell you how Blitzthemcalder did just that

ps Form Guide lists Remember Joe as coming from Magrs - there is no such place, can anybody confirm this should read Magra

Messenger
08-09-2014, 02:40 AM
A super second by Pas Mate Nathan - if Eyes On The Sky had been able to carry you a little further who knows how close he may have got to Upanatom.

For Keayang Steamer to start $1.50 there must have been plenty of punters who thought he was going to get off the fence but Gumdrops-Rodney Petroff was having none of that.

Njcstables
08-09-2014, 11:09 AM
A super second by Pas Mate Nathan - if Eyes On The Sky had been able to carry you a little further who knows how close he may have got to Upanatom.

For Keayang Steamer to start $1.50 there must have been plenty of punters who thought he was going to get off the fence but Gumdrops-Rodney Petroff was having none of that.

Thanks Kev. Yes it was probably one of his best runs actually. He does a great job for a horse his size.

Richard prior
08-09-2014, 11:23 AM
Yes only a little fella Nathan but try's hard, I hope the connections had a bit each way.

Toohard
08-09-2014, 11:37 AM
Went great Nathan. Nice work.

Messenger
08-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Review continued

Big Lucy is clearly going to be a VERY good mare - in only her 4th start she sits in the death going 28.2 first and last Q's

Brother Barry's Sky Major showed again that he is a topliner coming home in 55.4 3W - he would have broken 55

Top runs by Metro Mike and Tandias Bromac behind Asoka. Metro did it tough and Tandias probably never had the draw to get closer

Metropolitan was really showcased last night with this top 2nd and 2 winners

Smoken
08-09-2014, 03:46 PM
Why was Keeyang Steamer $1.50? Firstly he was dealing with some very good horses, & secondly his draw was crap, his fitness advantage wasn't there. He ran on very average once in the straight anyway. I personally think Keeyang Cullen has the edge over Steamer! Big Lucy tough win, Sky Major brilliant, Asoka well deserved strong win, blitzthemcalder tough win. Good night if racing over all :)

Messenger
09-16-2014, 11:23 PM
Kira Jo showed how to bring up your first win in style at her 9th start, winning the VICBRED PLATINUM HOME GROWN CLASSIC (3YO FILLIES) FINAL (GROUP 2) last Friday for a nice little collect of $25k

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX120914&ms=vic#MXM12091408

Paying $30 the Moody's, Tomren Wootton's, and Tomren's may have collected even more?

Kira Jo comes from a long line of winning dams and her family U301 contains some recent top ANZ juveniles including Son of Otara from Kira's branch
The great names from the past will have enthusiasts drooling esp NZers

http://classicfamilies.net/cf/FamilyWinners.aspx?FamilyNumber=u301&SE=qTimeGroup&AD=ASC

Messenger
09-28-2014, 11:17 PM
http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=ML270914&ms=vic

Leigh's horse Savesometimetodream copped a QDT . I notice there was also a COT - what were the stewards expecting from Jodi after starting from Sr2 ?

It was a big run Leigh - being forced to sit 3w for the 56 last half and only the horses on the pegs beat him

HaroldParker
09-29-2014, 01:41 AM
COT to be more aggressive. Lance threw the anchor out but she was none the wiser. Horses just aren't traveling for her like they once did.

Messenger
09-29-2014, 01:53 AM
Wasn't who was in the Death a problem Bob?

HaroldParker
09-29-2014, 02:08 AM
I agree but they announced the COT and she should of been on her bike much sooner. Lance was holding the front and she's taken 1 x 1 cover on Asoka recently up in class.

Not a lot happening tactics wise down there. Nothing moves until they're in for the bell and that was exactly the case here.

Messenger
09-29-2014, 02:18 AM
I really think she wanted to but with Asoka staying wide until he found the death and unlikely to hand up - what was she to do from Sr2 settling in the 10 spot. I guess you mean they should have taken off and seen if Asoka might get the lead and them the death?

HaroldParker
09-29-2014, 03:01 AM
I really think she wanted to but with Asoka staying wide until he found the death and unlikely to hand up - what was she to do from Sr2 settling in the 10 spot. I guess you mean they should have taken off and seen if Asoka might get the lead and them the death?

Perhaps easing 3W at the bell was their COT ? Which was being more aggressive than the two previous runs.

It was a good run at a silly price.

Messenger
09-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Perhaps easing 3W at the bell was their COT ? Which was being more aggressive than the two previous runs.

It was a good run at a silly price.
From the stewards report

Trainer Paul Rowse advised Stewards in the days prior to the meeting that Savesometimetodream would be driven more aggressively in this race if circumstances permitted. A public announcement was made at the beginning of the race meeting. Driver Jodi Quinlan stated that she hadn’t shifted three-wide earlier than the 1200m as she was confident that with Im Barney Rubble NZ (Lance Justice) leading and Asoka NZ (Alison Chisholm) outside the leader she would not be able to gain a forward position close to the marker pegs.

Messenger
09-30-2014, 06:08 PM
Was the going better on the pegs last Friday?
19 of the 24 placings came from the 1,3 or 5 posn
This is a bit over the average but it could be a natural variance

HaroldParker
10-04-2014, 06:54 PM
She went 3 pegs last night when the 1x1 presented itself early on. 1x2 following KC and Punt. The way the race panned out, if driven positively he finishes ITM and gives that winner a fright IMO.

Paul Rowse needs to get the hook out and find himself a driver. That horse is flying but she's not up to the task.

