PDA

View Full Version : Interdominion

Boydy
04-29-2014, 06:27 PM
Does anyone have an opinion on the Interdominion discussions on In the Gig last night?

Am I just being cynical? As my summary of the interview is HRA do not care what the format or location is as long as you bring the biggest cheque book.

The job of HRA is to determine what event will be held not say we will consider any proposal put forward. Could you imagine a major corporation being run in the way? HRA please provide some leadership.

I am saddened by the way the Interdom has gone and appears to be going and hopefully some form of tradition can be reinstalled to the event.

p plater
04-29-2014, 07:50 PM
quote"Am I just being cynical? As my summary of the interview is HRA do not care what the format or location is as long as you bring the biggest cheque book."

No direction at all equals no idea......just dollars.

The old format wins hands down from this new FFA format. Give me the toughest over a 4 race series. No more wild cards etc. score the points in the heats and enjoy your right to be in the final.

Messenger
04-29-2014, 08:55 PM
You men are making too much sense :(

Boydy
04-29-2014, 10:08 PM
According to the interview last night apparently HRA are expecting 5 tenders.

I work in the construction industry and would love to see the individual states consider a joint venture. No one wants to see three years in the same location.

Three states/countries(NZ - no offence) are surely stronger than one state. Support each other and people will travel for the series. Go traditional and be forever successful.

Maorisidol
04-30-2014, 12:12 AM
quote"Am I just being cynical? As my summary of the interview is HRA do not care what the format or location is as long as you bring the biggest cheque book."

No direction at all equals no idea......just dollars.

The old format wins hands down from this new FFA format. Give me the toughest over a 4 race series. No more wild cards etc. score the points in the heats and enjoy your right to be in the final.

"FFA format"! So true there Bailey.
I remember growing up and getting excited over the ID Carnival listening to the heats of Australias best battling it out over the sprint, middle and long distance heats.
The thought of the ID coming to Melbourne was huge, it only happened every few years so you HAD to be there. Attended my first ID at age 5 in 1970 with local Alfy Simons winning with Bold David (no i really don't remember much at age 5!) But we travelled to Globe Derby to see 100-1 shot Carclew lead all the way in '76 and i certainly remember my favourite Steelo getting rolled that night. Shortly after in "78 the show lands back in Melbourne at the Valley and the stars of the show were there for all to see, Jacko was down from Temora, Don't Retreat, Dimante Hanover, Royal Gaze and of course B Gath and winner Markovina flying home down the outside!
And last year an ID heat was in Melbourne, but couldn't even get interested in going to see the FFA disguised as a supposed ID!
Sure the final was a great race but the joke of a heat in NZ was a waste even running, the favourite for the Qld heat a 100-1 shot in the final, another FFA in Perth, all boring and predictable essentially to who will get to Menangle for the final. Thats not a carnival, thats not an event, thats not an show rolling into town, thats not an ID!.
At worst run 2 invited heats one weekend with the best 20 horses and run the final 7 days later.

Messenger
04-30-2014, 02:06 AM
Great post Ash but do not compromise - shove that last line. Decision makers this is the passion you have to strive for - for the future of the code

Richard prior
04-30-2014, 08:08 AM
Well said Ash but I would delete your last paragraph. The Interdom is about tradition and I would go with the old format, A Sprint, Middle distance and a Staying race and also make it a points scoring affair with no wild cards or freebies etc. It would be great if it was a dual or tri-state affair. I would scratch the Heat in NZ and make the horses come to Australia and compete in the heats here with no restrictions, Compete in any heat in which ever state or states they are run in. I would also have no problems if the series was run in NZ, The heats could be run on both islands and if this was the case, It would be the same for the Australian horses, They would have to travel to NZ to compete. It's a bit like Field of Dreams, Build it and they will come.

Danno
04-30-2014, 11:45 AM
That was a great post Ash, but like others I would delete the last line.However you certainly captured what an ID actually IS, and the current format is certainly NOT that.

I truly wonder what the NSWHRC and HRA have set done as indicators for success or otherwise for not only the format being run at Menangle, but the current "tender" process and subsequent allocation.

I can't see how the ID being run three years in a row at the one venue is good for the game, either in the short term or the longer term. To me that seems like very similar thinking to taking the licence off tracks and centralising to one venue in each area which was foisted on us a few years ago and has since proven to have a negative impact on participation.

