PDA

View Full Version : Poor Judgement and no action

p plater
09-23-2014, 01:17 PM
I have waited until the stewards report was released before posting here.

My concern is when is a driver held responsible for poor judgement in the stewards eyes.
Most punters and harness followers would know that Reservation Road in the 2nd last at Menangle on Saturday night was either a superstar or had no chance after a 25.8 first quarter. This is after in the previous race the same driver drive Suave Stuey Lombo in an outstanding 1.50.1 with a lead time of 26.9.
The stewards report is gutless, it reads

"When questioned regarding the performance of RESERVATION ROAD NZ driver L Panella explained that although she had to make use of the gelding in the first quarter t find the lead she was able to rate a slow middle half of the mile. L Panella stated that connections were disappointed that RESERVATION ROAD did not finish the race off and would assess how the gelding recovers prior to deciding its immediate program."

The Connections were disappointed what an understatement and the stewards accepted this!!!

In the same race a driver was fined $400 for excessive whip....go figure

Messenger
09-23-2014, 01:55 PM
I wonder if she has any idea of how fast she is going?
And if the stewards asked her "what did you think you ran that first Q in?"
If she said about 26 she probably should have received some sort of fine/penalty
She had already had a FFAller capitulate in the first after going a first Q of 26.6
So it added up that going any faster in an M0 was not good judgement

Race For Fun
09-23-2014, 02:22 PM
What's the difference in driving an ill-judged race:
Not pulling out and putting a horse into the race?
Going too fast early in early quarters, horse doesn't run on?
Both fail to give a horse every chance to win.

p plater
09-23-2014, 03:47 PM
What's the difference in driving an ill-judged race:
Not pulling out and putting a horse into the race?
Going too fast early in early quarters, horse doesn't run on?
Both fail to give a horse every chance to win.

That's how I see it as well. Obviously the stewards don't.

Triple V
09-23-2014, 07:11 PM

My concern is when is a driver held responsible for poor judgement in the stewards eyes.
Most punters and harness followers would know that Reservation Road in the 2nd last at Menangle on Saturday night was either a superstar or had no chance after a 25.8 first quarter. This is after in the previous race the same driver drive Suave Stuey Lombo in an outstanding 1.50.1 with a lead time of 26.9.

"When questioned regarding the performance of RESERVATION ROAD NZ driver L Panella explained that although she had to make use of the gelding in the first quarter t find the lead she was able to rate a slow middle half of the mile. L Panella stated that connections were disappointed that RESERVATION ROAD did not finish the race off and would assess how the gelding recovers prior to deciding its immediate program."

The Connections were disappointed what an understatement and the stewards accepted this!!!

VVV- I've watched a lot of races over a lot of years and right now, off the top of my head I cannot think of so much as A SINGLE HORSE, be it Southern Hemisphere or Northern Hemisphere, that made it to the 1/4 in 25.8 (25 & 4/5ths) on the lead and lived to tell the story.

p plater
09-23-2014, 08:03 PM
VVV, the great Smoken Up went 25.7 on the way to his 1.48.5 at Menangle.

Messenger
09-23-2014, 10:24 PM

Is he one of yours Adam - Trots TV is not as clear as it used to be and I could not tell if they were the monkey colours

Lauren did not hammer in all of them but she led in all of the first 7 races.
She won 2 and got 1 second but finished last or 2nd last in the other 4

Race For Fun
09-23-2014, 10:35 PM
VVV, the great Smoken Up went 25.7 on the way to his 1.48.5 at Menangle.

If a horse the quality of Smoken Up is capable of running 25.7 for the first quarter and going on to win a group 1 race against some of the best horses racing at the time then it may be safe to assume that a horse the class of Reservation Road was always going to struggle to stay competitive running such a fast first quarter. Drivers have to know the ability of the horse they are driving.

Greg Hando
09-23-2014, 11:18 PM
The girl cannot judge pace at all period.