Messenger
10-05-2014, 01:18 AM
Guaranteed driven and winning like a horse a class above them but how was the run from The Majority - Brian Gath could not hold him.
This half bro of Falcons Blue Jean could prove a handful for the opposition this season

HaroldParker
10-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Guaranteed driven and winning like a horse a class above them but how was the run from The Majority - Brian Gath could not hold him.
This half bro of Falcons Blue Jean could prove a handful for the opposition this season

The drive by Sugars on Bettor Rock On, one of the worst drives I've seen in a feature race for a very long time. He caught a break at the start when Guaranteed cleaned up Flaming Flutter and he had to bully his way to the front when Guaranteed (first up) came calling ... it went pear shaped soon afterwards and deservedly so. I was on the winner, no complaints there. Sugars drove that horse like he had no plan.

Is it the influence of the sprint lane ?

The majority of this current crop of "elite" young drivers lack aggression and are afraid of contact. They wouldn't last a few weeks in WA : )

Messenger
10-05-2014, 07:43 PM
The drive by Sugars on Bettor Rock On, one of the worst drives I've seen in a feature race for a very long time. He caught a break at the start when Guaranteed cleaned up Flaming Flutter and he had to bully his way to the front when Guaranteed (first up) came calling ... it went pear shaped soon afterwards and deservedly so. I was on the winner, no complaints there. Sugars drove that horse like he had no plan.

Is it the influence of the sprint lane ?

The majority of this current crop of "elite" young drivers lack aggression and are afraid of contact. They wouldn't last a few weeks in WA : )
Lucky for Greg you were not on the Victorian selection panel for the inaugural Australian Driving Championships, Bob
If it was one of the worst drives you have ever seen it would have to be tied with hundreds of others as going to the Death before the favourite comes around is a pretty well worn path

Messenger
10-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Some excellent wins by the mares last night:
On Ice, the champ Tandias Bromac and the toughest win of them all was Cool Machrista running good time in just a C1

Messenger
10-18-2014, 01:00 AM
Philadelphia Man = WOW
No wonder owner entertaining the MM in interview beforehand (and before his horse has even won an M0)

Great drive by Glen Craven to have a shot at beating PM - try to run him/them off their legs, knowing it is his first start for 2yrs

If you have not watched it - you should

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX171014&ms=vic#MXM17101404

Maorisidol
10-18-2014, 01:34 AM
Philadelphia Man = WOW
No wonder owner entertaining the MM in interview beforehand (and before his horse has even won an M0)

Great drive by Glen Craven to have a shot at beating PM - try to run him/them off their legs, knowing it is his first start for 2yrs

Was on track to see Philadelphia Man, what a specimen!
and whats with him blowing out to $2!!! i took $1.40 Fixed thought that was good!! Dan Mielecki was more stunned by the $2 than he was with the horses run...funny, but true!

Zanzi_Bromac
10-18-2014, 01:40 AM
Philadelphia Man = WOW

Great win first up after 2 years out of the game!

Impressive trial on 11/10/14 (1:56 mile rate, 55 last half). The $2 on the tote was generous...

Messenger
10-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Was on track to see Philadelphia Man, what a specimen!
and whats with him blowing out to $2!!! i took $1.40 Fixed thought that was good!! Dan Mielecki was more stunned by the $2 than he was with the horses run...funny, but true!
Had to be the Jilliby Master confidence/money

Messenger
10-31-2014, 11:16 PM
Melton Race 7 tonight - check out the replay. This is what Harness racing can be. Love it

Edit: I had missed Race 6 - great stuff too (sorry Steve), another must watch

The Form Student
11-01-2014, 12:29 AM
No probs with Scruffy, he came outside the leader to win!

Toohard
11-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Some other highlights last night. Bellas Delight. 3rd start back from what looked like career ending injury. Round to the death off very fast lead time and wins in 1.56. Ultimate racehorse. Puts in every start. All courage. Many congratulations to all connected. They've had all the highs and lows with her and great to see her back.

Nathan Jack. 4 wins. Drive on Jadahson a pearler!

Smoken
11-08-2014, 12:45 AM
Great to see BOB win again! Hope he gets a right run in his up & coming races @ Menangle! Potential blow out horse with his sprint!

Messenger
11-14-2014, 10:42 PM
How detrimental to the industry are races not running on time!
Race 5 tonight so late that they say switch to Sky 2
I have not got Sky 2 with Foxtel yet so I get on the computer for Sky 2
On the net nothing on Sky at all - some glitch?
Not happy

Messenger
11-15-2014, 05:27 PM
Jilliby Master got his overdue M0 and Must Be Nice should not have to wait long to get his

A small field in the 3yo but you would be happy to have any of the first 5 in your barn

Cut For An Ace was a fantastic run in Race 7 after being pressured all race by Brian Gath on Brookfield Ruler which then finished 44m behind him!
Pretty handy for the favourite to have this happen to the 2nd fav. That is what it looks like to punters. Forget the LCRT stuff - err on the side of tough and give BR 2 trials to show manners and thoroughly investigate any possible collusion. If Brian Gath hasn't got the strength to restrain them anymore then he needs to pick his drives more carefully. (No I did not bet on the race - just sick of the perception that we are the Red Hots and races like this and the previous are terrible PR)

We had more or less the same scenario in the race before where Steel the Light seemed intent on putting pay to the Fav's chances where this time it was Rodney Petroff who only got a QDT and LCRT. We will have to await the Stewards Report to hear his explanation

Yankee Rockstar is being patiently taken along to what will be a big Metro career

In what appeared a fairly even M2-4 the money was right and Uncle Wingnut (gotta love that name Rich) appreciated the drop in class

I will leave the 3 trots races to Ash

The Form Student
11-15-2014, 06:21 PM
I "love" B Gath, but that drive was not good, I thought my bait to go fishing today, had already thawed out!

