PDA

View Full Version : South Australia

Longroad
06-24-2014, 12:47 AM
Been a while but it looks like SA are finally getting their act together:

Firstly, they soundly decide to crack down on those breaking the drug rules by joining NSW in setting a threshold for the new "in" drug COBALT.
Then, they announce that NSW Senior Steward Barbara Scott will take the reins as the first female Chairman of Stewards in Australia.

The fact these announcements were made so close together I wonder if that was planned. Maybe they expecting a run of "Cobalts" and need someone from a state that has been vigorously taking action?
Either way, SA has a big job in front of it if it is to get on top of integrity. And, Scott will have to put her stamp on it immediately. I don't envy her. But good luck she will need it!

SA is currently so far back that it is in danger of being run over by the Ambulance!!

Messenger
06-24-2014, 01:34 AM
Welcome James, at least SA has the most unique looking horse going around even if he has the worst name - Painted Swaffham. Unfortunately he is also barely in front of the ambulance.

Richard prior
06-24-2014, 08:12 AM
SA had a good man at the helm not so long ago in David Aldred and I know it's only hearsay but I was told at the time, He didn't get a lot of support. From all reports, David did a fantastic job in Canada and they are forever grateful for the time and effort that he put in while based there. Good luck to Barbara Scott in her new role, It will be a tough job.

Amlin
06-24-2014, 04:00 PM
Last Saturday night the fast class event at Globe Derby carried stakes of $5400. The same weekend in 1989, 25 years ago, the fast class race carried stakes of $5000.

So not everything has gone backwards in Adelaide trotting!

Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild
06-24-2014, 08:13 PM
A step in the right direction. But. They are so far behind the eight ball, its not funny. Getting stake money in order would be better. SA was the mecca of harness racing in Australia, up till 40 years ago, so i'd love to do a time line on what/where and who went wrong. Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of SA harness racing could fiil us in?

Amlin
06-24-2014, 09:16 PM
From last Saturday night's Globe Derby Park stewards report...

GENERAL

Urine samples were taken from Dr Roger Haensel (Veterinary Surgeon) and also Allan Argent (Track attendant) at tonight’s meeting.

Messenger
06-25-2014, 12:48 PM
From last Saturday night's Globe Derby Park stewards report...

GENERAL

Urine samples were taken from Dr Roger Haensel (Veterinary Surgeon) and also Allan Argent (Track attendant) at tonight’s meeting.

Is this just an example of SA's diligence or ?

BenScadden
06-25-2014, 01:01 PM
A step in the right direction. But. They are so far behind the eight ball, its not funny. Getting stake money in order would be better. SA was the mecca of harness racing in Australia, up till 40 years ago, so i'd love to do a time line on what/where and who went wrong. Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of SA harness racing could fiil us in?
it pretty much coincides with the move from Wayville (CBD fringe) to Globe Derby (which was pretty much a wasteland at the time). Unfortunately, Globe Derby (the track) is a dump

Toohard
06-25-2014, 02:19 PM
http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=23818

Messenger
06-25-2014, 02:33 PM
it pretty much coincides with the move from Wayville (CBD fringe) to Globe Derby (which was pretty much a wasteland at the time). Unfortunately, Globe Derby (the track) is a dump
Interesting. Makes you wonder about the wisdom of Melton and Menangle long term

BenScadden
06-25-2014, 04:37 PM
Interesting. Makes you wonder about the wisdom of Melton and Menangle long term
It was an era of significant change, I guess. TV started to kick in, attendances dropped. It seems all the planets aligned to ensure SA harness racing was sent into a downward spin.

Thevoiceofreason
06-27-2014, 09:50 PM
That is clear that their is a distinct lack of care for what is happening in SA.
Barbara should be able to show the right procedures.

Procedures like this one .... I hope not....http://www.smh.com.au/sport/horseracing/third-time-lucky-stipes-finally-agree-on-finishing-order-for-tricky-race-20100619-ynv3.html

Danno
06-27-2014, 10:39 PM
Welcome back VOR hope the sun is shining for you.....the case you've left the link for was obviously a "balls up" from go to whoa....but there were a few balls ups in that era weren't there?
I think the biggest issue for any kind of racing where the punting dollar is involved is the power of stewards Vs the power of the legal system, ie; if your pockets are deep enough, the stipes can't beat you.