I'm all for trying new ways of doing things for the betterment of the game as a whole, but some things like this current format and the wholly negative feedback from industry participants ( I say wholly because I can't remember a single participant saying it's a good idea) should be an indicator that it's a mistake not to be repeated.

Cheers,
Dan

p plater
04-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Along with the format of the Interdominion, maybe we should discuss the best location to hold a series. If the main concern is patron numbers to boost income, you may wish to question the granting of a 3 year stint in one location. Visitors to any venue are unlikely to go 3 years in a row as a holiday destination imo.
Then you question attractions to bring the crowd, Menangle and Melton are 50 km from the main city. Albion Park is not suitable because of the on course ammenities (at this stage) but is closer to Brisbane. WA has the ideal location but imo would need to increase the track size to a 1000m at least to suit. NZ both North and South Islands have appeal but the Aussie content could be low due to costs, as against NZer's coming to Aust.
To me a carnival over 2 weeks and at a couple of venues in a State to allow visitors to see parts of Aust they would not normally see plus encourage country participation which is much needed. Use the banner "The Interdominion is coming to Town" then the final at the main track.
We need more ideas to help the HRA management, who have none.

Mitch
05-02-2014, 12:01 AM
I haven't been around for as long as some others on this site so the tradition of the ID doesn't go as deep for me. Still, I did love it as a kid/teenager growing up.

I do however think some may be overlooking a pretty important point. That point is that the ID carnival in its traditional format has become unprofitable for race clubs to host. So whilst most harness fans love it, the big events need to appeal to a broader audience to generate the additional investment to make them feasible.

So based on this 1 of 2 things has to happen; 1. Continue with the traditional format but totally re-invent how it is marketed and how it is leveraged to generate interest to the non everyday harness people. 2. Refine the format and support it with a robust marketing & attraction plan that delivers a superior outcome to the current.

I think NSW has grand final day pretty close to right but the process of getting to grand final day (i.e. the heats round) still needs quite of a bit of work in my opinion.

Richard prior
05-02-2014, 12:27 AM
Well Said Mitch!!!

craig
05-03-2014, 01:12 AM
I remember, as a kid growing up in this industry, waiting all year for the inters. Saturday, tuesday and Saturday, doing the points while listening on the radio or watching it on the ABC, i think. You just dont get that interest now, with the current format. It is still a great race to watch, but it is not the inters as i remember them. There really was nothing wrong with the old format. I think it was just hijacked by some people who were of the belief it was dying in its former format. Was not the case. As for where it is held. I dont have a problem with it at Menangle, it is the best venue to showcase this wonderful code and animal.

HaroldParker
05-05-2014, 01:10 AM
Stick a fork in NZ. What is it, 8 horses in 2 years ?

I made two trips to WA from Sydney a few years ago for their ID, loved it.

I've been to Gloucester Park quite a few times since, when I'm in WA for business and even on "ordinary" Friday nights there's a buzz there that you don't get anywhere else in Australia.

Firstly there's a crowd and secondly they're knowledgeable. Perhaps it's because thoroughbred racing isn't as dominant in WA as NSW and VIC ?

A mix of WA and NSW, returning to the original format.

Big K
07-04-2014, 08:02 AM
just saw WA's offer to run the next set of Inters in WA after NSW and its gunna be tough to beat.Im talkin big big prize money!!!!!!Not sayin till its official!! and good luck if you know more!!

Richard prior
07-17-2014, 08:04 AM
Apparently The Interdom is heading back to Western Australia, More to come folks.

Maorisidol
07-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Apparently The Interdom is heading back to Western Australia, More to come folks.

Stupid idea...

Viv Strangman
07-17-2014, 09:36 AM
They are talking of making it the richest race in the world and reverting to the old format of three heats and a final. That would mean a race for $1,000,000+. Bring it on I say

Smoken
07-17-2014, 11:34 AM
GP must be an amazing track or have something special.. It may be the palm trees..

Danno
07-17-2014, 11:35 AM
They are talking of making it the richest race in the world and reverting to the old format of three heats and a final. That would mean a race for $1,000,000+. Bring it on I say

Agreed, surely that would get our local media's attention and stimulate some non industry interest in the game?