Sofoulis
09-24-2014, 02:41 AM
Hi Kevin.

Reservation Road isn't one of mine, no. Lauren did drive and lead on one of mine... it ran 2nd (the horse that was mentioned in a previous thread where a share is held by some first time owners arising out of a charity quiz night).

The girl that "cannot judge pace at all":
- 160 metro drives for 49 winners and 103 in the top 4...
- 417 drives in NSW for 147 winners and 290 in the top 4...
Leading driver in NSW at the moment...

I don't think you are insulting her, but you are insulting every other driver that is competing with her...... fancy not being able to judge pace but still being so competitive against her peers...

I'm not defending the drive on Reservation Road because if I was the connection, i may have been disappointed in the drive... but this is one drive against a very good strike rate. I will continue to ask Lauren to drive my horses because I see through the occassional disappointing drive to the majority of very very good drives...

p plater
09-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Adam, the stats you mention in your post is the reason for my post. With such experience plus the fact she works this horse in trackwork, she must know its ability. Either she has a high opinion of Reservation Road or she is a poor judge of pace. That horse was not given every chance to win.

Messenger
09-24-2014, 12:44 PM
Hi Kevin.

Reservation Road isn't one of mine, no. Lauren did drive and lead on one of mine... it ran 2nd (the horse that was mentioned in a previous thread where a share is held by some first time owners arising out of a charity quiz night).

The girl that "cannot judge pace at all":
- 160 metro drives for 49 winners and 103 in the top 4...
- 417 drives in NSW for 147 winners and 290 in the top 4...
Leading driver in NSW at the moment...

I don't think you are insulting her, but you are insulting every other driver that is competing with her...... fancy not being able to judge pace but still being so competitive against her peers...

I'm not defending the drive on Reservation Road because if I was the connection, i may have been disappointed in the drive... but this is one drive against a very good strike rate. I will continue to ask Lauren to drive my horses because I see through the occassional disappointing drive to the majority of very very good drives...

Adam as you probably know, from being a follower of this forum, I do not really follow NSW and do not know how good a judge of pace Lauren is but I think the Q's I asked in the 2nd post of this thread are relevant.
If she thought she had gone sub 26 then she deserved a penalty. Only the track record holder, Smoken Up, has been able to do what she asked Reservation Road to do - in an M0

Sofoulis
09-24-2014, 01:11 PM
I will put this to you both: If the plan is for the horse to go forward because its only chance of winning is to lead (consistent with the change of tactics notified), and it is made to work extremely hard for that lead....... she would have had two choices:
1. Restrain the horse and therefore forgo any chance of winning within the first 200metres
2. Continue to work to the front, try back off and steal a couple of quarters so the horse still has something in the tank for the run home

Under option 2 the horse is still given the most chance of winning out of the two scenarios given the circumstances. She cannot be blamed / penalised for circumstances that are outside of her control.

In my view, the result of this drive should not be a generalised comment that she cannot judge pace.......because, like has been said many times on this site already, her preferred driving style is to lead, where she dictates the pace........ and she has extremely good results by doing this. If you don't like this one drive because of circumstances, so be it... but also, let's talk about her drive on SSL that enabled that horse to beat (whilst in front) Beautide (acknowledge this was mentioned in an earlier post) or the many drives she has had on my horses that only won because of her drive rather than the horse's raw ability...

In short, the stewards were satisfied, the trainer is satisfied, the connections will show their satisfaction (or otherwise) when they choose to put her on RR next or not........ and all of these people are closer to the horse and tactics than any of us on this site.

BenScadden
09-24-2014, 02:54 PM
I'm not a really closer follower of NSW harness racing - but I probably still watch 10 Menangle races a week.

Horses do seem to run for Lauren, no doubt. She reminds me a bit of Kerryn Manning when Peter was dominating in Victoria some years back ... handlebars down and survival of the fittest. It doesn't seem there's often a Plan B for Lauren, though.