I believe there is definitely a gap between the skills required Vs, those available to keep a lid on certain current behaviours, and I'm certain this is painfully obvious to not only yourself but many others.

There is no doubt the people on the beat need support, equally administration needs to support stipes with clearer, more functional rules that will stand up to legal scrutiny.

Cheers,
Dan

Thevoiceofreason
06-27-2014, 11:07 PM
Welcome back VOR hope the sun is shining for you.....the case you've left the link for was obviously a "balls up" from go to whoa....but there were a few balls ups in that era weren't there?
I think the biggest issue for any kind of racing where the punting dollar is involved is the power of stewards Vs the power of the legal system, ie; if your pockets are deep enough, the stipes can't beat you.

I believe there is definitely a gap between the skills required Vs, those available to keep a lid on certain current behaviours, and I'm certain this is painfully obvious to not only yourself but many others.

There is no doubt the people on the beat need support, equally administration needs to support stipes with clearer, more functional rules that will stand up to legal scrutiny.

Cheers,
Dan

Dan

There is no doubt the rules that seem quite simple are difficult to enforce when the legal eagles get hold of them.

You only have to go back to the Geoff Small tranexamic acid case from a few years back where basically a judge was able to be convinced that blood was not part of the cardo vascular system... the trick being tranexamic acid worked on the blood which was not included in the wording of the rule at that time, hence Small walked.

I feel sorry for stewards now-days in all codes, not sure why anybody would want to be one but easy to see why some leave for greener less stressful fields of endeavor.

Thevoiceofreason
06-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Clearly I'm as confused as you VOR.

If my memory hasn't faded completely I recollect that Scott was interviewed by Alan Jones on 2GB and said she was terrified or something like that. I can't believe that you could be terrified driving around a trotting track at work, then whats got me Confused is that it was with a person you had wanted to pursue a proper relationship with?????? Maybe I'm missing something here?

Scott even said on that Show on SBS that she wanted to be with the bloke she said was terrifying her on 2GB. mmmm

I know its a while back but it was huge news at the time and everyone, me included thought it was just as Scott had portrayed. Not so sure now.
Wonder whatever come of Kevin Adams, I heard through a friend that he was in QLD. Has he been sighted since he lost his job?

Anyway SA will keep her very busy

Well no news there Jones is a shock jock....

Kevin Adams has not been lost to the industry... soon after leaving HRNSW of his own volition he was appointed as the official starter at Newcastle Trots I assume he is still there ... he was the last time I ventured to the trots.

Frano1982
06-28-2014, 07:30 PM
Yeah, he's still at Newcastle...

Amlin
07-03-2014, 11:46 PM
Betting "in the run" is to commence soon on SA trots apparently through corporates. Thoughts?

Longroad
07-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Where is this happening Kyle?

I think the Board in SA must have heaps of confidence in the new Chairwoman Barbara Scott. I reckon betting in the run can open a whole new load of integrity problems.
Hope Scott is prepared for this.

Amlin
07-10-2014, 03:53 PM
SA have announced a 1/4 million extra in stakes next season - for those who missed it - http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=23940 - I guess any increase is handy. It also seems their turnover share has gone up too.

Perhaps one of our SA followers might be able to explain though why they only run three meetings per year at Victor Harbour? It is a 1000-metre, modern track after all, and only a fairly short trip out of Adelaide (I think?) You would think this track would be able to race more often to take some of the pressure off GDP and as a replacement for Gawler.

From what I see it seems the GDP based trainers don't really like to venture too far from GDP - meets at Kapunda, Strath and Victor Harbour struggle for entries and have even been cancelled.

BenScadden
07-10-2014, 05:12 PM
The vast majority of trainers are based at - or very close to - Globe Derby. Victor Harbor is about 100km away.
And the Globe Derby track could cope with racing there five days a week for the entire year if that was the only option - similar to what happens at a lot of tracks in the US.
Victor is a change of pace - but very few people attend harness meetings in SA, regardless of the location.