Bonnie
11-15-2014, 10:19 PM
How detrimental to the industry are races not running on time!
Race 5 tonight so late that they say switch to Sky 2
I have not got Sky 2 with Foxtel yet so I get on the computer for Sky 2
On the net nothing on Sky at all - some glitch?
Not happy

Race 5 was not shown live on course at Melton last night either. Patrons in the dining rooms and in the horse stalls could not view the race on the TV monitors. Obviously HRV have not paid their SKY 2 subscription!

Messenger
11-16-2014, 01:09 AM
The question is - Will HRV just meekly accept 2nd class treatment (Sky 2)
It would be great if someone from HRV let us know but it is beneath them to communicate with enthusiasts on this board
I fear they have also had a word to NSW as we never hear from Adam anymore

The Form Student
11-16-2014, 01:29 AM
Harness racing is just a lower option.....just look at the treatment of CCA Sprint tonight....straight to an ad break!
Maybe we need to look at another option for telecasts!

Messenger
11-16-2014, 01:45 AM
You're not wrong Steve but of course it has to give us a crack at capturing the general public. I do not know whether having all trots on Sky 2 (provide Sky 2 became part of Foxtel's basic package) would work for we may fall further behind the gallops (on Sky 1 of course). I still think they should be busting their arses to get a timeslot at least one evening a week on one of the free to air 2nd string channels like 7Two. A night the station do see as popular but let's face it - any could suit us. The trouble is, it would have to be a non Gallops racing night (to give us a chance) and I don't know whether any of those will exist pretty soon.

The Escape Club
11-21-2014, 11:57 PM
Just looking at the results for the Markovina FFA (race 7) tonight on harness.org.au must've been some decent divvies.

Showing the winner's starting odds, Maximan being $119.90 and 3rd place Tandias Bromac's starting odds of $69.90

Messenger
11-22-2014, 01:24 AM
Certainly some gremlins got in the system there Rob

Messenger
11-22-2014, 07:29 PM
The 1x2 posn at the bell had not had a winner for the season at a Melton Metro meeting but got up twice last night
Arber and Yeah Right

Messenger
11-22-2014, 08:14 PM
http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX211114&ms=vic#MXM21111410

What is everybody's opinion of the drive on Smo in the 1st race M0?

Went looking for death at bell over short trip and when told NO basically gave up on the race - snagged back to last (at the bell mind you) and said we will wait for another day.
Is this good enough?
Are people who backed it EW, Place, Exotics entitled to expect Laura Crossland to drive it to obtain the best possible finish?

Messenger
11-30-2014, 01:42 AM
They were running good times at Melton tonight

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX291114&ms=vic

The FFA suffered because of Menangle and was just about the slowest pacing race of the night

Messenger
12-21-2014, 11:23 AM
Must Be Nice's win in the M0 was Susan Hunter's first win for the season
Last season she won 26 from 159 starts
We are only 4mths into the season
Maybe she is more of a pointy end of the season trainer

Adaptor
12-21-2014, 09:29 PM
Impressive run from Bad Boy Leroy to sit in the death and nearly get there in the 3yo trot final.
His sire Bad Boy Truscott had a chequered career after winning the Redwood.Ended up in the US, now at stud here for $800 fee. Son of Sundon!

Messenger
01-04-2015, 02:07 PM
It was nice to see some improvement from Villagem except for the bloke who is training/driving it. The distance Franco Ledger travelled around the bend made him the much more deserving winner

Amlin
01-09-2015, 11:33 PM
Hope you got onto Hi Tech Fury tonight Kev!

Messenger
01-10-2015, 01:56 AM
OMG I did not discount him but I did not even watch them tonight - in poker terms I think I am a 'cooler' - they lose if I am on them
The stable obviously do not bet except for maybe the first win when he broke the Stawell Tk Record - they could have tens of thousands otherwise :(

and Villagem won too

Running double paid $1970

Seriously I know I used up all my luck on Black Saturday

Messenger
01-10-2015, 02:13 AM
Villagem must have been one trainer away from retirement but somehow Asbestos Douglas has improved him out of sight

aussiebreno
01-10-2015, 03:03 AM
Villagem must have been one trainer away from retirement but somehow Asbestos Douglas has improved him out of sight
How many Miracle Mile runners have been referred to as improving out of sight when winning and m2-m3. Weird career.

brent_L
01-10-2015, 05:01 AM
I enjoyed the racing at MELTON tonight. No real superstars on show, but there was a fair bit of depth,class wise to the program. Realmein was arrogant in victory but my run of the night would have to go to Metro Mike. 3 wide early to the chair in 28.6 followed by 28.9, 28.2 & 28.3 to run away and score pretty easily. He's been a bit of an underachiever in my book the past few years but here's hoping he takes this sort of form all the way to open class.

Toohard
01-10-2015, 09:09 AM
Hope you got onto Hi Tech Fury tonight Kev!

Pouring rain during that race. Only one person not under cover during the final stages. Ken Brown did the last 30m in the rain on the wet grass as fast as his horse did! Great to see!! And stood in the rain for an interview after.

