PDA

View Full Version : Coloured Horses

Messenger
07-18-2014, 02:39 PM
I saw this well named horse at Horsham on Wednesday and it would catch anyone's eye as its neck looks like that of an Appaloosa. I want to study how colouring is determined one day but for now does anyone have any idea how this breeding may have resulted in such interesting markings
http://www.harness.org.au/ausbreed/reports/pedigree.cfm?horse_id=575934

broco
07-18-2014, 11:41 PM
Nothing to do with its breeding it is just a somatic mutation (a one off and wont pass on to progeny) very flash, we had a die laughing x ollies magic filly with one that went from the inside of her knee round to her elbow and then completely covered her girth and right up to her wither, you often see them in grey arabs and they are refered to as a "bloody shoulder" as its exactly what it looks like on them red hairs on a white/grey coat and on a bay they are refered to as a "reverse bloody shoulder" as they are white hairs on a dark coat.
I prefer the pintos and dominant whites at least their colour can be passed onto their progeny but sadly rarely as well bred as this one, except in the case of the dominant white courage and art major colts but they are one in a million

Messenger
07-19-2014, 12:20 AM
Thank you Monique - very interesting. For any that would like to see dozens of examples of somatic mutation

http://www.pinterest.com/andalusians20/equine-color-somatic-mutation/

broco
07-19-2014, 12:36 AM
Im a wee bit nutty when it comes to colour genetics lol, love anything out of the ordinary but trying to breed well bred funky colours that can run is the big challenge

Messenger
07-19-2014, 12:54 AM
Im a wee bit nutty when it comes to colour genetics lol, love anything out of the ordinary but trying to breed well bred funky colours that can run is the big challenge

Same here Monique - I have actually spent most of the afternoon researching all of Miss M J Eden's in NZ. Pretending I will buy a skewbald to send to A Bit Of Bling.

Richard prior
07-19-2014, 01:08 AM
Thank you Monique - very interesting. For any that would like to see dozens of examples of somatic mutation

http://www.pinterest.com/andalusians20/equine-color-somatic-mutation/
Thanks very much for that Kev, Some real handsome horses amongst those, I promised my sister that I would buy her a coloured horse when she's ready and i think that I will be contacting Ms Parsons who also has a Bettor's filly that I would be quite interested in, But I would have to win the Lottery for that one lol.

Richard prior
07-19-2014, 01:12 AM
Would Apache Cat come into that category Monique??? He had a lot more white across his head than you would normally see. I watched a short Doco on Channel 9 about him and was absolutely gobsmacked when I saw him without blinkers.

broco
07-19-2014, 01:58 AM
Have a mach three and a christian cullen in foal to A bit of bling, hes a super big type for a skew, finding well conformed coloureds of good size is as hard as finding a fast one have sold most of mine only 3 left, just keeping the best few to breed to the best stallions and one nice yearling bgs folly colt that may get to keep his manly bits if he shapes up, the market for them is non existent unless you want to tell bull and dream up times they couldnt run down a well just to sell them, but I can have my bit of fun with them myself i dont have myself on with their ability though, the ladybird filly can run but its looney like her mum.
Apache cat is either just loud sabino or he may be a splash white but splash is not always so obvious in the thoroughbreds, I have his bay standardbred equivalent in a mare named "secretive lombo" she used to look awesome when racing, a case of saw her, had to have her, got her.

That bettors girl is going to breed me my first menangle winner as a breeder/owner/trainer/driver lol pipe dream but hey whats racing without dreamers haha

Richard prior
07-19-2014, 07:45 AM
Thanks Monique, I just find a real attraction to the coloured horses. Have no doubt that the Bettor's will get you your Menangle winner and several more, Super family.

broco
07-19-2014, 11:26 AM
I always say at least if they are not much good they still look great, sad reality it costs the same to feed a good one as it does a slow one.
I sure hope your right about the bettors

Messenger
07-26-2014, 10:47 PM
We should have been on him - one week later and he comes out and pays $15.50 tonight

broco
07-27-2014, 12:54 AM
a flash one for all to watch "ants in your pants" skewbald mcardle colt won a trial very easy in qld, looks to go alright might be a fast coloured one on watching the trial and a great name to go with it

Messenger
07-27-2014, 01:41 AM
Sure about the name Monique? I cannot find him on HRA

Gtrain
07-27-2014, 01:44 AM
Ants inhis pants

Messenger
07-27-2014, 01:50 AM
Thanks G. I tried a couple of combos but I would never have got that one. Wanted to check his ped.