Totally agree with reverting to the old format as well, IMO the format being run at Sydney is not working in any way shape or form.

Messenger
07-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Stupid idea...
Ash, if Ray Chaplin is right (see 'Why has HRA not supported ...' thread) Gloucester Park is the only place that has still got pulling power

broncobrad
07-17-2014, 11:57 AM
If it is true (the three heats format returning), three cheers...

It puts the onus fairly back to the connections of the top flight horses to support the concept. A real litmus test for the series being supported in WA taking into consideration the time and travel involved to see all of the best available horses making the trip.

Richard prior
07-17-2014, 12:43 PM
Stupid idea...

Your Joking Ash!!!

Mighty Atom
07-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Ash, if Ray Chaplin is right (see 'Why has HRA not supported ...' thread) Gloucester Park is the only place that has still got pulling power

Sorry Ash.

Mighty Atom
07-17-2014, 02:53 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLR2O_8SkdHhmge7M43tgBMHxJYuYzG nSGjuFeKBT4PuzjjRQXng
GP must be an amazing track or have something special.. It may be the palm trees..

Quite right Smoken it does have something special but it does need a 1000 metre track - even bigger but I don't think they have the area to accommodate.

Smoken
07-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Always loved the scenery there @ GP. Not many if any has those views! Definitely needs a 1000m track, at least!
I loved Moonee Valley and the atmosphere, track might not be as good as Melton, but over all I preferred it much more, and so much closer..

Messenger
07-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Moonee Valley closer than Melton? Are you sure you are not getting mixed up with The Showgrounds EV? I am assuming you are talking about the tracks not their location as you opened with a need for a 1000m tk at GP and talking about atmosphere

Smoken
07-17-2014, 04:22 PM
Moonee Valley is a fair bit closer to the city than Melton Kev, easily. Melton is a nice complex, regardless of distance, but I'm sure if it was the same distance as Moonee Valley is, more people would be going. Moonee Valley is only 7.7km from the CBD, Melton is around 46km. Huge difference. I remember Strident won the last race run at Moonee Valley. Sad night it was :(

Messenger
07-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Just like I did not get your drift - you are not getting mine. I thought you were saying the track was closer to the people as you were talking about things like atmosphere. I know the suburbs distances Ev - I lived in Melbourne for 58yrs before moving up here (and maps are a passion of mine)

Greg Hando
07-17-2014, 04:49 PM

I hope this is true best thing for the sport the Menangle way sucks.

Smoken
07-17-2014, 05:11 PM
Hahaha, sorry Kev, now I get ya :p I'm sure you know Melbourne/Victoria, & have far far more experience in regards to Harness racing, & seeing different tracks. For me, Moonee Valley any day compared to Melton, the whole atmosphere/area/history etc. Maybe in 30yrs God willing, Melton would be special in its own way. I ain't that old, but I definitely love the 70's 80's and early 90's, and Smoken Up has really given me priceless memories in the last 7yrs.
They should put Palm trees all around Melton, and a river/beach :) :p

Messenger
07-17-2014, 10:00 PM
You need to get to Yarra Valley (YGlen) my old home track if you love beautiful views/settings mate

Smoken
07-17-2014, 10:08 PM
Yarra Valley is very refreshing and picturesque! You up north now Kev?

Messenger
07-17-2014, 11:34 PM
North West Ev and now I live between the hills instead of on top of one - I used to be able to see the YV trots from my house (except for the finish line thanks to the grandstand)
Strange thing that grandstand - I am not sure that the top floor has ever really been used. It could be anything! But I always thought it would be a Pokies lounge if nothing else. They were so desperate for ideas that it was going to be tutorial rooms for a viticulture course at one stage.

Danno
07-18-2014, 12:15 AM
If it is true (the three heats format returning), three cheers...

It puts the onus fairly back to the connections of the top flight horses to support the concept. A real litmus test for the series being supported in WA taking into consideration the time and travel involved to see all of the best available horses making the trip.