I still struggle to reconcile her drive in the ID grand final when she destroyed the career of Im Victorious, so I probably judge her tougher than most.

Messenger
09-24-2014, 03:46 PM
I will put this to you both: If the plan is for the horse to go forward because its only chance of winning is to lead (consistent with the change of tactics notified), and it is made to work extremely hard for that lead....... she would have had two choices:
1. Restrain the horse and therefore forgo any chance of winning within the first 200metres
2. Continue to work to the front, try back off and steal a couple of quarters so the horse still has something in the tank for the run home

Under option 2 the horse is still given the most chance of winning out of the two scenarios given the circumstances. She cannot be blamed / penalised for circumstances that are outside of her control.

In my view, the result of this drive should not be a generalised comment that she cannot judge pace.......because, like has been said many times on this site already, her preferred driving style is to lead, where she dictates the pace........ and she has extremely good results by doing this. If you don't like this one drive because of circumstances, so be it... but also, let's talk about her drive on SSL that enabled that horse to beat (whilst in front) Beautide (acknowledge this was mentioned in an earlier post) or the many drives she has had on my horses that only won because of her drive rather than the horse's raw ability...

In short, the stewards were satisfied, the trainer is satisfied, the connections will show their satisfaction (or otherwise) when they choose to put her on RR next or not........ and all of these people are closer to the horse and tactics than any of us on this site.

You make a massive assumption there Adam. That the horse's ONLY chance of winning is to lead.
You must also recognize that there is a limit to what you can do in the first Q of a race no matter how easy you run the 2nd and 3rd Q's.
As a fair athlete in my day a couple of times I experienced what can happen if you go too hard too early

With a preferred driving style of leading, I think she and you should be thanking the trainer first and foremost and be grateful for the all front and long straights of Menangle. There would not be many drivers who would not prefer to be in front but the Tritton horses seem to have the engine to lead more than most - I think there are several drivers in Vic that could keep Tritton's strike rate intact if Lauren was not available.
I did not intend it to sound like I do not think she can judge pace but I would like to know if the stewards determined that she knew on this occasion what an impossible task she set this M0 horse

In short the stewards were not entirely satisfied or else they would not question Lauren, the trainer is her partner and is not going to say anything different and as you said the connections we do not know but are unlikely to sack their trainers choice over one drive.

This thread was started by Bailey who was disappointed with the stewards lack of action. Are you saying that we should never question the stewards?
As for whether who is closest to the horse is the best judge - no doubt that is sometimes true.
On a forum where we enjoy tossing around opinions they are most definitely NOT the be all and end all.

Race For Fun
09-24-2014, 04:08 PM
I still struggle to reconcile her drive in the ID grand final when she destroyed the career of Im Victorious, so I probably judge her tougher than most.

I know that this wasn't Lauren's finest hour, but in all fairness she did her time (not trying to reduce the impact on the horse and connections at all, tragic). I am sure that if she could change things she would, but no one can. Ben I think I understand what you mean (it's the first thing you think of when name mentioned) but we have to be careful not to hold that against her forever.

I think the first quarter of Reservation Road race cost him any chance, maybe we need to consider the driving instructions given to the driver (were they reasonable) and at some stage in a race the driver has to be able to do what is in the best interests of the horse (was that done).

allanjg
09-24-2014, 04:13 PM
very well put kevin...

Sofoulis
09-24-2014, 04:19 PM
Definitely agree with the opinions piece Kevin and I agree with questioning the decisions of stewards and the drives where necessary.

Two opinions:
1. She can judge pace... demonstrated through results.
2. I don't believe this drive was worthy of any penalty... victim of tactics that weren't right for the way the race panned out... (just like the other drivers that lost the race!)

BenScadden
09-24-2014, 04:29 PM

I know that this wasn't Lauren's finest hour, but in all fairness she did her time (not trying to reduce the impact on the horse and connections at all, tragic). I am sure that if she could change things she would, but no one can. Ben I think I understand what you mean (it's the first thing you think of when name mentioned) but we have to be careful not to hold that against her forever.

