PDA

View Full Version : Border Hopping - Which State is the Stronger

Messenger
08-03-2014, 03:19 PM
With Bettor Sweet coming to Melton to notch his M0 after several tries at Menangle - does this mean that Melton is seen as an easier option. Otherwise why would you settle for a winners cheque that is $4,402 less (Melton $10,598 - Menangle $15,000)

Smoken
08-03-2014, 03:45 PM
That's an interesting question..

djgood
08-03-2014, 08:24 PM
I think racing in Victoria is harder the drivers are more pro active in making moves during races ensuring a steadier tempo during races while racing in NSW is more one dimensional someone goes to front gets easy qtr then sprints home and a horse like bettor sweet benefited from the tempo and race pattern at Melton than the one he usually gets at menangle

Messenger
08-03-2014, 09:45 PM
I know I am being lazy David but only looking at Melton and Menangle for this week, Victoria seems to be just as leader dominated and NSW does not seem to have too many cheap Q's

djgood
08-03-2014, 10:23 PM
2nd qtr at menangle in around 30 seconds for most races one in 31 that's pedestrian for a track like menangle and the class of horses

Messenger
08-04-2014, 01:27 AM
I suppose what I am getting at David is that I am not seeing any flash first halves at Melton either and the point of my OP was whether at least one stable saw Melton as an easier M0 option

eliteblood
08-04-2014, 09:58 AM
The answer would probably be revealed by looking at how often horses from Vic are conducting raids on Menangle and vice versa.
I don't follow the racing closely enough to have an opinion.

Frano1982
08-04-2014, 12:28 PM
The $1.30 favourite and subsequent winner of the M0 at Menangle on Saturday night beat Bettor Sweet 51.1 meters a month or so ago???
I'm tipping that's got alot to do with it!!!

Messenger
08-04-2014, 01:22 PM
The answer would probably be revealed by looking at how often horses from Vic are conducting raids on Menangle and vice versa.
I don't follow the racing closely enough to have an opinion.
I reckon that should give the answer Trevor but I think it is complicated by the huge difference in M0 prizemoney but maybe that complication gives us the answer.
You would think that many Vic owner/trainers would be lured by the extra $4k+ at Menangle but I don't think they have been because Menangle is tougher to win. Then again how much of the $4k+ gets eaten up border hopping
I don't whether a lack of NSW horses heading South is an indication of Vic being just as tough or that after expenses a win is going to be $5k skinnier than a NSW M0 win

brent_L
08-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Not sure if it plays a role at all, but horses having their first start at Menangle have an abismal record.