Amlin
07-20-2014, 11:04 PM
Interview with Barbara Scott as she commences her position in SA

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/superracing/new-chairman-of-stewards-barbara-scott-has-plans-to-bring-fresh-ideas-to-harness-racing-south-australia/story-fnibcfew-1226994258497

Messenger
07-21-2014, 12:31 AM
I had to double check if she was new CEO or Chairman of Stewards when reading that Kyle

Longroad
07-21-2014, 11:09 PM
Once the "first female chairman of stewards" hysteria settles the true test will begin.....

By the way Barbara can we actually start with the Stewards reports being published????

Where is Port Pirie? Or most importantly GLOBE DERBY?

I'm sure when you start they will be up much quicker as you want more people punting on SA.....
Barbara what about the bloke that went 3 back the running line to the poles at GLOBE Saturday night.... unbelievable

BenScadden
07-22-2014, 01:49 PM
Which race was that, James?

Race For Fun
07-23-2014, 10:53 AM
South Australia gains a steward who can read a race and New South Wales plod on.

Longroad
07-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Very interesting.

You have first hand experience of Ms Scott's race reading ability do you?
I'm all for big statements but can you perhaps provide an example of this expertise?

Even better could you explain to the greater audience what the term "race reading" refers to?

Im sure Reid Sanders and his Panel may disagree that they are "plodding along".

Actually 99.9% of all people that have something to do with the industry would disagree.

SA could hardly be called a trail blazer or a state on the move. Unless walking backwards counts as being on the move?
Ms Scotts appointment is certainly a small step forward but don't put the cart before the horse.

NSW have done more to try and regain punters confidence in the last 3 years then any other state. But facts are facts the wagering dollar can only stretch so far. Competition from all sports around the globe is clearly the one thing that will decide the future of this industry.

Messenger
07-27-2014, 01:48 PM
I cannot agree with your last sentence James for as hard as NSW administrators (not all stewards mind you) may have tried NSW has been stinking up the sport in the last 3yrs.
And it will not just be the competition that determines our future as much as our own performance at providing an attractive package - and this is so even if you are talking about wagering alone.

jackthepunter
07-27-2014, 02:38 PM
I cannot agree with your last sentence James for as hard as NSW administrators (not all stewards mind you) may have tried NSW has been stinking up the sport in the last 3yrs.
And it will not just be the competition that determines our future as much as our own performance at providing an attractive package - and this is so even if you are talking about wagering alone.
If some of whats your saying kev is about the drugs issues in nsw I disagree. You'll only find what you go looking for and it depents on how hard and long for you look.
I'm in vic and I refuse to believe that the same drug issues that have happen in nsw, aren't happen right here every day of the week. Its either their not looking very had down here or somethings a miss. Drug issses aren't state related their widespread industry related.

Longroad
07-28-2014, 06:20 PM

Kevin, the "stinking up" as you so eloquently put it happened well before the last three years. If NSW were to adopt an ostrich approach they could have spent the last three years since their darkest hours simply riding along like the other states. Instead they have been clearly investing heavily on new testing regimes and have implemented things like a retention barn at Menangle.

I appreciate that it won't solely be competition that decides the future of this industry however, our own performance is almost a mute point. If the participants took a moment to realize that it is an aging industry and, it was important that everyone took an approach that
they had to compete on a level playing field, had to promote the industry in a positive light and, couldn't just try and win as many races until caught by the lawmakers the industry would stand a chance to maintain market share.

This industry is clearly is under threat from competition. I'm sure that when I was a young bloke I watched a footy game without betting updates and I had to go to the game to see it live.
With costs rising it will be a battle to attract new owners, and people to take an interest in the industry.
Certainly the sale of Harold Park, and, race fields legislation fees have had the ability to keep NSW buoyant. I do wonder what may have happened without these two windfalls.

Race For Fun
07-28-2014, 06:43 PM
Hi James,

Sorry mate I’m new to this forum, I didn’t think that I was making a “big statement” and at no stage in my post did I use the word expertise. I thought what I posted was an opinion of mine it may not be right, it may not be wrong. It may not be the same as you but that’s ok. Oops my bad.
To reply to your questions:

“Explain to the greater audience what the term race reading refers to”
I said reading a race.
In my opinion reading a race is understanding that at times horses race differently to their normal race patterns and not needing change of tactics rules, trainers with multiple horses in races having to go to the stewards and ray horse X is going to do this and horse Y is going to do that. I don’t for one minute think Ms Scott is the only steward can read a race. Didn’t think I had to mention my opinion on all stewards to comment on one. Its just my opinion. Oops.