Agree with all the points you make Brad, and I believe the success of the series if run in this way in WA will hopefully convince some of our administrators to stop catering to the few punters/participants/breeders/owners that are left in the game and start championing the industry to NEW people, our game needs to stop shrinking!!! and we need to convert the mindset from protection to gregarious growth.

cheers,
Dan

The Escape Club
07-18-2014, 01:30 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLR2O_8SkdHhmge7M43tgBMHxJYuYzG nSGjuFeKBT4PuzjjRQXng

Quite right Smoken it does have something special but it does need a 1000 metre track - even bigger but I don't think they have the area to accommodate.

They build the new footy stadium by 2018, they eventually decide it's stupid to keep playing some cricket at the WACA so they knock it down. Are they in close enough proxity to each other for that space to be within reach?

Messenger
07-18-2014, 01:44 AM
You're our WA expert Robert so I think you are suggesting they are. I hope they do not go too big - lets keep harness a non binocular sport

The Escape Club
07-18-2014, 01:54 AM
You're our WA expert Robert so I think you are suggesting they are. I hope they do not go too big - lets keep harness a non binocular sport

I've only lived here for 3 years and I'm about 1,000km from Perth. We had almost decided to move Ballochbuie over here last week, in which case I would have travelled down a bit and taken more interest. In the end we left him in Sydney, hopefully he comes back stronger from his spell.

Big K
07-18-2014, 02:29 AM
Looks like the cats out of the bag so to speak with the Inter Dom thread.I think offers are laid to bare this Monday.Think you'll find WA's offer will be bigger than posted..richest harness race in the world I think.

brent_L
07-18-2014, 04:44 AM
Agree with all the points you make Brad, and I believe the success of the series if run in this way in WA will hopefully convince some of our administrators to stop catering to the few punters/participants/breeders/owners that are left in the game and start championing the industry to NEW people, our game needs to stop shrinking!!! and we need to convert the mindset from protection to gregarious growth.

cheers,
Dan
Exactly!

Hopefully one night of heats gets down to Pinjarra as well.

G-Mac
07-18-2014, 10:47 AM
There are several positives in returning to WA in the format suggested. The format to start with, a true Interdominion. Hurrah! The $$$ on offer, although yet to be confirmed, are sounding very healthy, and the track the final will be held at can draw a crowd and has history/mystique.

Of the negatives. The first three issues are:
- the size of the track. Some of the current standardbreds just can't get around a half mile track and it's also conducive to the 'best draw wins'. A huge percentage of GP winners draw 1 or 2. It's a long way to float a horse if you will be cruelled by the fall of a marble
- Location: Again, a long way to float a horse if you think you are a realistic chance of squeaking into a final at best.
- Climate: Having lived in Perth for a period of over 20 years (and experiencing 20 odd February/March heatwaves) and attended the last two Interdominion series held there...well, if it was tough on the spectators it was 10 times as tough on the participants.

But all of these negatives can be soothed with $$$ which, by all indications, will happen. If the $$$ are on offer it's worth a crack. To ensure the best 36 are in WA for the series the club will have to ensure there are lucrative FFA and consolations on offer for those who miss out.

Something money cannot change is the timezone. An 8pm final in Perth is 11pm eastern standard time. People in WA will say 'so what' and 'deal with it' but the reality is that over 80% of Australia's population lives in the eastern timezone. It's not a right or wrong discussion, it's a commercial reality that needs to be addressed. Turnover will not be optimal when a majority of the 80% are in bed. Then it's even worse for NZ. You have a situation where 1/4 of the participating dominions is watching the race the following day. Have the final earlier in the evening and a lot of the crowd couldn't make it due to work etc. The best way to deal with this timezone issue is to run the final on a Sunday. Families can make a day of it, there is less competition for turnover, and if the final is run at 4pm WST it hits a sweet spot in the East and is still reasonable in NZ.

In summary: Tradition + $$$ + Sunday Final = Winner.

Messenger
07-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Great summary Glen.
I think your Sunday arvo idea is good but would that make the heat a bigger factor? How late can we hold an Inter? Would a late Mar final give a better chance of temperate weather?
It would be interesting to see stats on half mile Inter tracks and to compare them to 1200+ stats.

Mighty Atom
07-18-2014, 02:48 PM
If the I.D. returns to Perth I wouldn't be surprised if the track is increased ( hopefully ) to 1000 metres as well. They were talking about the track 12 months or so back. Don't think a 1200 metre track is feasible without major infrastructure change. Sunday final great idea around about 5pm local time.