Believe 4 from 8 since he took over training.

Amlin
01-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Mick Hughes had the horse for some time but Ken has always been actively involved in the training and they put the horse back in his name recently.

brent_L
01-17-2015, 05:49 AM
Punters were on the ball at Melton tonight with only one upset on the 10 race card.....it was a biggie though with Unico Pegasus returning $68 in the trot. 4/1 was the next highest winning divi.
The Puppet took out the driving honours landing 3 golds from only 4 attempts. We are blessed to see a lot of fantastic horse people in the gig these days but gee I reckon this bloke is, if not top of the tree, mighty close. imo Chris won drive of the night also, steering Mister Livan to victory in the 6th.
Two cracking performances caught my eye.....Charlie Macsheen sitting parked which is not typically his go, and effortlessly winning in 1:55 plus National Service launching late from a forlorn position to run into 2nd beaten a neck. Special mention to forum fav PDLouvre who went real nice claiming 3rd at big odds.....hope u had a little e/w Paul/Luke.....congrats.
Cheers

arlington
01-17-2015, 09:33 AM
C Alford, got to love his winning spirit, drives them all out like it's an I D Final. Chris has jumped on Chilli tonight??

Toohard
01-17-2015, 11:25 AM
Punters were on the ball at Melton tonight with only one upset on the 10 race card.....it was a biggie though with Unico Pegasus returning $68 in the trot. 4/1 was the next highest winning divi.
The Puppet took out the driving honours landing 3 golds from only 4 attempts. We are blessed to see a lot of fantastic horse people in the gig these days but gee I reckon this bloke is, if not top of the tree, mighty close. imo Chris won drive of the night also, steering Mister Livan to victory in the 6th.
Two cracking performances caught my eye.....Charlie Macsheen sitting parked which is not typically his go, and effortlessly winning in 1:55 plus National Service launching late from a forlorn position to run into 2nd beaten a neck. Special mention to forum fav PDLouvre who went real nice claiming 3rd at big odds.....hope u had a little e/w Paul/Luke.....congrats.
Cheers

Thanks Brent! The old boy go super. Cheeers

Messenger
01-17-2015, 01:33 PM
Not that he was going to get up but I wondered why Gavin on Dazzling Arden went for the tight gap outside the leader instead of using the sprint lane - I know that horses sometimes have a preference to go around but that did not seem to be the case here

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=JS160115&ms=vic#JSC16011502

Messenger
02-02-2015, 11:23 PM
Huge leader domination at Melton on Saturday night, the leader won 7 and was placed in the other 3

aussiebreno
02-03-2015, 10:28 AM
No final quarter in over 28 (apart from trotters).

Smoken
02-03-2015, 03:55 PM
Some fantastic clashes coming up this Sat, for the Pacers and trotters. Hope little Messini wins!

Messenger
02-07-2015, 08:26 PM
What a way to kick off the night
Christian Sloy going places FAST

Now a 5yo
As a 2 & 3yo he mixed it with the best but only won 1 out of 21 (a $3k Restricted) but look at him now

Mum - Miss Hazel was a star
but the line started by 3rd dam Cosmophylla looks pretty bloody good

Messenger
02-07-2015, 09:45 PM
Looking at that 4yo race run in 1.52.4
we have plenty of great racing to look forward to, possibly for years to come

I am not just talking about the winner but on the winner, we might have our own RNR Hanover x Artsplace champ from the golden cross

Messenger
02-07-2015, 11:22 PM
Any of our sandgropers take any of the 50's for Majorly Foxy Styx?
I suppose most are going to be put off by the stablemate being far more favoured and having the more favourable draw compared to Foxy

apexguy
02-07-2015, 11:50 PM
The drive on the stablemate wasn't the best either Kev

Messenger
02-08-2015, 12:14 AM
I'm off to the big party down the road at Great Western ;)

Smoken
02-08-2015, 01:20 AM
What a very strange night tonight @ Melton... Seems as the big guns in the Hunter Cup are all very tired horses... Adore Me blew her chances at the start. Villagem won like a hot favourite in the free for all.. Only 4 favourites saluted out of 10 races..
If anyone backed MFS & AR, they would be partying until tomorrow morning, possibly even Monday morning:)

Messenger
02-08-2015, 01:53 AM
Super times by the pacers in every race tonight
A Tk Rec in the big one
and I would not be surprised if Christmas Jolt's time was one of the fastest by a 2yo at Melton but I cannot seem to find that info - if that is not my fault then it should be easier

Messenger
02-08-2015, 02:24 AM
Huge leader domination at Melton on Saturday night, the leader won 7 and was placed in the other 3

Massive up front domination again tonight
I think the answer might be to bring over some WA drivers ;)

Richard prior
02-08-2015, 02:39 AM
I'm off to the big party down the road at Great Western ;)
The Butterworth's would be over the moon with Arden Rooney's unexpected win tonight and good on them, They put a lot of money into the industry and its great to see them get something back.

Richard prior
02-08-2015, 08:46 AM
Super times by the pacers in every race tonight
A Tk Rec in the big one
and I would not be surprised if Christmas Jolt's time was one of the fastest by a 2yo at Melton but I cannot seem to find that info - if that is not my fault then it should be easier
Might not be the Track Record for 2yr olds Kev but Follow The Stars went 1.54.1 in last years Breeders Crown.

Toohard
02-08-2015, 09:07 AM
Might not be the Track Record for 2yr olds Kev but Follow The Stars went 1.54.1 in last years Breeders Crown.