Im sure Reid Sanders and his panel may disagree that they are “plodding along”
At no stage did I mention Mr. Sanders and or his panel. Or infer that he or his panel were plodding.
I said New South Wales was plodding. Sorry I meant the Harness Racing Industry in New South Wales. I will say that I don’t think harness racing in New South Wales is going gang busters. Not sure if that’s my bad or yours. Might be both of us.

Actually 99.9% of all people that have something to do with the industry would disagree.
I hope you’re right but not sure. Where did you get this figure from? Is it from a survey? Do you mean 99.9% of owners, trainers, drivers, and punters all together?
Can you please provide as you phrased it to the greater audience where you got these figures from.

As for South Australia being a trail blazer or walking backwards, or punters confidence in the last three years. I’m going to leave these statements alone as they are nothing to do with me and I think that they are your opinion which I am going to respect.

Longroad
07-29-2014, 04:39 PM
Hi James,

Sorry mate I’m new to this forum, I didn’t think that I was making a “big statement” and at no stage in my post did I use the word expertise. I thought what I posted was an opinion of mine it may not be right, it may not be wrong. It may not be the same as you but that’s ok. Oops my bad.
To reply to your questions:

“Explain to the greater audience what the term race reading refers to”
I said reading a race.
In my opinion reading a race is understanding that at times horses race differently to their normal race patterns and not needing change of tactics rules, trainers with multiple horses in races having to go to the stewards and ray horse X is going to do this and horse Y is going to do that. I don’t for one minute think Ms Scott is the only steward can read a race. Didn’t think I had to mention my opinion on all stewards to comment on one. Its just my opinion. Oops.

Im sure Reid Sanders and his panel may disagree that they are “plodding along”
At no stage did I mention Mr. Sanders and or his panel. Or infer that he or his panel were plodding.
I said New South Wales was plodding. Sorry I meant the Harness Racing Industry in New South Wales. I will say that I don’t think harness racing in New South Wales is going gang busters. Not sure if that’s my bad or yours. Might be both of us.

I hope you’re right but not sure. Where did you get this figure from? Is it from a survey? Do you mean 99.9% of owners, trainers, drivers, and punters all together?
Can you please provide as you phrased it to the greater audience where you got these figures from.

As for South Australia being a trail blazer or walking backwards, or punters confidence in the last three years. I’m going to leave these statements alone as they are nothing to do with me and I think that they are your opinion which I am going to respect.

Toni,

Can I draw your attention to Race 1 at Globe Derby on Friday night. Favorite hands up without any resistance to an outsider that was three deep for 500 metres. Then ends up 3 pegs, gets dragged back, gets out at 150 and flies home to finish second. OMG

No questions asked, but a reprimand for whip use???

Is this the race reading you are talking about?

Surely at least a question could be asked? I'm not going to get on hear and bag everyone that drives a bad race or the Stewards.... there are enough people who have never achieved much in harness racing that do this already.

But, I am going to challenge those who throw out big statements.

Longroad
07-29-2014, 04:42 PM
http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=GD250714&ms=sa

Easy access

teecee
07-29-2014, 05:38 PM
I can't say that that would be the race I would choose if I was wanting to pick holes in the stewards analysis thereof.

Race For Fun
07-29-2014, 08:24 PM
Come on James your not being fair now, you can't ask me another question when you have not answered my question and don't forget that I posted my opinion early last week before this race. That's not very sporting of you.

Where did you get the figure 99.9% of all people that have something to do with the industry would disagree.

broncobrad
07-29-2014, 10:27 PM
James...what do you make of the questions raised by the panel in races 3 and 8 on the same program? Thorough enough or not?

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=GD250714

Messenger
03-09-2015, 12:39 AM
Did anybody else not even know about this race until after it was run?

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/More-trips-on-the-cards-for-Palmer