Messenger
07-27-2014, 02:46 AM
a flash one for all to watch "ants in your pants" skewbald mcardle colt won a trial very easy in qld, looks to go alright might be a fast coloured one on watching the trial and a great name to go with it

I bet you would not have taken so long to breed from his skewbald dam Monique

broco
07-27-2014, 11:40 AM
She came from the same place as the stallion I used for a few years, just sat in paddocks and wasted after their breeder passed away, im not a fan of using the double line colours for breeding as you have the whole side of the page to improve but when you can send them to the top sires that this bloke can its a win/wim sitiation, also has an art major and mach three from memory

Messenger
07-27-2014, 01:27 PM
She came from the same place as the stallion I used for a few years, just sat in paddocks and wasted after their breeder passed away, im not a fan of using the double line colours for breeding as you have the whole side of the page to improve but when you can send them to the top sires that this bloke can its a win/wim sitiation, also has an art major and mach three from memory
Are you meaning 'Gal' not bloke, Monique and referring to Frilly Nickers?

broco
07-27-2014, 03:48 PM
Nope bloke as in the fellow breeding them, doing the best job of any on improving the coloureds

Messenger
07-27-2014, 04:03 PM
Gottya drift now :D

Must have Sunday morning hangover without having had a Saturday drink even - stupid of me to think a mare could 'send' herself to a stallion :rolleyes:

Messenger
07-27-2014, 07:25 PM

The Mach Three is from his dam Frilly Nickers ¾ sister Fancy Nickers
Ants Inhis Pants is even nicely line-bred with a 4x4 Niatross cross

Messenger
08-30-2014, 10:13 PM
http://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gas/wa/r/infohorsewahr/wsd01x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=RaceVideo&Arg=hrnzg-RacehdrID&Arg=205320

Have you been following this well named 'Culler Coded' Monique?
Looks a stunner and traces to the Gp1 winning skewbald mare Snowflake (1943)

TeeCee - any chance of changing the Title of this thread to COLOURED HORSES

Richard prior
08-31-2014, 10:25 PM
Had a look at the replay Kev, He's a stunning looking animal alright and also has a fair bit of ability.

Messenger
08-29-2017, 02:37 AM
Kyle, always on the lookout for clever ways to promote Warragul meets filed this story last week

http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=34596

Unfortunately he was scratched but we now have him in our black book so let's hope he makes it to the track
I think I am right in saying that none of his sire's or grandsire's have ever contested an actual race

I also hope he is cream as HRA lists him as bay
From the same season A Bit Of Bling has another named foal listed as a skewbald (Patchy Cat)
I can remember being excited enough to go to Horsham to see his ABOB's first start (see link below to watch)
As Broco pointed out in post 8, he was a big boy but unfortunately - not fast

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?rc=HSC17111405&ms=VIC#HSC17111405

Monique had a couple served by A Bit Of Bling, let us know how you are going Monique

KTQ
08-29-2017, 07:36 AM
There was a cream A Bit of Bling for sale on Facebook recently. Not sure if it sold

Messenger
08-29-2017, 12:41 PM
I forgot to add that Arctic Cat is trained out of Brighton (Victoria?) !

strong persuader
08-29-2017, 07:26 PM
Kyle, always on the lookout for clever ways to promote Warragul meets filed this story last week

http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=34596

Unfortunately he was scratched but we now have him in our black book so let's hope he makes it to the track
I think I am right in saying that none of his sire's or grandsire's have ever contested an actual race

I also hope he is cream as HRA lists him as bay
From the same season A Bit Of Bling has another named foal listed as a skewbald (Patchy Cat)

Arctic Cat is definately a cream or a roan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHzYUjAtnPA

Is a link to his trial at Cranbourne on 19/8/17

Messenger
08-29-2017, 10:17 PM
Much appreciated Phil. HRA might need to change that descriptor
He looks a lot like Dad, I hope he is not too chunky like Dad - I noticed the winner of that trial could only manage 7th at Warragul yesterday (in the race that Arctic Cat was scratched from)

Amlin
08-29-2017, 10:59 PM
I forgot to add that Arctic Cat is trained out of Brighton (Victoria?) !