Hi Toni,

Yes, unfortunately that ID drive is something that has stuck with me. I have no connection to the Im Victorious camp but, to me, there's nothing worse than a horse being harmed by a drivers' lack of respect. I'd expect Lauren is full of remorse for the incident. Do I think she's a good driver? Not particularly. But there are many worse, in my opinion. Do horses run for her? Absolutely. Having said that, I'd never let her take the reins on a horse I owned (which wouldn't be a big deal for her as she's already driven many horses much more talented than any I've ever owned) :)

Messenger
09-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Definitely agree with the opinions piece Kevin and I agree with questioning the decisions of stewards and the drives where necessary.

Two opinions:
1. She can judge pace... demonstrated through results.
2. I don't believe this drive was worthy of any penalty... victim of tactics that weren't right for the way the race panned out... (just like the other drivers that lost the race!)
You're probably right Adam :D

p plater
09-25-2014, 01:43 AM
I wonder if there will be a COT this week? Reservation Road drawn wide again and change of driver. But going forward was best chance of winning last week. Maybe it was the drivers best chance of winning.

HaroldParker
09-25-2014, 03:39 AM
VVV- I've watched a lot of races over a lot of years and right now, off the top of my head I cannot think of so much as A SINGLE HORSE, be it Southern Hemisphere or Northern Hemisphere, that made it to the 1/4 in 25.8 (25 & 4/5ths) on the lead and lived to tell the story.

by Northern Hemisphere, you mean QLD ? : )

Sub 26 in the US and Canada is very common and many do live to tell the story.

I have no problem with the drive. Heza Presidente (sub 26 as well ?) and Heres Rommel went with her early and finished 2nd and 3rd. They went out with a plan, made it public, executed that plan and it failed.

The horses these guys are bringing to Menangle are breaking the clock (trialling and racing) around Newcastle. They're rock hard fit and they drive them accordingly. They make racing at Menangle far more interesting.

24 years ago Westburn Grant and Thorate carved out a 26.2 around Harold Park. What would that equate to, 24 years later around Menangle ?

Messenger
09-25-2014, 12:14 PM
Watching it again it did not look that bad but as far as plans go, a bit of flexibility never hurt (unless you are playing bully and maybe that is the real reason for making it public?). Of course 2nd and 3rd had more right to finish off after taking sits

p plater
09-25-2014, 01:39 PM
by Northern Hemisphere, you mean QLD ? : )

Sub 26 in the US and Canada is very common and many do live to tell the story.

I have no problem with the drive. Heza Presidente (sub 26 as well ?) and Heres Rommel went with her early and finished 2nd and 3rd. They went out with a plan, made it public, executed that plan and it failed.

The horses these guys are bringing to Harold Park are breaking the clock (trialling and racing) around Newcastle. They're rock hard fit and they drive them accordingly. They make racing at Menangle far more interesting.

24 years ago Westburn Grant and Thorate carved out a 26.2 around Harold Park. What would that equate to, 24 years later around Menangle ?

Sub 26 is common in US and Canada as you say, so is sub 1.49 but only one horse has achieved that in our part of the world.

Race For Fun
09-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Sub 26 is common in US and Canada as you say, so is sub 1.49 but only one horse has achieved that in our part of the world.

And if your not there at the finish what's the point in being first out if your last home, because that's the money part of any race.

AllAboutArt
09-25-2014, 06:15 PM
The girl cannot judge pace at all period.
true

only good in front

in saying that she drive my horse once for one win 27.9,29.7,28.6,29.6 in front @ Newcastle

HaroldParker
09-25-2014, 07:43 PM
Horses travel for her. I think she's an exceptional talent and it was on display well before she hooked up with Shane Tritton when freelancing for numerous trainers. She's not doing a lot of driving away from Tritton at present which is surprising.

