PDA

View Full Version : Melton PREview

Messenger
07-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Not being much of a punter nowadays, nor a form student like a lot of you guys, I may be way off the mark but hasn't the barrier draw further improved Mindarie's chances in the 3yoF final?

She can lead and will not have either of Barynya or Berisari on her back

$2.40 on TAB

brent_L
07-03-2014, 10:55 PM
You're spot on Kev. MP goes lengths better in front so if u were to take a line thru last weeks heat + the Vic Oaks final she is definitely at a more than fair price. If she gets a lead time in 45.5+ and a first quart in 30+ it could very well be lights out for the others.

Messenger
07-04-2014, 03:15 AM
I suppose there are 4 explanations for last weeks somewhat lack lustre finish and only 1 of the 4 is of concern
- it was only a semi
- she is much better in the lead
- it was only her 2nd run after 6 wks of not racing
- the 6 wks did not freshen her up enough and she could be a little flat

Messenger
07-04-2014, 03:58 AM
I really like Niki No No in the 2yoF and with the draw I would be hoping that Greg Sugars can drive her a little better than last week - he asked a lot of her and she delivered but there is a little concern as to how that could affect her this week
Maybe Miss Condoleezza at big odds from the pole for a roughie - Sugars drive on her was more economical but she does go a bit ruff under pressure and may not have the speed to use her draw for the sit
Maybe you can forgive Lovelist one poor run last week but along with her draw this week it is a bit off-putting. Paul Humphreys did mention that she was quite late getting out onto the track

brent_L
08-05-2014, 03:00 PM
It will be great to see Keayang Steamer back at the track this coming Fri night. Going by a recent trial (1:56.1 for 2240) he looks to have returned in fine fettle. He won't have things all his own way what with drawing sr1 in a full field + coming up against last weeks 'eye-catcher' Jacka Clive and honest (and VERY fast) mare Gumdrops.
Other highlights on the card IMO include the enigmatic Blitzthemcalder & the promising Upanatom.

Smoken
08-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Hope Jacka Clive continues on from his flying 2nd last start. Very good racing coming up.

Njcstables
08-05-2014, 03:53 PM
It will be great to see Keayang Steamer back at the track this coming Fri night. Going by a recent trial (1:56.1 for 2240) he looks to have returned in fine fettle. He won't have things all his own way what with drawing sr1 in a full field + coming up against last weeks 'eye-catcher' Jacka Clive and honest (and VERY fast) mare Gumdrops.
Other highlights on the card IMO include the enigmatic Blitzthemcalder & the promising Upanatom.

Personally Brent I'm hoping Upanatom doesn't win but that's unlikely! I too am looking forward to K. Steamer being back given glen craven has chosen him over K Cullen as his drive going forward.

Messenger
08-05-2014, 05:14 PM
I just caught up with the video of those heats. I came through Melton after lunch on that day (oblivious to the fact there were trots on) and it was windy and sunny so I figure there must have been a cloudburst Nathan. Gee your bloke is racing so consistently well

Messenger
08-05-2014, 05:33 PM
How does Seven Nations become emergency in that field? He and Coppagoodone finished 7th in their various heats but Seven was only beaten 22m while Coppa was beaten 100m. If you go on previous starts you would have to go back 5 starts before Coppa edges in front. Not a biggie I know but wondered

mightymo
08-05-2014, 05:41 PM
I just caught up with the video of those heats. I came through Melton after lunch on that day (oblivious to the fact there were trots on) and it was windy and sunny so I figure there must have been a cloudburst Nathan. Gee your bloke is racing so consistently well

I cant wait for the 2yo race at Bendigo on Sat - Follow The Stars v Linda Lovegrace v Field Marshal. Should be a cracking race

aussiebreno
08-05-2014, 05:44 PM
How does Seven Nations become emergency in that field? He and Coppagoodone finished 7th in their various heats but Seven was only beaten 22m while Coppa was beaten 100m. If you go on previous starts you would have to go back 5 starts before Coppa edges in front. Not a biggie I know but wondered

Race time.

brent_L
08-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Personally Brent I'm hoping Upanatom doesn't win but that's unlikely! I too am looking forward to K. Steamer being back given glen craven has chosen him over K Cullen as his drive going forward.
Aha, that answers a question I've had the past fortnight......why was Jason Lee driving K Cullen. Thanks & good luck on Fri.