Trained by Bradley Walters who was based in Tas (maybe at Brighton) but has relocated to Victoria (probably not to our Brighton though)!

Messenger
08-29-2017, 11:04 PM
It was hard to imagine Kyle LOL

broco
08-30-2017, 01:35 PM
Arctic cat is neither bay, cream nor roan he's a true buckskin, hra's colour desriptions are ridiculous.
Goes hand in hand with the hrnsw write up calling My Rona Gold the fastest roan in Australia when she's nothing near a roan she's a grey, hasn't even got a roan parent, totally different genetics and very different colours.

A Bit Of Bling is buckskin skewbald so his progeny can come out either of those or plain colours, he's not the chunky buckskin stallion he's actually well over 16hands athletic and very well proportioned, the chunky one stands in mildura and never raced, he's not a quarter of the type snow is.

My buckskin is the one on Facebook for sale, she's the last coloured on the place and once she's gone there will never be another one here

Messenger
08-30-2017, 03:10 PM
A bit sad to hear Monique. I saw ABOB at his first start at Horsham, maybe the colour fooled me but I remember him as being 'big boned'

broco
08-31-2017, 09:17 AM
Solid but no more big boned than the big art majors or modern art stock, think the white legs offer a bit of an illusion

Messenger
02-23-2020, 10:19 PM
Ernieson a 4yo first starter in R1 at Ballarat was definitely bred to be a Skewbald
BUT despite the dam Life Of Chiquita being one, as is sire Ernie Eldorado (this is the first of his 5 foals to race)
Ernieson is a bay

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=BA260220&s=WHISKEY%2520AND%2520RYE&f=1#BAC26022005

Showgrounds
02-24-2020, 12:45 AM
Good old Snowtime. Wherever a coloured horse pops up at the races he usually pops up in the pedigree.

Messenger
02-24-2020, 11:02 AM
HOLY COW

I just noticed that Ernie Eldorado his skewbald sire is in the same race

He is now a 9yo and has not raced since his 2yo season

Messenger
02-26-2020, 10:26 PM
They made 9 News

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/articles/skewbald-ernie-makes-news-with-a-bold-third-placing/

Dad Ernie El is only pony size while his son didn't seem too interested

Messenger
04-02-2020, 12:39 AM
Skewbald 4yo Holstein is having his first start at Shep next Monday

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=SP060420&s=HOLSTEIN&f=1#SPC06042005

thepacingman
04-02-2020, 09:50 AM
Going way, way back this. Karamea Snow, a piebald, ran in the 1972 Interdominion final at Albion Park. On the old 800 metre right-handed track. Drew the pole and galloped out losing all chance.

There were a number of piebald/skewbald Karamea horses in the 70's and 80's. IIRC, Cini's had a couple of them.

Showgrounds
04-02-2020, 10:50 PM
Going way, way back this. Karamea Snow, a piebald, ran in the 1972 Interdominion final at Albion Park. On the old 800 metre right-handed track. Drew the pole and galloped out losing all chance.

There were a number of piebald/skewbald Karamea horses in the 70's and 80's. IIRC, Cini's had a couple of them.

Karamea Snow was the true black and white piebald. His dam, Snowfall, was a full sister to the stallion Snow Time. Their dam Snowflake was a piebald Dillon Hall mare owned by Noel Simpson. Whenever you see a coloured horse at the racing do some pedigree research an you'll nearly always fun old Snowflake or her offspring lurking in the distant past.

thepacingman
04-03-2020, 07:53 AM
Karamea Snow was the true black and white piebald. His dam, Snowfall, was a full sister to the stallion Snow Time. Their dam Snowflake was a piebald Dillon Hall mare owned by Noel Simpson. Whenever you see a coloured horse at the racing do some pedigree research an you'll nearly always fun old Snowflake or her offspring lurking in the distant past.
Right on there. He was jet-black and whiter than white. His markings were just stunning. Sam Zammit had him.