Mighty Atom
07-18-2014, 02:54 PM
Hi Kev, what do you think the chances are of a 1000 metre track if Perth gets the I.D.?

brent_L
07-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Just went back and had a look at the quality of the fields the last time the ID was in Perth......YUCK! And that was still with a million $ final. Sure, it may be more $$ this time round but who's to say the quality improves??
I don't have the answers to returning the ID to its glory days, but I'm not sure locking in a deal for 3 years with Perth where there's the possibility we watch 2nd rate FFA horses go round is the right track to go down.......or am I being 'glass half empty' again??

Messenger
07-18-2014, 05:09 PM
Hard to say Brent. How did Qld attract such good horses for mere $50k and $100k races?

G-Mac
07-18-2014, 05:37 PM
Great summary Glen.
I think your Sunday arvo idea is good but would that make the heat a bigger factor? How late can we hold an Inter? Would a late Mar final give a better chance of temperate weather?
It would be interesting to see stats on half mile Inter tracks and to compare them to 1200+ stats.

Cheers Kevin.
The heat will be a massive factor morning noon or night. I remember by 8pm on the Monday round of heats in 2012 it was still 35 degrees. If they are condidering a round of heats at Pinjarra they can't be concerned because Pinjarra doesn't have lights.

brent_L
07-18-2014, 05:41 PM
Hard to say Brent. How did Qld attract such good horses for mere $50k and $100k races?
Quinny, Chilli, Sauve Stuey & Mach Beauty........that's a far cry from comparing putting together 3-4 inter heats followed by an at least half respectable consolation.
Just a bit worried Kev. I don't want to see a consolation the likes of 2012 (with all due respect to their connections)
1 HAS THE ANSWERS
2 ROCKET REIGN NZ
3 SNEAKYN DOWN UNDER NZ
4 DASHER VC NZ
5 DAVID HERCULES
6 CROMAC JOHNNY NZ
7 WRONGLY ACCUSED
8 HESA BUZZIN
9 LIGHTNING RAIDER NZ

Chariots
07-18-2014, 06:46 PM
Brent obviously you are entitled to your opinion but to call a ID Final Yuk that included I'm Themightquinn, Smoken Up, Mr Feelgood and Auckland Reactor is extremely disrespectful.

Your reference to the Consolation is also disrespectful when you consider that those nine horses won $4.9m in stake money between them. By process of elimination through any series racing a few did get to not get to the Consolation and a few average horses did make it.

Would be interesting to hear if others thought the quality was "Yuk".

brent_L
07-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Read my post again Ray and don't put words in my mouth. "FIELDS", that's all heats +. The final of course was littered with stars.
If that's the quality of consolation your happy with, fine, that's your prerogative/opinion. I wouldn't watch nor would I record it.....and no, that's not disrespectful, it's a choice/opinion.

Chariots
07-18-2014, 07:33 PM
I will agree that the supporting program was nothing special although horses like Lombo Pocket Watch and I'm Victorious did compete.

A racing purist would also tell that the supporting races on Melbourne Cup Day are usually nothing special.

I also agree that if WA were to secure the inters they would have to put some effort into ensuring that there is depth in the program.

Sofoulis
07-18-2014, 08:28 PM
I love Gloucester Park, it is a very special place in Perth (I even had photos taken outside the gates on my wedding day!) but I have a massive conflict:

- I love being close to the action at GP, hearing the pounding of the track as the horses go past the finishing post on lap 1, 2 and 3 is fantastic - you feel part of it and it definitely is a differentiator.
BUT
- As an owner of a horse or two, I feel at the mercy of the barrier gods given the times being run and the amount of benefit certain draws present (unless I have the wonder horse: Quinny!)
and therefore, prefer my horses racing on the bigger tracks.

So, there is a catch-22
- Improve the track and make it like Menangle = owners are going to be happier to pay for horses to come over from NZ and east coast // but it reduces the spectacle...
OR
- Keep the track as it is = quality of fields may be lower but the spectacle is retained.