Toohard
08-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Jason Lee said in after race interview after Cullens win Saturday night that he driving because Glen Craven had found love. And not with Keayang Steamer:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Messenger
01-23-2015, 02:06 AM
Interesting first starters in the 3yo

A Few Dollars More
The first of two foals from Apennyspent (deceased)
who was a half sister to the ill-fated Mindarie Priddy

Ellas A Kriden
from a full sister to Concorde Lombo
who has already proven herself a good producer

Messenger
09-28-2017, 01:07 AM
BUMP

A reminder that tomorrow, Thursday is our Metro night at Melton this week (public holiday the next day/Grand Final eve)

Cranbourne Tk Record breaker Don Pierre has drawn SR4 in the M0 R1 at 5.35pm

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX280917&fromstate=vic

Messenger
09-29-2017, 01:27 AM
BUMP

A reminder that tomorrow, Thursday is our Metro night at Melton this week (public holiday the next day/Grand Final eve)

Cranbourne Tk Record breaker Don Pierre has drawn SR4 in the M0 R1 at 5.35pm

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX280917&fromstate=vic

Don Pierre seemed very disappointing but they ran Very fast time for an M0
I reckon Don could do with a spell. I noticed that apart from one break of 8 weeks between runs he has been up for 13mths and in this period he has had 39 starts

Messenger
05-21-2022, 02:12 PM
Amore Vita ($1.70) back tonight, R9 may be the highlight of the program IMO.
Interesting to see that Solesseo Matuca ($2.00) is almost contesting favouritism with her so we may get a race not a procession

Hard to believe that at her last start Amore Vita was beaten by Just Hope who paid $71 winning the NSW Oaks

Messenger
10-20-2022, 09:42 AM
For dessert on an excellent program at Melton tomorrow night, we see Idyllic return in the last race after 19 months off the track
He boasts the brilliant record of 18-8-6-1

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX211022

ps We might need a bit of luck for the rain to hold off on Friday night

Messenger
01-27-2023, 02:00 PM
An excellent program for tomorrow night
Most races appear to have 2 strong chances

R1 we see how the Sugars/Tubbs NZ import Rakero Rebel now into $2.40 compares to the Riverina import Our Lady Lara $3.10 who was most impressive last start

R2 Captain Bellasario has drifted out to $2.10 after getting beat at $1.45 last week while Heza Son Of Agun has come into $5

R3 possibly the most one sided race with Outlaw Man $1.55 going for 5/5 since joining the Gaths

R4 another 1200m Mercury sees Fire Fox who had no luck last week $2.25 fav from Bulletproof Boy but they have both drawn wide. Speedster Streitkid is being kept very safe at $3.70

R5 Hurricane Harley has been gifted barrier 1 but he will have Inter runner up Torrid Saint right on his back awaiting the sprint lane

R6 Just Believe has to contend with Queen Elida and Majestic Man who have both drawn better. The Queen has been backed into $2 while MM has blown to $3.70 with JB steady at $3.20

R7 Dangerous is stepping up to the big time and 1 should help but School Captain is pretty special

R8 Betterzippit is $1.35 for this final but I expect him to be tested a little more than last week what with $50k being up for grabs

R9 Central Otago is supposed to be the danger to stablemate Chinese Whisper but that is not going to happen so CW is $1.60

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX280123

Messenger
01-28-2023, 05:22 PM
The scratching of Our Lady Lara in R1 and School Captain in R7 has stripped a layer of gloss from the meeting :(

Messenger
01-28-2023, 09:50 PM
You had to laugh at the Form guide suggesting Streitkid would be $16 (JB)
Started $4.80 fixed but was backable on the tote paying $6.90
Anyone with half a memory should have remembered how fast out he is
The only thing that put me off was the talk that the inside was off

JB now raving about him - he is supposed to know form
If they are after a form analyst they do not need JB - Rob Auber is a much better analyst (as is Dan)

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX280123#MXM28012305

Messenger
01-28-2023, 11:19 PM
LOL I tried to talk myself into backing Catalpa Rescue the place in the 3yo Classic
Abby often has good battles with her brother
I looked at the replays of his last couple
$101 fixed

Messenger
03-15-2023, 01:23 AM
Code Bailey, now 8yo, is having his first start in 21mths in the 1200m Stampede. It is 37mths since he last won