Danno
04-03-2020, 11:43 AM
Snow Report was another that raced in the very late 70's and eighties.

Showgrounds
04-03-2020, 03:52 PM
Skewbald 4yo Holstein is having his first start at Shep next Monday

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=SP060420&s=HOLSTEIN&f=1#SPC06042005

Holstein is out of a mare by Flying Jaguar, a skewbald stallion who got his colour from his dam's site Damien Chief. Damien Chief was a son of Snow Time.

Snowflake's dominant blood keeps throwing coloured Standardbreds, even though you have to go back six generations in the pedigree to find her!

Messenger
04-06-2020, 06:14 PM
Holstein Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=SP060420#SPC06042005

Edit: Hopefully Mediatec will remember to put up the replays some time soon (it is 3½hrs since R1 but it still isn't up)

Messenger
04-06-2020, 07:55 PM
Replay is up now - he is a little horse

gutwagon
04-07-2020, 03:20 PM
Replay is up now - he is a little horse
TAB always has replays up much quicker than Harness.org !

Messenger
04-07-2020, 03:31 PM
Yes, but I can generally wait for harness.org's usual 30min lag and it saves me the rigmarole of logging into TAB

Messenger
04-29-2020, 03:21 PM
Holstein having his second start in the last at Shep 9.30 tonight

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=SP290420#SPC29042003

Messenger
09-23-2020, 01:57 AM
As far as I can tell, 2yo Skewbald Got The Looks having his first start in R1 at Stawell tomorrow
is the first sired by Flying Jaguar to make it to the races
That is a big deal when you consider that over the last 10yrs he has had 46 foals reach racing age

If Got The Looks takes after dad, I reckon I would be able to make him out from the nearby Hospital car park, with the naked eye
Click on Flying Jaguar's name in his breeding in the form guide (link below) to be taken to his HRA page which includes a pic

http://www.harness.org.au/form.cfm?mc=SW230920&rc=SWC23092007

Messenger
09-23-2020, 04:42 PM
We didn't really get a look at Got The Looks
He galloped soon after the start and was trailed off out of camera
I didn't seem much colour on him
and I think I may have seen bigger horses in a pony trot

Messenger
03-07-2021, 08:53 PM
First starter in the 2yo at Horsham tomorrow, Remi Magic would already be a bit of a disappointment to the Tindales
You only breed to a non performer like Ernie Eldorado (skewbald) in the hope of producing a skewbald but Remi is a bay
Ernie is listed as a gelding nowadays but he did produce 5 foals, the 2 that were skewbalds were never named
Ernieson (bay also) has made it to the races but is unplaced in a career of 10 starts so far

It would seem to be up to Remi Magic (and the last of Ernie's foals, only a yearling) to make Ernie Eldorado a success

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=HS080321#HSC08032107

Messenger
03-08-2021, 12:40 AM
Holy Cow Batman
I didn't realize Ernie Eldorado (see above post) is back racing and is in at Horsham too!
Before becoming a sire, he had 3 starts as a 2yo way back in 2012-13
He had 2 starts about this time last year and after another year off he is back tomorrow as a 10yo having his 6th start

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=HS080321#HSC08032105

Messenger
03-08-2021, 05:44 PM
On today's performance, it is hard to believe Ernie finished 3rd in a race last year

Messenger
03-09-2021, 02:20 PM
Remi Magic went very respectably for a 2yo first starter finishing 4/6 and I expect that she will one day find the right race and make Ernie the sire of a winner