Yep thats it Richard. Says 2nd May 14 in book but.

Richard prior
02-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Yep thats it Richard. Says 2nd May 14 in book but.
Thanks Paul, Big run by Christmas Jolt last night and I think that he could even go a touch quicker.

Toohard
02-08-2015, 09:39 AM
They don't break 7 secs lead time over the short at Melton very oftern. 3 times last night. Leader wins rarely when that happens. Yankee Rockstar broke 7 last night and then had to run 27 first quarter to hold front.

Very nice horse. Got the looks and the speed and plenty of ticker too.

Full brother just beaten in first start at Menangle last night too.

Congrats Bonnie!!

Bonnie
02-08-2015, 11:19 AM
Thanks Paul. The Rockstar has an automatic invite to the Chariots ; exciting stuff. He was an exciting juvenile but missed all the 2 year old and then all his 3 year old feature races. Hope it's now his time to shine. It was good to see him use his gate speed last night , it will give him confidence. Very happy with Born To RockandRoll too. He has only been with Team McCarthy for three and a half weeks and to have his first start in a $40,000 race and perform as well as he did was a feather in his cap. 1.53.6 for a two year old race !

Amlin
02-08-2015, 04:10 PM
Dan commented early in the Trotters Final that Sheemon began particularly well and made up good ground early or words to that effect.

Any wonder - it was handicapped off 10 metres but lines up inside the second row of front line horses!

Messenger
02-08-2015, 05:19 PM
Dan commented early in the Trotters Final that Sheemon began particularly well and made up good ground early or words to that effect.

Any wonder - it was handicapped off 10 metres but lines up inside the second row of front line horses!

UNBELIEVABLE

I could not even see (on the crappy replays) if they had a 10m strand

Messenger
02-08-2015, 05:28 PM
On one hand it is good to see Villagem back but on the other hand I do not want to see the trainer win anything. Fact is that anything he improves will have an air of suspicion around it.
He seemed to win so easily last night after deathing
One thing for certain is that the horse must be kept to the shorter distances to show his best

Messenger
02-11-2015, 12:54 AM

I cannot believe there is no mention of it in the Stewards Report

Messenger
02-28-2015, 01:42 AM
I hope somebody made money out of Rusty's Reject. Have had him in my black book for years but too busy today to study form - all I had to do is notice the change of stable to realize how good those odds were :(

The last three races had 16 runners in TOTAL :eek:
Auckland had 16 in a race!

Messenger
03-14-2015, 11:40 PM
The well bred 3yo The Culture continued on his winning way in the first in good time and by a good margin. Mum is a half sis to Stunnin Cullen and her mum was a half sis to Il Vicolo.

Harnesslink has put the acid on Rock N Roll Heaven
http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/Rock-N-Roll-Heaven-makes-slow-start-down-under
and first starter Rocknroll Magic may have relieved a little of the pressure winning the 2yo

Messenger
03-21-2015, 01:20 AM
A 33m swing in the performances of The Culture and Burnaholeinmypocket this week from last week.
The 2nd line draw could not have gone better for TC but undoubtedly the big diff was the fr lead for the Burner who looked liked the champion this week

Tonights final was Metro stakes

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX200315&ms=vic#MXM20031507

Last weeks was only Career class

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX140315&ms=vic&fromstate=vic#MXM14031506

ps Beauty Secret may have needed another freshen up after chasing Adore Me in that time at the start of the month

Richard prior
03-22-2015, 10:51 AM
A 33m swing in the performances of The Culture and Burnaholeinmypocket this week from last week.
The 2nd line draw could not have gone better for TC but undoubtedly the big diff was the fr lead for the Burner who looked liked the champion this week

Tonights final was Metro stakes

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX200315&ms=vic#MXM20031507

Last weeks was only Career class

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX140315&ms=vic&fromstate=vic#MXM14031506

ps Beauty Secret may have needed another freshen up after chasing Adore Me in that time at the start of the month

Bettor Downunder mighty impressive again Kev, Pretty sure that she will make the jump to the next level with very little problems.

Messenger
09-19-2015, 02:07 AM
Obviously nobody has felt like reviewing Melton for 6mths but there are a couple of races from tonight that I would like to bring up

Tact Tate rating 1.54 in Race 4's C1 final was VERY impressive. His last 4 runs in NZ resulted in 2 wins and 2 seconds and he is from a $130k winning mare - anybody know what they might have paid for him?

In the 5th Whereibylong stormed home for an impressive second but as predicted by Blake Redden in his form analysis, she was always in danger of being stuck 3 poles so what has got me beat is how she ended up $1.80?!

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX180915&ms=vic

Messenger
09-26-2015, 06:58 PM
Not only were there 2 deadheats, the first in R.1 was dam near a triple deadheat - have a look

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX250915&ms=vic#MXM25091503

I cannot say I am happy if the stewards have just accepted the driving tactics of Duggan on Composed in the Claimers Masters R3 but I am pretty sure they have. Would he have handed up the death that he had just found at the 800m to any other runner than his stablemate/fav? We cannot permit anything that looks like team-driving - I await the Stewards Report

If you missed Ellas Puppeteer smashing the Charlton Tk Rec last start have a look at him go slightly slower rating 1.53.7 in the last. Same quinella with Iceobar getting closer last night

I am not doing the trots races for Ash who has gone AWOL:rolleyes:

The Escape Club
09-27-2015, 03:19 AM
Not only were there 2 deadheats, the first in R.1 was dam near a triple deadheat - have a look

I cannot say I am happy if the stewards have just accepted the driving tactics of Duggan on Composed in the Claimers Masters R3 but I am pretty sure they have. Would he have handed up the death that he had just found at the 800m to any other runner than his stablemate/fav? We cannot permit anything that looks like team-driving - I await the Stewards Report

If you missed Ellas Puppeteer smashing the Charlton Tk Rec last start have a look at him go slightly slower rating 1.53.7 in the last. Same quinella with Iceobar getting closer last night

Rapt with my horses 3rd in the claiming masters, really like'd the drive and the run.