Maybe there is a middle ground - but I don't know what it is...

nowuseeme
07-18-2014, 09:46 PM
nothing wrong with the track down here at bunbury could do well to hold a set of heats

Messenger
07-18-2014, 10:13 PM
I love Gloucester Park, it is a very special place in Perth (I even had photos taken outside the gates on my wedding day!) but I have a massive conflict:

- I love being close to the action at GP, hearing the pounding of the track as the horses go past the finishing post on lap 1, 2 and 3 is fantastic - you feel part of it and it definitely is a differentiator.
BUT
- As an owner of a horse or two, I feel at the mercy of the barrier gods given the times being run and the amount of benefit certain draws present (unless I have the wonder horse: Quinny!)
and therefore, prefer my horses racing on the bigger tracks.

So, there is a catch-22
- Improve the track and make it like Menangle = owners are going to be happier to pay for horses to come over from NZ and east coast // but it reduces the spectacle...
OR
- Keep the track as it is = quality of fields may be lower but the spectacle is retained.

Maybe there is a middle ground - but I don't know what it is...

I must say I am anti big tracks because I want 'trotting not racing', I wonder if a 7 horse all front final is middle ground Adam

Mighty Atom
07-18-2014, 11:00 PM
Just went back and had a look at the quality of the fields the last time the ID was in Perth......YUCK! And that was still with a million $ final. Sure, it may be more $$ this time round but who's to say the quality improves??
I don't have the answers to returning the ID to its glory days, but I'm not sure locking in a deal for 3 years with Perth where there's the possibility we watch 2nd rate FFA horses go round is the right track to go down.......or am I being 'glass half empty' again??

Yeah it was really boring watching those second rate FFA horses go around even though a couple of them managed to finish second and third in the final.

Mighty Atom
07-18-2014, 11:14 PM
The Queensland carnival has attracted 4 quality horses and Chilli Palmer is not racing in their two big events so it's virtually three for the paltry sum of $160,000 the rest of the Queensland lineup wouldn't get a look in in WA FFA's i.e. Rakarebel. And I'm afraid with the exception of Avonnova and perhaps Forever Gold the rest of them are just going to be a hinderance to ITMQ with none of them capable of giving Quinny a lead up if the pace is fast.

Richard prior
07-18-2014, 11:20 PM
Agree Rod and we might see a changing of the guard before the Interdom goes to WA, David Hercules is certainly on the up and a few of the big boys are getting long in the tooth. 2016 is still a fair way off and it's anyone's guess which horses will still be running around and which horses will progress to open class racing. There's lots of nice 3yr old & 4yr old horses running around at the moment and I'm really looking forward to the WA Interdom, The big thing for me would be the timing, It can be extremely hot over in the west and maybe move in forward to late March or early April and as Danno and somebody else mentioned, Share the heats around at the different venues.

Mighty Atom
07-18-2014, 11:45 PM
Agree Rod and we might see a changing of the guard before the Interdom goes to WA, David Hercules is certainly on the up and a few of the big boys are getting long in the tooth. 2016 is still a fair way off and it's anyone's guess which horses will still be running around and which horses will progress to open class racing. There's lots of nice 3yr old & 4yr old horses running around at the moment and I'm really looking forward to the WA Interdom, The big thing for me would be the timing, It can be extremely hot over in the west and maybe move in forward to late March or early April and as Danno and somebody else mentioned, Share the heats around at the different venues.

Hi Rich, Good idea moving to late March or April and share the heats around mainly Pinjarra with a thousand metre track and Bunbury ( 960 metres) these being the two best surfaces although for a lot of trainers coming to W.A. the 177 k's or 2 hours drive would be a hell of a trip to go to the races.

Big K
07-19-2014, 12:13 AM
Yea Rod,no chance of a 1000mt track but included in the bid is a complete upgrade of the existing track.Also a sprint lane is a high probability though not garaunteed after a recent survey indicated punters wanted one,A few of the RWWA Exec's turn their nose up at it but its something thats on the table after the overwhelming response from punters.Also it was suggested that RWWA want to get on board with the government with tourism and promotion..also possibly tied in with it is a the proposal of a big gallops and dog race around the same time but might be only hear'say at the moment.Be fantastic if WA gets it anyway.

Big K
07-19-2014, 12:29 AM
Hi Rich, Good idea moving to late March or April and share the heats around mainly Pinjarra with a thousand metre track and Bunbury ( 960 metres) these being the two best surfaces although for a lot of trainers coming to W.A. the 177 k's or 2 hours drive would be a hell of a trip to go to the races.