Messenger
04-09-2021, 09:09 PM
I was looking at the first season sires table and I noticed a skewbald stallion (sire of 4 only) has had his most recent foal make it to the races in SA
What I found amazing is that his skewbald sire Flying Jaguar has sired 50 but as yet only 1 has made it to the races and now a 3yo was last beaten by a total of 270m in his two 2yo starts
Flying Jaguar has 2 weanlings and 2 yearlings still to come to try and improve this deplorable record
This good looking boy is responsible for some massive wastage

Showgrounds
04-09-2021, 09:54 PM
I was looking at the first season sires table and I noticed a skewbald stallion (sire of 4 only) has had his most recent foal make it to the races in SA
What I found amazing is that his skewbald sire Flying Jaguar has sired 50 but as yet only 1 has made it to the races and now a 3yo was last beaten by a total of 270m in his two 2yo starts
Flying Jaguar has 2 weanlings and 2 yearlings still to come to try and improve this deplorable record
This good looking boy is responsible for some massive wastage

They breed for pretty horse Kev, not performance. If the stallion had been acting of the mill bay it would have been gelded as a youngster!

Messenger
04-10-2021, 12:51 AM
But 50 Trevor - unbelievable

Showgrounds
04-10-2021, 01:29 AM
You have to wonder how many were broken and tried. A mate of mine stood a beautiful looking piebald stockhorse a few years ago and it covered a dozen mares in its first season. At $3,000 a pop! Just so somebody could grab about their pretty foal. Then again, there seems to be no shortage of people silly enough to stump up 7 or 8 grand for a French Bulldog pup!

The question is who would have bred a mare to the unraced Flying Jaguar had it been a plain old bay? It's maternal sire Damien Chief, a piebald, was also unraced. 23 live foals for zero starters was his contribution to the gene pool. That just reinforces my view about coloured horses. They are sometimes referred to as freaks of nature in standardbreds. The real freaks are ones that actually race and win!

Showgrounds
04-10-2021, 02:07 AM
Agree, but understandable as the people who breed coloured standardbreds do so as fanciers of equine art pieces in preference to racehorses. Check the paint horses in Flying Jaguars pedigree and you'll find even more damning statistics. His maternal dam sire Damien Chief was by the piebald Snowtime, which sired some handy horses and was son of good old Snowflake. Her once potent bloodlines that left smart horses in the '50s and '60s have been diluted to irrelevance to the breed.

In making this sweeping statement look no further than the unraced (surprise, surprise) Damien Chief's stud record. 28 live foals, zero starters. His grandson Flying Jaguar might be considered the high achiever of the family, at least he had ONE starter!

Breeding unraced mares to unraced stallions and repeating the dose for the subsequent generation then standing the resulting colt at stud does not sound like a recipe to get the successor to Bettors Delight. Especially when you are making your breeding decision based on colour.

Yes Kev, 1 starter from 50 foals is appalling on face value. But that figure is heavily skewed because the foals demonstrably are being bred primarily for appearance. You would think breeding a foal good enough to race would be well down the order of priorities for these breeders.

Messenger
05-19-2021, 12:07 PM
“Before I die I want to see a Skewbald win a major Group 1 race and this bloke has ticked all the right boxes so far."

http://www.harnesslink.com/International/A-man-with-a-coloured-dream

I would love to see it too but he doesn't look like a skewbald (maybe his right side?)

Messenger
01-28-2022, 12:35 PM
Lot 136 at the Melbourne APG is a Palomino!

https://harnesslink.com/australia/apg-to-unveil-palomino-in-a-world-first/

Here's hoping he is better than the one in the post above (yet to race) but I don't hold much hope as his Sire and Grandsire had no ability (I went to Horsham to see his first start)

He would be great for the sport

Showgrounds
01-28-2022, 02:03 PM
Fancy paying up for the APG for this thing when you could use the money as a down payment on the harbour bridge! Stats don't lie, the vendor would be better off copping 10 grand for it as a show horse.