Back to Vic, 4 starts for 3 3rds and a 4th. Paying for his oats, yet again.

Messenger
09-27-2015, 12:01 PM
He stuck on really well Robert. The name Ballochbuie - was it somebody's favourite part of the world?

The Escape Club
09-27-2015, 03:20 PM
He stuck on really well Robert. The name Ballochbuie - was it somebody's favourite part of the world?

Don't know Kev, we bought him from NZ with the name. Poor old Fred used to have a bit of trouble pronouncing it early days when we sent him to NSW.

Hermione
09-27-2015, 05:35 PM
Could have been named after a rather beautiful sailing vessel, just saying! :) :)

teecee
09-27-2015, 07:51 PM
a member of one of NZ's most prolific families. A quick perusal of the extended family shows numerous names of a similar 'theme".

Messenger
09-28-2015, 01:45 AM
Thanks Tony, it is the UK place not the ship Jan - like so many in the family

Messenger
09-29-2015, 05:49 PM

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=MX250915&fromstate=vic

Josh Duggan, driver of Composed, was questioned regarding his decision to surrender the position outside of the leader to stablemate Smudge Bromac NZ at approximately the 800m. Mr Duggan advised he was mindful of the use he had already made of Composed when improving three wide from the 1700m and being without cover from the 1300m until ultimately obtaining the position outside the leader approaching the 1000m and being required at times to drive with vigour to gain the desired position. Mr Duggan further explained that he felt it would be detrimental to the chances of Composed to then make further use of the gelding to resist the challenge of Smudge Bromac NZ when that runner improved to his outside passing the 900m. Mr Duggan finally added he was further mindful that Composed was first up since 24 July 2015. Upon consideration of the matter Stewards were satisfied that the decision by Mr Duggan to allow Smudge Bromac NZ to improve ahead of Composed at such a late stage, in these particular circumstances, was not unreasonable given the use made of Composed up until that point and Composed being first up for 2 months. Stewards further mindful of the relatively fast sectional times recorded whilst Composed was improving three wide during the early and middle stages.

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=MX250915&fromstate=vic

Meh

Messenger
10-03-2015, 01:39 AM
Just when you could be excused for thinking Gumdrops was beginning to wane at 8yo she comes out and reminds us of how big a heart she has in that little frame. I am always worried when the driver produces the whip on her that he might knock her over. Does anyone know how many hands she is?
She is now only one placing away from $200k of winnings

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX021015&ms=vic#MXM02101505

Messenger
10-03-2015, 04:58 PM
Philadelphia Man was very impressive winning the way he did it and Exciteusinthecity and Arden Rooney would have pleased connections. 1.52.7 is a fast time for Melton

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX021015&ms=vic#MXM02101501

40% of the program was trots - cue trotting enthusiasts

The Escape Club
10-10-2015, 09:13 PM
Race 3 no. 7. Blacktie Lightning a C2 having it's fourth career start as a 5yr old.

Running all over the shop, in the death for most of the trip until it went to the front.

55 and change first half, home in 57 and change. Rated 1.53.2

Messenger
10-11-2015, 12:26 AM
Race 3 no. 7. Blacktie Lightning a C2 having it's fourth career start as a 5yr old.

Running all over the shop, in the death for most of the trip until it went to the front.

55 and change first half, home in 57 and change. Rated 1.53.2

That was outrageously good - it is a must watch people. Has he inherited Chandon's genes?

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX101015&ms=vic#MXM10101506

Richard prior
10-11-2015, 01:12 AM
And there's life in old Village Jasper Kev, He's done fairly good with Chandon mares and excellent with Classic Garry mares, He's certainly lit the wick, That was a terrific effort.

Messenger
10-17-2015, 11:12 AM
Only a couple of good watching races I'm afraid - too many processions as the leaders continue to dominate at Melton
Race 1 for Garibaldi's win and Betabcool's gutsy effort in Race 6 are the pick of the viewing races although it is worth checking out the Vince Vallelonga double for a good battle between stablemates in the 5th and for Major Crocker proving too strong for Lenny in the 7th. Major had the conditioning having raced most of the year and is better than a lot of them nominated for the Inter

With the 'How Do We Get More People To Breed Horses' thread in mind, 70% of the races won by NZ breds is not going to bolster demand for home grown

Smoken
11-20-2015, 11:17 PM
Lance drove a shocker on LuvinaChevy... If he keeps drivivng that horse like he did tonight, he won't come close to being a potential topliner as he reckons he will... Gave him absolutely no hope.. Should have taken him back from the very start. He will be completely gassed if he keeps having races like that! None of your horses are Trigger Lance & never will be. Drive them easier mate.

Smoken
11-21-2015, 12:10 AM
Some outsiders have won like they were odds on tonight.. Strange..