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX180323#MXM18032301

Messenger
03-18-2023, 01:30 PM
Absolutely unbelievable that Ryan Backhouse is allowed to butter up again on Eyethink tonight. Stablemate Hot Deal is shorter in the market so I wonder whether he will try to beat him tonight

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX180323#MXM18032304

When you take into account that the kid pleaded guilty, the stewards decision last week was possibly the worst decision I can ever remember in harness racing

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/stewards-reports/stewards-reports-detail/?mc=MX110323

Messenger
07-19-2023, 12:56 AM
A couple of champions resuming sure makes a difference to a meeting

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX220723

Messenger
08-16-2023, 02:24 AM
The Westburn Grant FFA is some race on Saturday night

Act Now and Rock N Roll Doo resuming
Encipher, Mach Dan, Better Eclipse, Hurricane Harley
and Pacifico Dream resuming for Alex Ashwood

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX190823#MXM19082301

Messenger
08-16-2023, 02:55 PM
https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/articles/the-stars-come-out-to-play-in-hot-westburn-grant-ffa/

I would be bringing RNRDoo along very carefully if I was MS and going back for a late trail up and one dash

aussiebreno
08-19-2023, 11:59 PM
Lol Dan basically saying the best of Rocknroll Who is the best of any horse in this Westburn Grant.

He won a Kilmore Cup when Honolua Bay was the run of the race and Honolua later proved this with his phenomenal season. '

Then he won the Vic Cup when you could have thrown a blanket over the first 4.

Act Now beat up on him for fun as a 3yo then was one Jodi Quinlan brain fade from an ID win.

aussiebreno
08-20-2023, 12:16 AM
And with that we'll have a great chance at laying at unders some point this season!

Encipher adds a bit more intrigue into the Eureka.

Act Now and Mach Dan tracking exactly the same as pre Inters last season!

Messenger
08-20-2023, 02:47 AM
Don't get a set against him Brendan. He has been inconsistent but he is a very good horse. I was there Vic Cup night and he was awesome. I am a big fan of Act Now (all old punters love leaders that win) and Honolua is special

aussiebreno
08-20-2023, 11:15 AM
Don't get a set against him Brendan. He has been inconsistent but he is a very good horse. I was there Vic Cup night and he was awesome. I am a big fan of Act Now (all old punters love leaders that win) and Honolua is special

He's a Grand Circuit horse and the back end of his prep wasnt him but its disrespectful to other horses to be saying his best is better than everyone elses best IMHO.

Messenger
08-20-2023, 03:01 PM
I guess but it was just part of Dan giving his tips and being a media performer/host. They are sensibly back to using him more and only having 2 on the panel (I am thinking this is budgetary not just the fact that JB has gone missing). It is his opinion that RNRDoo has more ability than anything else in that race

Yabbie
08-22-2023, 01:03 PM
I guess but it was just part of Dan giving his tips and being a media performer/host. They are sensibly back to using him more and only having 2 on the panel (I am thinking this is budgetary not just the fact that JB has gone missing). It is his opinion that RNRDoo has more ability than anything else in that race

JB has been on leave but is now back

Messenger
08-22-2023, 02:17 PM
I hope he is OK.

Yabbie
08-22-2023, 08:11 PM
I hope he is OK.

I believe so - just needed an extended break :)

Messenger
08-22-2023, 11:35 PM
Already writing articles so it would seem so

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/the-forum/bonnington/bonnington-equality-yet-to-be-found-as-our-mares-often-sit-in-the-shadows/

Messenger
09-06-2023, 10:57 AM
Hey Brendan, can you answer PP's question:
How can Act Now get balloted to Emergency for the Gp2 Caduceus Classic on Friday at Melton?
We want the stars racing surely

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX080923#MXM08092301

aussiebreno
09-06-2023, 12:08 PM
Hey Brendan, can you answer PP's question:
How can Act Now get balloted to Emergency for the Gp2 Caduceus Classic on Friday at Melton?
We want the stars racing surely

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX080923#MXM08092301

I was scraching my head when I seen field and only thing I can think of is Prizemoney this season. Must have caught Stewarts off guard because wasn't nommed for the other race Triple Eight is in.