Messenger
01-28-2022, 07:23 PM
I can remember a good horse that appeared all white but was probably a light grey that raced with distinction at the Showgrounds around about 1970.
I thought the name might have been Beechworth but a search says no such horse existed. I have a vague recollection that he also had a bit of a strange action in that he threw his near hind leg out.
Can anyone remember the name of the horse I am thinking of

Showgrounds
01-28-2022, 11:11 PM
A grey gelding from SA called Beechway but, for whatever reason, is not listed on the HRA website. Pretty sure he was by the great sire Sheffield Globe and both his hind legs swung like a pendulum. But he was a grey, not a palomino. I'll go through my old racebooks and find him. A safe bet he had Machine Again in his maternal pedigree to be a grey.

Showgrounds
01-28-2022, 11:34 PM
I found him, a 1966 grey gelding by Sheffield Globe from Beauty Point. Here is his pedigree:

https://www.harness.org.au/ausbreed/reports/pedigree/68099

I lost my bet about Machine Again being in his pedigree, the grey colour comes from his maternal 4th dam Blue Glen, who was born 100 years ago in NZ. Beachway was the second foal of the Good Report mare Beauty Point, the first being Kevin Brook's top trotter Beau Power which won an Australasian Trotters Championship when that grandiose title meant something.

Messenger
01-29-2022, 01:16 AM
Thanks so very, very much Trevor, for years I have never been able to find him - Beachway, I knew it was a compound word with a space but was thinking Bee
Now that I finally have a name, when I get back to the Gap, I will now be able to look up his performances in the Year Books
You described his hind leg action perfectly

Messenger
01-29-2022, 01:25 AM
I see Beauty Point only had 2 filly half sisters to Beachway and although one bred on, the line has now died out
I see the 2nd dam has a few descendants listed on ClassicFamilies so I will be researching her tomorrow.
Thanks again Trevor

https://classicfamilies.azurewebsites.net/CF/Descendants.aspx?HorseID=10015685

Messenger
01-29-2022, 04:41 PM
Beachway belongs to the N124 family (not particularly strong) which is called the Blue Glen family after the 1921 NZ grey mare of that name (we know her dam Sylvia was also grey) hence his colour

One of Blue Glen's foals was the 1945 roan filly Power Point (NZ born but not in their db ?) which was exported to Australia and is Beachway's 2nd dam
Blue Glen's other daughter Shady Glen bred on through her daughters Blue Cloud (in NZ db !) and Glen Grattan (not in NZ db ?) who were also exported to Australia
Which is why most of this New Zealand family is/was in Australia

A half bro of Beachway's was Beau Power who won the 1971 Gp1 Vic Australasian Trotting Championship (won by Maori Law last year)

Showgrounds
01-29-2022, 08:00 PM
In the late 1970's I was involved with an owner who bought a broodmare we sourced in NZ. A Lumber Dream mare, also named Blue Glen! A bay, not a grey.

Messenger
02-01-2022, 12:59 AM
When the AHRI facebook page highlighted the coming Melbourne Lot 136
A poster mentioned a 1940's horse Palomino Girl who raced (in NSW?) but when you search for her on HRA you wont find her listed as one of the two starters of her sire, Royals Last.
You will however see that she is listed as Cream
She had a few foals, 3 listed as Cream and one - Turbid (1952) definitely raced
There are also 2 full bro's of Turbid's listed as Chestnut

T. Pryor NSW is listed as Palomino Girls breeder

ClassicFamilies lists her as the foundation mare for family A2041

https://classicfamilies.azurewebsites.net/horsedetails.aspx?HorseID=10206095

If anybody knows anything at all about this mare, I would love to hear more

Adaptor
02-03-2022, 09:41 AM
The iron mare and Inter-dom champion Evicus was from a coloured mare.

Milky Way, the dam of Evicus and at least 5 Classic winners was from Watsons Cream mare.