Messenger
11-21-2015, 01:30 PM
Certainly a big tough win from little Lots More Art at $36
Nico did it on the bit at $65 in the trot
Mister Sumna had a beautiful cart in but won like a fav not a $11 pop
Classy Western was a "big, big win" but he has always been classy and he only copped a QUER because he did it so well - only 5th start in with three 4ths is not exactly "how could he win" stuff so it is now obvious that $33 was overs

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX201115&ms=vic

Richard prior
11-21-2015, 02:27 PM
Lance drove a shocker on LuvinaChevy... If he keeps drivivng that horse like he did tonight, he won't come close to being a potential topliner as he reckons he will... Gave him absolutely no hope.. Should have taken him back from the very start. He will be completely gassed if he keeps having races like that! None of your horses are Trigger Lance & never will be. Drive them easier mate.
Totally agree with you Ev, Old Lance gets a bit of white line fever but his drive on Hu Hu R U later in the night was more to the way he should be driving his horses.

Smoken
11-21-2015, 08:56 PM
Right on Rich! I salute Lance on th drive on Hu Hu Ru. Nice filly!

Smoken
12-04-2015, 09:03 PM
Sorry Lance, but you need to train your horses to run straight! Several of his horses seem to be shifting there heads and running wide around bends.. Luv Ina Chevy was 3 deep the trip tonight... Another handful of those runs and he's had it!
Extremely average!

Messenger
12-05-2015, 12:22 AM
I can remember, not so long ago, being amazed at the times they were running at Menangle for 1609m, now it seems that they are going just as fast on the smaller Melton over 1720m

Messenger
05-13-2017, 03:04 AM
I thought I would dust this thread off

There was definitely no Godess at Melton tonight - it will be interesting to see if the vets can explain her poor showing
The 2yo's went 1.53 again - UNBELIEVABLE
Maorisfavouritesun could add another chapter to this legendary family (no need to worry about Ike Frost for this one)

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX120517&ms=vic&fromstate=vic

aussiebreno
05-13-2017, 10:36 AM
Orange Agent and Three Summas brilliant. 2nd place-getters in both race went awesome. Alotbettor - shades of Musical Delight.

Fan of Jate
05-13-2017, 10:53 AM
Very good field in the Bold David FFA. Surely this is a race worth more than the prize money allocated $20,000. Almost a group 2 field I would have thought and if this field was running anywhere else it would have been a $40-$50k race. Maybe because there were a couple of other feature races on. Solid drive from Gath and they seem to have Maximan up and running again. The time wasn't special though compared to the mares group 3 race.

aussiebreno
05-13-2017, 01:04 PM
Very good field in the Bold David FFA. Surely this is a race worth more than the prize money allocated $20,000. Almost a group 2 field I would have thought and if this field was running anywhere else it would have been a $40-$50k race. Maybe because there were a couple of other feature races on. Solid drive from Gath and they seem to have Maximan up and running again. The time wasn't special though compared to the mares group 3 race.
About 20 of those $20K FFA throughout the year. 20*30K = 600K. Money better spent elsewhere when you can get that field for $20K anyway I reckon.

Messenger
06-04-2017, 02:23 AM
Emma Stewart only had 2 winners tonight BUT she only had starters in those 2 races! No doubt in part due to there being 4 trot races
Anton Golino did not have the favourite in the Gp2 Mares Trot but with 5 starters produced the winner - fair effort to have half the field in a Gp2 race. He also had 4 in the Gp1 Trotters Oaks and got the bickies there too
John Justice had the extreme outsider of the field in the M1 but Gotta Go Henry got up at $67.10 Amongst his adversaries were 3 trained by brother Lance
Only 2 odds on winners tonight and some serious value amongst the winners

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX030617&ms=vic

Messenger
05-16-2021, 01:28 AM
BUMP

Only 2 of 10 winners tonight did not lead all the way or come from behind the leader
and Spellbound and Teetreetommy were the best races of the night IMO

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX150521

Messenger
04-17-2022, 11:48 AM
The first three races last night revealed some pretty serious talent with JJ suggesting MM might even be better than Lenin
In the last Musztang proved his liking for Melton (6 of his 9 wins have been there) death seating and running 1.53.8 suggests he can win a $20k race there too

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX160422

Messenger
05-05-2022, 07:56 PM
Things have not been normal in the Messenger household of late and what with Albion Park and Menangle holding APG races, I didn't actually see all the Melton races so I have just watched them now

How good was Joe Pace's drive on Something Bettor in R1. He knew his biggest danger was back in the field and he wasn't going to give it a chance

Trotting imports One Over All R2 and Mufasa Metro R7 have now shown that they are worth whatever their new connections paid for them

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX300422

Messenger
05-15-2022, 07:48 PM
Captain Confetti was a world beater last month but now looks like he might need a spell but the Douglas stable don't seem to believe in spelling. He is in his 9th month of racing since coming over in August but so is Rick Reilly (also in R6 on Saturday night) and I thought RR needed a spell a while back but they have raced on with him and he may be coming good again

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX140522#MXM14052203

Messenger
05-29-2022, 11:43 AM
If you missed the gear failure and then save by the Clerk Of The Course (which led to Melton R8 being abandoned) you can see it hear

https://twitter.com/i/status/1530521328205324290

Messenger
06-19-2022, 01:01 AM
Petracca was our main reason for tuning in tonight and he did not disappoint although nobody was game to challenge him - realists I guess
We had a couple of bonuses, watching another demolition job by his big sister Treachery
and still talking siblings, Yambukian, Catch A Wave's half bro was most impressive first up winning easily from the death