Hey Rod,I mentioned a bit on the other thread.But from what I understand so far is that if WA get the Inter's that they(RWWA) a keen to run a set of heats at Pinjarra for the 1st series and also put lighting at that track.If all goes well that they would do the same at Bunbury the following year..come from some round the table discussions so nothing set in concrete.

Messenger
07-19-2014, 12:50 AM
TC any chance of merging this into the Interdom thread :confused:

Richard prior
07-19-2014, 01:18 AM
Hey Rod,I mentioned a bit on the other thread.But from what I understand so far is that if WA get the Inter's that they(RWWA) a keen to run a set of heats at Pinjarra for the 1st series and also put lighting at that track.If all goes well that they would do the same at Bunbury the following year..come from some round the table discussions so nothing set in concrete.

That sounds fantastic Kevin if it comes off.

teecee
07-19-2014, 02:10 PM
TC any chance of merging this into the Interdom thread :confused:
my thoughts exactly

HaroldParker
07-20-2014, 06:14 PM
I took a couple of flights to Perth in 2012 for the 3 Heats and Final and I had a fantastic time. It was a great series. It pains me to say it but the best racing in Australia is in WA. No track in Australia can match Gloucester Park for atmosphere and it's a very knowledgeable crowd.

I sincerely hope a Sprint Lane isn't in order. What a disaster that would be. Don't mess with it, make improvements sure but don't stick a cheats lane in.

Sunday final, no thanks to that as well. Harness Racing in a night sport, it's at its very best under lights. It just isn't the same during the day. I've been to the 2 Finals at Menangle and Gloucester Park before it. Chalk and Cheese.

Richard prior
07-20-2014, 06:41 PM
Saturday night final would be far better and then take off home the next day.

Messenger
07-20-2014, 07:50 PM
I agree with you guys about the appeal of a night final and to cater for an eastern states audience I guess 8pm would be early/late enough. (They do have daylight savings over there don't they?)

Mighty Atom
07-20-2014, 10:11 PM
I agree with you guys about the appeal of a night final and to cater for an eastern states audience I guess 8pm would be early/late enough. (They do have daylight savings over there don't they?)

No daylight savings in W.A. Kev.

HaroldParker
07-20-2014, 10:21 PM
Before Tabcorp took control of Harness Racing in NSW and VIC feature races were always on nearer 10pm.

WA should schedule an Interdominion for WA.

Richard prior
07-20-2014, 10:30 PM
Before Tabcorp took control of Harness Racing in NSW and VIC feature races were always on nearer 10pm.

WA should schedule an Interdominion for WA.
Totally agree Bob, Already got a few starters for a trip across.

Messenger
07-20-2014, 11:50 PM
No daylight savings in W.A. Kev.
Surely they can wangle that too Rod ;)
Cannot have it on at 8 over there and 11 over here

HaroldParker
07-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Do you turn into a pumpkin after 10pm Kevin ?

In 2012 (March 2nd) the ID Final was Race 7. I guess that would of been near midnight on the East Coast and the Kiwi's no longer support the Interdomion concept so forget them.

They should want to replicate that series, despite the naysayers. The build up to the final that night was electric. I've been to the Jug twice and quite a few Pace nights and Hambo days at the Meadowlands and all the big meets at Yonkers (I lived very close to Yonkers) and it bettered them.

The 3 x 4 Heats of 9 runners off the front and same for the final worked. The barrier draw is huge at Gloucester Park but by the final heats and then the final the draw was less of an issue. Look at the ID heats this year, all of them were dominated by the draw.

7 beat 5 and 2 in 2012. Can Return Fire at a 1000-1 ran 5th beaten 10m from 8. Mr Feelgood led from the pole and cracked likewise Auckland Reactor who got outside the leader cheaply.