Evicus
Date of Birth 1929 Sex F Born In AUS
Family A702 - Milky Way
Mile Rate 2:13.4 Earnings -
Classic Relations 5 Siblings, 0 Offspring
Notes Career: 364 34 - 50 - 42. Won 34 races (11 - Elphin (Tas); 6 - Elwick (Tas); 4 - Harold Park (NSW); 2 - Carrick (Tas), new Ascot (Vic), Mowbray (Tas), Richmond (NSW); 1 - Ashburton (NZ), Avoca (Tas), Deloraine (Tas), Ascot (Tas), Victoria Park (NSW)). Ran second to New Derby in two way time trial (race timed 2:02 3/4)

Watsons Creamy Mare
189- - A702 Untraced sire (Aust)

There's a story from Trove here:
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/37778011?searchTerm=milky%20way%20interdominion

Messenger
02-03-2022, 10:47 AM
Thanks Noel, you had me excited that I might find more for Milky Way had a couple of Cream fillies who then had a couple of Cream fillies but after that the milk ran out

Showgrounds
02-03-2022, 12:44 PM
Tasmanian family Kev. Prefer beer to milk.

Messenger
02-03-2022, 01:57 PM
Good one

Messenger
02-03-2022, 01:58 PM
Oh yes

Messenger
02-03-2022, 01:59 PM
It is clearly so

Messenger
02-13-2022, 12:25 AM
Thanks so very, very much Trevor, for years I have never been able to find him - Beachway, I knew it was a compound word with a space but was thinking Bee
Now that I finally have a name, when I get back to the Gap, I will now be able to look up his performances in the Year Books
You described his hind leg action perfectly

I am finally back home!

Beachway

3yo: debuted late in his 3yo year on July 28 at Bolivar SA and finished 12th of 14 in a 3yo Stand. His only start for the season
4yo: following on from his 3yo debut, 3 more SA starts in August and September - All LAST and that was all we saw of him as a 4yo. Of course we have no way of knowing if he was struggling or if it was manners
5yo: 1 only start in a TROT at Bolivar again on June 6 (1972) for last once more
6yo: 1 only start in a TROT at Gawler on March 20 for last once more
7yo: Back to pacing and he wins his first race at 7, misses out next start then wins 4 in a row. His season's record ends up, a very impressive 14-7-4-0. He did a couple of quick back ups winning at Mildura one time and 2nd there in the Northern Region Championship behind 5 times Showgrounds winner Aerogram. He had one start at the Showgrounds on November 17, 1974 finishing 2nd - I must have been there!
8yo: only 1 start in the last month of the season, finishing last at Globe Derby
9yo: 7 SA starts for 3 placings
10yo: 6 SA starts with the first a win at Globe Derby on a Saturday night
11yo: 8 starts all Saturday nights at Globe Derby with 1 win and 2 placings

The 1978 Year Book is the last that I have, so I don't know whether he raced as a 12yo

I find it incredible that he only raced at the Melbourne Showgrounds once (2nd) and yet left such an impression on me

Messenger
07-20-2022, 02:24 AM
I know she finished last of 6 in the 2yo maiden at Bendigo tonight
but Skewbald filly Shikoba on that time is capable of ending a run of 3 winless skewbald dams in her pedigree
She has already been the first to make it to the races
You have to go back to the 6th dam to find a bay mare who made it to the races (and she won)

It would be nice to see the dedicated fan of coloured horses - Kerrie Hymers, breed the first skewbald winner for this experiment started by the Fliedners of NSW

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=BN190722#BNC19072207

Showgrounds
07-20-2022, 02:46 AM
I know she finished last of 6 in the 2yo maiden at Bendigo tonight
but Skewbald filly Shikoba on that time is capable of ending a run of 3 winless skewbald dams in her pedigree
She has already been the first to make it to the races
You have to go back to the 6th dam to find a bay mare who made it to the races (and she won)

It would be nice to see the dedicated fan of coloured horses - Kerrie Hymers, breed the first skewbald winner for this experiment started by the Fliedners of NSW

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=BN190722#BNC19072207

Check out the pedigree of the filly's dam Calico Cat. Crosses of my old mate Snowtime, who you'll find in the pedigree of most coloured standardbreds, on both sides of her pedigree four generations back. Throw in the grey stallion Laag, you're almost assured of getting a splash of colour.

http://https://www.harness.org.au/ausbreed/reports/pedigree/591312

The mare has now had six foals, all fillies and all coloured. And all by American stallions but Shikoba the only won to race so far.

