PDA

View Full Version : Sick of Lite Fines

jackthepunter
08-18-2014, 06:41 PM
Gavin Lang, driver of Blitzthemcalder pleaded guilty to a charge under Rule 168(1) for improper driving, the particulars being that whilst completing the preliminary, Mr Lang removed his left foot from the sulky footrest and placed it in the vicinity of the horse’s near hind leg and made contact on two occasions. Mr Lang was fined $250. In assessing penalty Stewards considered Mr Lang’s guilty plea, forthright evidence and the circumstances of this matter.

Messenger
08-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Educate me folks - why would he do it?
Light fine would no doubt be due to it being while completing the preliminary

brent_L
08-18-2014, 10:14 PM
I need educating as well please. I'm intrigued.

Novo
08-18-2014, 10:34 PM
"Hocking" refers to making contact with the horses hocks or rear leg/feet with your boot to get the most out of them/rev them up etc. and is illegal,

doing it in the prelim, maybe as he came into the straight and 'clicked' him up to give the signal so the horse remembers for when he does it in the race ??

As far as doing this with a trotter it beats me as you would think they would be inclined to gallop??

Messenger
08-18-2014, 10:43 PM
Quoting Keith: As far as doing this with a trotter it beats me as you would think they would be inclined to gallop??

That was what really had me wondering too

Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild
08-18-2014, 11:14 PM
Gav has a long history of doing it. Particularly in big races. Personally I dont see the big deal in it. Its not as if hes whipping them to death. But. Rules are rules.

Chariots
08-19-2014, 12:33 AM
Can be used to remind the horse of a non race day workout so absolutely no place for it whatsoever.

jackthepunter
08-19-2014, 01:42 AM
The main reason he would have been doing it in the prelim is to firer the horse up and get him on the bit in the hope he would leave the gate quicker. The reason drivers do it during a race is like a scare tactie, try and get them some where their not use to in the hope it will give them a fright and they will find something. Gavin and others have been doing it for years. Which is why I said sick of lite fines.

Messenger
08-19-2014, 01:43 AM
Ray, you and Jack know some horror stories. I always think of Gav as a horse-lover not an abuser (not saying that you are saying otherwise)

Messenger
08-19-2014, 02:36 AM
What is really weird is that you have quoted me and yet my post has an 'o' in horse-lover and yet the quote does not :eek:

Richard prior
08-19-2014, 08:14 AM
Hey Guys, Barbara Scott appears to be doing a good job in SA going on the latest stewards reports.

Smoken
08-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Hey Jack, be careful what you type on here, as you might cop a suspension or an outright ban. I speak from experience :p :)

jackthepunter
08-19-2014, 12:07 PM
Hey Jack, be careful what you type on here, as you might cop a suspension or an outright ban. I speak from experience :p :)
well everyone knows it true

Messenger
08-19-2014, 12:19 PM
It would be good if you could find a couple of races from this season to support this Jack

Smoken
08-19-2014, 12:34 PM
I hear ya, but it can get you in strife on here..

jackthepunter
08-19-2014, 01:46 PM
It would be good if you could find a couple of races from this season to support this Jack kev their that good at it and been doing it for so long its like watching a magician pull a rabit out of a hat. The only time u can trust them is in the group ones,caus everyone loves the glory

Messenger
08-19-2014, 02:34 PM
I hear ya, but it can get you in strife on here..
You have to support your comments with some facts - Jack isn't and maybe that is because he cannot be bothered doing the research or because there are no facts.

Messenger
08-19-2014, 02:38 PM
kev their that good at it and been doing it for so long its like watching a magician pull a rabit out of a hat. The only time u can trust them is in the group ones,caus everyone loves the glory

The next time you see Gav perform a magic show I expect you to Post the race details on here Jack - deal?
We will see how many you post in the next year - maybe that thread 'How to Destroy a Horses chances' would be the spot

jackthepunter
08-19-2014, 05:25 PM
You have to support your comments with some facts - Jack isn't and maybe that is because he cannot be bothered doing the research or because there are no facts.
Theirs 30 years of research theirs not enough pages to post them all

Triple V
08-19-2014, 06:40 PM
Like so many other poorly thought out edicts that Industry Participants must labour under...the ridiculous and ultimately abortive attempt by HRA to restrict the use of various bits/associated pieces of equipment being a classic example...rules such as this come to pass as a result of the 'idle hands do the Devil's work' efforts of non-horsemen and associated Industry funded desk pilots.
It is a FACT that a Driver can get infinitely more of an effort from a horse by way of brushing its Hocks or banging the wheel disks etc than they ever could from using a whip on them.
Horses respond to the surge of adrenaline produced by an unexpected brush of its hocks or a loud noise much much more than they'll ever respond to pain ...BUT whipping is Ok while brushing and banging wheel disks is not. Absurd.
To fine a driver for dropping a foot and brushing a horse in a race is a stretch for mine. To do so for brushing them in the prelim is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. All Gavin was doing was pre-racing a horse with its own Adrenaline and there is no rule against that...although now that I have said it no doubt some dickhead somewhere has been given the idea to try it on.
Before anyone jumps on the animal welfare train...brushing their hocks does not hurt them one bit.

Triple V
08-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Hey Guys, Barbara Scott appears to be doing a good job in SA going on the latest stewards reports.

VVV-If that doesn't bring The Voice Of Reason out of self imposed exile...nothing will.
I know that he's no longer in Fat Siu Lau's having the Roast Pigeon for dinner. Come on VOR. Where for art thou? :rolleyes:

Thevoiceofreason
08-19-2014, 08:51 PM

As has been mentioned in other posts.. some "FACTS" please, post some facts as the Ms Scott's wonderful deeds ... I am not knocking anything she has done.... just trying to find anything of note she has done.

HaroldParker
08-19-2014, 09:34 PM
He revved the horse up in the Prelim so he could drive it like he was trying to steal it a few minutes later.

Messenger
08-19-2014, 09:43 PM
I am still recovering so pardon me if it is obvious but what do you mean Bob?

HaroldParker
08-19-2014, 10:01 PM
I am still recovering so pardon me if it is obvious but what do you mean Bob?

Both the horse and drivers are equally overrated : )

He attempted the nurse it around and got outgunned in a furlong dash up the straight. Hence trying to steal it rather than win it.

HaroldParker
08-19-2014, 10:09 PM
I was OS for work last week and just caught up on the replays from Sat and Sun. How about Gav's drive on Eye Like Candy in the 4yo Mares Semi. Clearly driven dead to avoid Frith and race for crumbs in the consolation "5 Pegs" but it was fourth Fav. Not a peep from the Stewards. It deserved time.

Richard prior
08-19-2014, 11:09 PM
As has been mentioned in other posts.. some "FACTS" please, post some facts as the Ms Scott's wonderful deeds ... I am not knocking anything she has done.... just trying to find anything of note she has done.

Hope I haven't ruffled any feathers but have a look at the stewards wrap, There's a couple of cases from SA that have been judged but the fines are a bit light IMHO.

Messenger
08-20-2014, 01:21 AM
I was OS for work last week and just caught up on the replays from Sat and Sun. How about Gav's drive on Eye Like Candy in the 4yo Mares Semi. Clearly driven dead to avoid Frith and race for crumbs in the consolation "5 Pegs" but it was fourth Fav. Not a peep from the Stewards. It deserved time.
http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX170814&ms=vic#MXC17081402
It certainly should have raised eyebrows
ps Jack - this is the sort of facts you were supposed to be finding for me ;)

Messenger
08-20-2014, 01:40 AM
Ummm - she is not in the Consolation
Or do you think he was trying for 8th not 9th?