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX180622#MXM18062211

Messenger
08-13-2022, 10:12 PM
Can anyone believe that Boncel Benjamin won an Interdom

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX130822#MXM13082201

Messenger
10-09-2022, 05:51 PM
One Extremely annoying thing at Melton last night was the TV screens not displaying Interim Results
Immediately a race finished Half the screen went straight to the odds for the next race
One Quarter showed the on track vision of the winner returning to scale
One Quarter showed the results for the previous race

So when they cross the finish and you are interested in "what did that pay", all you had was the last race result and this was all you got until well after correct weight
(If anybody in authority doesn't believe me, or understand what I am on about - I can post a pic for you)

Messenger
10-09-2022, 11:30 PM
Another poster has just reminded me of another problem that needs to be fixed for future big meets:

We arrived super early, over an hour before the first race but even so when we turned in off Ferris Rd there were a couple of cars banked up by the attendant directing cars. The first one in the queue must have been arguing that he did not want to go into the grass carpark and no exaggeration the discussion went on for more than a minute. The attendant did not seem to be aware of the problem he was creating and by the time we moved, even at that time, there were now a dozen cars behind us which was about all that fitted inside the gate (off the road). Like I said, my experience was before 5 o'clock and apparently it became a serious problem later when serious numbers were arriving

Messenger
10-16-2022, 02:18 AM
I was at Melton again tonight for the Trotting Group races
I know the program was only a shadow of last weeks but I think we have to seriously analyse why Melton did not even have 1,000 people there tonight
The Sky Box was empty/not in use

Messenger
01-29-2023, 01:44 PM
It did not matter in the end due to Dangerous galloping
but at the start Dangerous was double crossed and Jason Lee had the opportunity to lock him up 3 fence but restrained Keayang Tokyo and let him out
????
Why would you give a $1.15 favourite a break in a $100k final

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX280123#MXM28012307

Messenger
01-29-2023, 02:15 PM
Bettorzippit was most impressive at both ends of the race. As Trev pointed out elsewhere, you cannot credit Jason with putting any polish on the horse as he was only exported to Oz on the 16th - 5 days before his first win.
As good as he seems, it is interesting to note that 3mths ago he was in a race with Copy That.
Copy That gave him 60m start and beat him by 15m
He probably would have got closer but for the leader coming back on him but he would not beat Copy That with 60m start

https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/infohorsews/wsd06x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=RaceVideo&Arg=hrnzg-RacehdrID&Arg=AD64B772-88FA-44A8-ADBA-6A5FB00E9DC0&Arg=hrnzg-rSite&Arg=TRUE

Messenger
01-29-2023, 02:24 PM
Majestic Man is still on the 2nd line of betting for the Great Southern Star at $5.50 along with Aldebaran Zeus, Queen Elida and Majestuoso - all of them behind favourite Just Believe at $4
Despite showing he is better than all of them.
His 43.3 lead time was the second fastest of the night, only 0.2 behind Betterzippit's and 2.6 faster than Hurricane Harley's

Messenger
03-14-2023, 12:33 AM
District Attorney had not had a start for a couple of months and the duo of Tormey and Laugher made sure he was narrowly found lacking in R6
Nothing untoward but they are both Douglas stable drivers. Jack has driven Pas more often than Ellen lately but Michael would know him pretty well too having driven him a few times
Jack made light of the compliments for his drive but it was a gem and almost as important as the horse in the win

Overall Michael who is driving in outstanding form this year, may have asked just a little too much of the DA after a freshen up
I think it was Dan in the TrotsVision team that suggested DA was too short when the break was taken into consideration

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX110323#MXM11032303

Messenger
03-14-2023, 12:44 AM
I have watched R10 again and it is just laughable the way the stewards are so accepting of Ryan Backhouse not wanting to beat the boss (see last 50m)

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX110323#MXM11032305

Messenger
04-09-2023, 01:23 PM
Major Moth is a worry
At best fitness/too long between runs
or has not come up this time in
or ????

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX080423#MXM08042301

Messenger
04-16-2023, 03:24 PM
I wonder whether some horses don't like the rain?
Looking at why Khafaji failed on Saturday
I noticed that Mirakuru did not go a yard (he won his previous start)
As for the QUER for Khafaji, apart from no luck down the back, he needed to be driven for luck as he had 200m+ serious work to catch the mobile!

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX150423#MXM15042303

aussiebreno
09-23-2023, 11:36 PM
Act Now 1st

Felt sorry for Jodi victim of draw and circumstances he was 3 wide and then pressure came at right time from Tango and Better Eclipse but Act Now was brave given just 2nd start and prep has been interupted.

Messenger
10-29-2023, 12:43 AM
Catch A Wave has run a big race but I expected him to still win and cannot help but wonder whether he gave his all in the home straight, I know the times suggest he probably just got tired but the Wave can be a bit cagey

Ladies is back but as suspected - Tilly is no longer as Tough as she used to be

aussiebreno
10-29-2023, 01:38 AM
On initial viewing I thought shade disappointing too but they have gone 1.53. RNR Who beat Curly James by 1.3m when RNR had a 4m headstart at top of the lane and got to race along the fence in the Maryborough Cup. Catch a Wave started behind Curly at top of the lane and covered the extra ground in running line.

Some idiot backed Curly James place only so definitely didnt see Wave getting beat before the race.