PDA

View Full Version : No races and Abandoned meetings

Messenger
06-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Anyone know what caused the first at Maryborough today to be declared a No Race?

Messenger
06-06-2014, 02:04 AM
Last 3 races abandoned at Ballarat tonight - anyone know why. I will take a guess at Fog

Messenger
06-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Why didn't someone just tell me to look up the Stewards reports to find out why Echuca (not Maryborough) and Ballarat had races cancelled

Messenger
07-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Good luck today to our own NJC in the last two at Hamilton - he deserves a win. I should have been leaving about now but it is 8° at Hamilton right now and feels like 4° and the last time I went there in winter the heating was 2 bar radiators - yeah I'm a woose

Amlin
07-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Even Kiesey scratched his team and as we know those horses go everywhere!

Amlin
07-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Looks like they are off Kev - as well as races at The Bool and in SA. So that gives Victorian harness racing six races and 47 horses going around at Swan Hill tonight.

Messenger
07-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Looks like they are off Kev - as well as races at The Bool and in SA. So that gives Victorian harness racing six races and 47 horses going around at Swan Hill tonight.
I was just going to post to ask why race 1 was not on Sky. Any idea why they are off? It is cold but they have not had rain at all

Richard prior
07-10-2014, 04:11 PM
Maybe snowing by the sounds of it Kev lol.

Messenger
07-10-2014, 04:18 PM
Seems strange - maybe zip visibility (for Warrnambool I could imagine). Lucky I did not drag the missus down to Hammo - Would have had to have shopping :eek:

Still nothing but the fields up on HRV - that is nothing short of incompetence

Amlin
07-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Officially on Twitter (according to HRV) is due to state of the track, inclement weather and after both the HRV and club mobile could not gain traction. Decision made 20 minutes before the first.

Given there are no Victorian races on today, am sure they would have given it every possible chance turnover wise. Wonder if walk-up starts were thought of?

BTW, here is what happens when the mobile has a problem. I still also remember the day the mobile went off the outside of the track at Kilmore and disappeared down the bank!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCcJPqMpBi0

Messenger
07-10-2014, 04:32 PM
Officially on Twitter (according to HRV) is due to state of the track, inclement weather and after both the HRV and club mobile could not gain traction. Decision made 20 minutes before the first.

Given there are no Victorian races on today, am sure they would have given it every possible chance turnover wise. Wonder if walk-up starts were thought of?

BTW, here is what happens when the mobile has a problem. I still also remember the day the mobile went off the outside of the track at Kilmore and disappeared down the bank!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCcJPqMpBi0
Thanks Kyle, I find that amazing. Mt William up the road from me has had 67mm (2.5") for July so far while Hamilton has not even had an inch - 17mm (3/4")

teecee
07-10-2014, 06:52 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCcJPqMpBi0[/QUOTE]

Or This..
http://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gas/wa/r/infohorsewahr/wsd01x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=RaceVideo&Arg=hrnzg-RacehdrID&Arg=159892

aussiebreno
07-10-2014, 07:00 PM
I call and raise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2RgdQ1J3XQ

Amlin
07-10-2014, 08:36 PM
No mobile barrier dramas here but this is another one I have uploaded - a look back to the good (bad) old days of the trots in Victoria. Much has changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF9FjWy03OM

Njcstables
07-11-2014, 12:32 AM

Hi guys, very disappointing day to get 3 quarters of the way to Hamilton today to find out via a text message, half an hour after the fact, that the meeting was called off. Even more surprising given that the road in front of us had been dry all day! No idea why the track was so bad that they couldn't get the mobile on it but what is most disappointing was that it took the club and hrv so long to call the meeting off and the inept manner in which they communicated to trainers/drivers/owners.

Messenger
07-11-2014, 01:56 PM

Hi guys, very disappointing day to get 3 quarters of the way to Hamilton today to find out via a text message, half an hour after the fact, that the meeting was called off. Even more surprising given that the road in front of us had been dry all day! No idea why the track was so bad that they couldn't get the mobile on it but what is most disappointing was that it took the club and hrv so long to call the meeting off and the inept manner in which they communicated to trainers/drivers/owners.

Hi Nathan, I wonder whether the incredibly banked bends at Hamilton could prove a problem for a heavy vehicle like the mobile - there has got to be a lot of gravitational force pulling them down the track and if the surface is slippery they might have a problem. I doubt the mobile vehicle is 4w drive either. It would have to be the bends as I am sure any street car could drive up the straights after so little rain. Only thing I can think of when Hamilton has only had 3/4" of rain for the month (unless the track has had more than the weather station)

Amlin
07-11-2014, 02:51 PM
Track surface material does play a part too apparently. Unsure of what kind of material they use at Hamilton but traditionally the light material (used on tracks with night racing) can go to slop in wet weather, whereas the black or grey material (unable to be used on night tracks as it makes vision too dark for TV) is better in the wet.

Have seen many meets on the white material called off over the years as the track goes like mud. But have also seen a case at Bendigo last year where the mobile slid in testing in very wet weather, yet the track was regraded over and over, and replacement surface applied, then it drained beautifully. I think there is a lot to be said for how the track is pre-prepared before raceday and what condition it is in when race morning arrives.

Messenger
07-11-2014, 07:15 PM
Like the old Moonee Valley - Hamiliton, Warragul, Ararat, Melton are all listed as granitic sand (as are most tracks) while Stawell and Horsham are bluestone dust

ps Would love to hear from anyone connected to the track about how much rain they had had as the town had bugger all for the first 10 days of the mth

Njcstables
07-12-2014, 03:27 PM
Hi Nathan, I wonder whether the incredibly banked bends at Hamilton could prove a problem for a heavy vehicle like the mobile - there has got to be a lot of gravitational force pulling them down the track and if the surface is slippery they might have a problem. I doubt the mobile vehicle is 4w drive either. It would have to be the bends as I am sure any street car could drive up the straights after so little rain. Only thing I can think of when Hamilton has only had 3/4" of rain for the month (unless the track has had more than the weather station)

Hi Kev, the problem won't have been the bends but more that the mobile wouldn't have been able to get traction as it accelerated away from the field. The only possible reason I can think of, given the apparent lack of rain, is that the track had been top dresssed with new material in the days leading up to the meeting and any rain on it would have made it slippery. The issue I have is that the club would have (or at least should have) been aware that this was a possibility and made the call the day before the meeting. The meeting could then have been transferred to another track at least and dozens of owners, trainers and drivers wouldn't have wasted time and money filling vehicles and driving to the track only to find out 30 minutes before the first race that the track was no good!

Messenger
07-12-2014, 04:03 PM
That has to be it Nathan and you are so right about the club surely being in a position to make the call the day before so the meeting could have been transferred.

Amlin
07-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Tonight's Albury trots meeting has been postponed due to the state of the track and will now be run on Sunday night.

Messenger
07-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Another strangish one Kyle as they have had minimal rain since Wednesday