Messenger
07-23-2022, 10:30 PM
Here is a beauty
Airlie Beach = Cattlewash x Sweet Lilyfire

Edit: Having searched high and low for this foal, I now belatedly provide the link (Answer- she is from Ireland)

https://harnesslink.com/uk-ire/pinto-pacing-derby-takes-centre-stage-at-racetime/

Showgrounds
11-18-2022, 03:58 PM
A skewbald ran second in race 2 ar Albion Park today. Major Paint.

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=AP181122#APC18112212

His dam's sire is out of a Damien Chief mare. Damien Chief was by the great progenitor of coloured horses Snow Time.

Messenger
11-18-2022, 07:07 PM
Interesting Trev, I was thinking Shikoba might be our next skewbald winner but maybe it will be this fella

Messenger
01-12-2023, 06:03 PM
We missed it - from back on Nov 24

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=RE241122#REC24112211

Messenger
01-12-2023, 06:14 PM

Here's hoping he is better than the one in the post above (yet to race) but I don't hold much hope as his Sire and Grandsire had no ability (I went to Horsham to see his first start)

I am still waiting for this one to be named so that I can put him in my Blackbook
You have to hope he can do something, after all his colour only came from ¼ of his predigree and there is nothing wrong with the other ¾

Showgrounds
01-12-2023, 09:00 PM
I am still waiting for this one to be named so that I can put him in my Blackbook
You have to hope he can do something, after all his colour only came from ¼ of his predigree and there is nothing wrong with the other ¾

I reckon this would be a great purchase for any retired standardbred fancier. You could stay home all day long admiring their pretty horse without ever having to waste time taking it to the races. Just don't tell your financial adviser.

Personally, the only palaminos I give any notice to are those of the fortified wine variety.

Messenger
01-13-2023, 01:58 PM
First starter in the 2yo at Horsham tomorrow, Remi Magic would already be a bit of a disappointment to the Tindales
You only breed to a non performer like Ernie Eldorado (skewbald) in the hope of producing a skewbald but Remi is a bay
Ernie is listed as a gelding nowadays but he did produce 5 foals, the 2 that were skewbalds were never named
Ernieson (bay also) has made it to the races but is unplaced in a career of 10 starts so far

It would seem to be up to Remi Magic (and the last of Ernie's foals, only a yearling) to make Ernie Eldorado a success

Bay mare Remi is still yet to give Ernie Eldorado a winner but she has another chance today in R1 at Charlton

Have a look below at her first start on the 8th of March 2021
The 3 that beat her have since notched up 16 wins and 31 places while Remi has not been able to run a drum

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=HS080321#HSC08032107

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=CH130123#CHC13012305

Messenger
01-13-2023, 02:57 PM
On that performance Remi does not have the Magic to win a $7k race

Messenger
05-25-2023, 06:18 PM
Watching more 'trots' races nowadays
Loved the look of My High Peak
Doesn't a flaxen mane make a chestnut look flashy

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=CH250523#CHC25052308

Most unlucky by the way

KTQ
05-25-2023, 06:59 PM
Watching more 'trots' races nowadays
Loved the look of My High Peak
Doesn't a flaxen mane make a chestnut look flashy

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=CH250523#CHC25052308

Most unlucky by the way

flaxen manes followed closely by liver chestnuts *chef kissy fingers*

Messenger
05-25-2023, 07:55 PM
Best of All - Liver Chestnut with a Flaxen mane

Messenger
08-07-2023, 07:25 PM
Remi Magic went very respectably for a 2yo first starter finishing 4/6 and I expect that she will one day find the right race and make Ernie the sire of a winner

2yrs have passed and Remi (23 starts) is yet to make Ernie the sire of a winner

Messenger
08-07-2023, 07:38 PM

I wonder how White Lion is progressing?

Messenger
08-20-2023, 08:56 PM
I am thinking that 2yo first starter at Cobram tomorrow, Hurricane Ben, is already a disappointment
By an ordinary stallion out of a skewbald mare - he is a bay
But I reckon, I would be wrong. Peter Anderson - owner/trainer/driver is showing me up big time - getting out there and just doing it at 84

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=CO210823#COC21082307