Messenger
09-09-2023, 03:43 PM
It would seem that Act Now was a late nom and thus made em.

aussiebreno
10-31-2023, 08:02 PM
4yo and 5yo race only a small field but its a cracker. I have Axt Now and Catch a Wave as 2 and 3 in Aust but every chance they both miss the quinella here with Major Moth and Beyond Delight both drawn well. Solid no bet race unless something is stupid odds.

Queen of the Pacific will be a belter too. Hoping Ladies in Red can stamp her authority.

Messenger
10-31-2023, 11:17 PM
https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX041123

With Ladies In Red's run of draws you could be excused for thinking she was ODM

aussiebreno
11-04-2023, 09:11 PM
4yo and 5yo race only a small field but its a cracker. I have Axt Now and Catch a Wave as 2 and 3 in Aust but every chance they both miss the quinella here with Major Moth and Beyond Delight both drawn well. Solid no bet race unless something is stupid odds.

Queen of the Pacific will be a belter too. Hoping Ladies in Red can stamp her authority.

Shows why it was a solid no bet race and both Act Now and Wave miss the quinella.

Best 2 drives won the race. Sugars even chuckles on Trots Vision when he says nobody wanted to sit out the lead.

Messenger
11-04-2023, 10:28 PM
Yes I do not think the race told us much. That was only Major Moth's 2nd up so it is OK that he was probably the least impressive. Hard to make ground on 26 secs

aussiebreno
11-04-2023, 10:36 PM
Treachery $7.50 in a Kilmore Cup. Best run behind RNR Doo in Mary Cup. Took ground off Ladiesinred last week. $19 here... staight into the running line behind a fast beginner.

aussiebreno
11-04-2023, 10:51 PM
How good is that. Ladiesinred is back to her best

Messenger
11-04-2023, 10:54 PM
As Luke said - she is a champion
Even if we make 'champion' the exclusive label it should be - she is a champion
At this point the others are VERY VERY good mares but she may be the only Champion

Congratulations Anne

Jasper
11-05-2023, 11:53 AM
How is Ladies In Red’s record against the males/how would she go etc? I note that she was only 1 second outside the track record set by Tiger Tara, in his brutal Hunter Cup win. He broke the field with a 27.2 third quarter, off a hot pace from the front, she came from behind. Her sectionals will make interesting reading. They’ve done an excellent job to get her back after the injury (not sure what it was).

The good mares don’t race much against the males these days unfortunately, which is understandable given the mares prize money on offer but you can’t help but wonder.

aussiebreno
11-05-2023, 12:51 PM
Lets hope we get the chance to see.
The last couple months we've seen more of those mares against the boys than usual and they have performed admirably. Ladies in Red just demolished them so I think she stacks up quite well. She could well stamp herself as top 3 or top 5 in the country with the right opportunities.

Messenger
11-05-2023, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't even rule out her being numero uno
At present she only has the one open age win 1/1 winning the Gp1 Rising Sun last year - she beat Better Eclipse (who won the main race for the big boys last night) and Leap To Fame

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=AP090722#APM09072201

aussiebreno
11-05-2023, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't even rule out her being numero uno]

Yep its a distinct possibility

Jasper
11-05-2023, 02:52 PM
I agree with your comments after looking at her sectionals.She ran her last 2400 in 2.47.65. Covered extra ground too.

Messenger
11-05-2023, 06:22 PM
On HRV facebook, some crazy $@&# criticized Luke's call for stating the drivers' colours.
It was a brilliant call and a clever idea to do the colours on the first time running through the field, for in a long race like the Queen, you can get a lot of repetition if only stating the horses positions
This idiot claimed that everybody knows the colours of the horses at this level
Surely he has to be joking - there is no way that 10% of the population know the horses colours, even in this Gp1

aussiebreno
11-05-2023, 07:16 PM
On HRV facebook, some crazy $@&# criticized Luke's call for stating the drivers' colours.
It was a brilliant call and a clever idea to do the colours on the first time running through the colours, for in a long race like the Queen, you can get a lot of repetition if only stating the horses positions
This idiot claimed that everybody knows the colours of the horses at this level
Surely he has to be joking - there is no way that 10% of the population know the horses colours, even in this Gp1
Yeah what a clown. Call was deadly accurate and had colour and excitement. The ability to be calling horses in different/opposite part of the field but pick up on the exact moment Braeview Kelly made its dash to the lead and the moment Ladies pulled 3 wide speaks volumes to Lukes skill.