Messenger
07-21-2014, 05:04 PM
It is turnover from casual punters and the chance to bring it to the public in the majority of Australia that I am thinking about Bob - it is astonishing how dead the pubs and TABs are after 10

I don't mind the pumpkin it is the expensive sulky it requires

Mighty Atom
07-21-2014, 11:24 PM
Surely they can wangle that too Rod ;)
Cannot have it on at 8 over there and 11 over here

Hi Kevin, apparently Gloucester Park officials have told HRNZ that an earlier time for the I.D. final will ensure and it will be on a Friday night if bid is successful with free air travel for horses from New Zealand and the east coast.

teecee
07-21-2014, 11:35 PM
http://www.hrnz.co.nz/news-and-events/latest-news/2523-wa-propose-return-to-original-format-for-inter-doms

Danno
07-22-2014, 01:05 AM
http://www.hrnz.co.nz/news-and-events/latest-news/2523-wa-propose-return-to-original-format-for-inter-doms

Note the caveat..."leading horses" ,as far as in know this has pretty much always been the case for top shelf competitors...........?

bbd
07-22-2014, 04:29 PM
http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=24042

Viv Strangman
07-22-2014, 04:54 PM
Word over here in Nz is the final will be worth $1,500,000. Hope it's right as we need the boost.

Mark Croatto
07-22-2014, 05:01 PM
http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=24042

Hmmm, I'd be opting for a late April early May Inter Dom series; gives the grand circuit horses a bit of a break, only a 2 hour time difference between West and East (rather than 3 hours with daily light saving) and surely it would have to be much cooler than Feb/March would ever be.

Regards

Mark

Danno
07-22-2014, 11:47 PM
Hmmm, I'd be opting for a late April early May Inter Dom series; gives the grand circuit horses a bit of a break, only a 2 hour time difference between West and East (rather than 3 hours with daily light saving) and surely it would have to be much cooler than Feb/March would ever be.

Regards

Mark

Like your thinking Mark,

far better than the head butting attitude that may appear to be coming from the NSWHRC.

As an aside, a mate rang me today telling me about about a horse he was having difficulties with,

pig headed and pig mouthed....... sounds like a horse I'd prefer not to work, but you would like to know who educated it wouldn't you?

Cheers,
Dan

Big K
09-05-2014, 03:26 PM
I believe an announcement is due around the 16th of this month regarding W.A's bid for hosting the Inter's after NSW.I also believe there is a strong chance that the series will be run in one of the latter months of the year before Christmas.But we will have to wait and see the "if what where and when" when its announced.

Cheers

Chariots
09-16-2014, 09:27 PM
WA today announced that Gloucester Park will host the Inter Dominions for three years commencing November 2015 with the final worth $1.3m making it the richest pacing race in the world. One set of heats to be run at Pinjarra and a return to the old format of three heats and a final.

Exciting times ahead for WA harness racing.

http://www.rwwa.com.au/home/the-richest-pacing-race-in-the-world-to-be-hosted-in-perth-21011.html

Hermione
09-17-2014, 07:33 AM
That picture is just what I wanted to finish off a class art project for Calf Club Day! Theme is story book, many many thanks :) :) :) Thanks messenger :)

aussiebreno
09-17-2014, 12:21 PM
WA today announced that Gloucester Park will host the Inter Dominions for three years commencing November 2015 with the final worth $1.3m making it the richest pacing race in the world. One set of heats to be run at Pinjarra and a return to the old format of three heats and a final.

Exciting times ahead for WA harness racing.

http://www.rwwa.com.au/home/the-richest-pacing-race-in-the-world-to-be-hosted-in-perth-21011.html
Final Dec 11.

What happens Miracle Mile, Cranbourne Cup, Vic Cup?

G-Mac
09-17-2014, 06:17 PM
Miracle Mile has been moved to March in place of the ID. The other two, I don't know.

Messenger
09-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Vic Cup is listed for Jan 31, the Cranbourne Cup for Dec 6. The Treur Memorial is also listed for Dec 6 so we will see TWO $100k Gp1 races on that day without a current Interdom finalist in the field. Hmm :confused:

Richard prior
09-17-2014, 09:06 PM
Crazy to have these 2 great races on the same day, Surely the Treuer could be run a couple of weeks later or even closer to the MM.

Messenger
09-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Vic Cup is listed for Jan 31, the Cranbourne Cup for Dec 6. The Treur Memorial is also listed for Dec 6 so we will see TWO $100k Gp1 races on that day without a current Interdom finalist in the field. Hmm :confused:

Stupid me was using 2014-15 dates when the Perth Inter does not happen until 2015-16 but the clashes are still relevant as the following harnesslink story reveals (I think they source their stories from our forum ;))

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/Inter-date-change-has-flow-on-affect