Mighty Atom
09-25-2014, 11:18 PM
When L Panella lines up on the front of any track she has only one strategy and that is to get to the lead in the quickest time possible. In the case of Shane Tritton's horses she is usually driving the superior horse in the race and the majority all capable of running fast sectionals making it look a lot easier than her exceptional talent suggests. When driving back in the field she is reduced to mediocrity.

Novo
09-26-2014, 11:59 PM
When L Panella lines up on the front of any track she has only one strategy and that is to get to the lead in the quickest time possible. In the case of Shane Tritton's horses she is usually driving the superior horse in the race and the majority all capable of running fast sectionals making it look a lot easier than her exceptional talent suggests. When driving back in the field she is reduced to mediocrity.

Hit's the nail square on the head.

HaroldParker
09-29-2014, 01:32 AM
There's a lot more going on with her tactics than you guys give her credit for. She's one of the few drivers you watch and know for sure that she's done her form.

It was on display again last night.

p plater
10-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Lets see what the stewards report delivers after the last at Menangle today. Same players, different horse " My Mustang" a C4, even money favorite.....lead time 25.7 finishes 5th.

Messenger
10-07-2014, 11:45 PM
Lets see what the stewards report delivers after the last at Menangle today. Same players, different horse " My Mustang" a C4, even money favorite.....lead time 25.7 finishes 5th.
What would the stewards be querying about the run?
Fantastic effort to only puncture in the last 50m after running that time for the first Q
Stood down pending a vets cert?!

p plater
10-08-2014, 12:12 AM
Kevin, you don't think such a fast lead time for a horse of that grade would have some effect on the result of the race.
Maybe (1) Gas the horse
(2) Not allow it to finish in the best possible position, it was even money favorite
or (3) More judgement of pace shown by the driver.
Punters will soon leave if their tickets are confetti in a first quarter suicide

The Form Student
10-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Lauren, is the "best thing" to happen to Harness Racing in a long time! Every time she goes out, you know exactly what you are going to get.....the tank will normally be almost empty. What more could you ask for???
The race in question, it was just one where circumstances did not play her way, she was just unable to clear them quickly enough out of the gate, and also Heza Presidente & Heres Rommell were under her horse, sorting out who was going to get behind her in the run. It just took longer to get the front, and hence the fast 1st Q.
Next you back off the speed, but you need to be careful or you may run fowl of the stewards for too slow a sectional and get a fine!
If she drew inside them, the 1st quarter more than likely would have been much slower, as she holds the lead in 50 metres.
This race also invokes the question of the part that notification of "Change of Tactics" brings into a race........there was a COTFF declared for RR in this race, therefore, any trainer/driver with some thought could have worked out let's get behind the leader.....best place to be if RR is going forward!
This rules waves a big "red flag" in front of rivals in a race, to therefore adjust or modify their tactics to the "highly publicised" intentions of their competition.
At RR's previous start, draws barrier 10, 1st Q 26.5 outside the leader, different driver, finished last..... but less than 6 metres from the winner! Why wouldn't you go forward at your next start, especially, if you could be in front!
Moreover, RR started 8/1 from the outside barrier...........always a risk from there, you take the odds to it from out there! Some say she should have gone back when she contested for the lead unsuccessfully to give her horse a chance??? That is rubbish, as the 2 horses under RR early, and then 2 & 3 fence in the run, both beat her home anyway!
You would think we were talking about the 2/1 on favourite!
Get over it....she had a go from the outside barrier, it did not work, RR was not the best credentialed runner in the race anyway, she should be admired for "having a go!"
Go Lauren, they all forget you drove a Group 1 Breeeders Crown winner to an all the way win in August.
(For the record, I have never met, spoken to, texted, twitter etc to Lauren in my life......)

Messenger
10-08-2014, 06:12 PM
Kevin, you don't think such a fast lead time for a horse of that grade would have some effect on the result of the race.
Maybe (1) Gas the horse
(2) Not allow it to finish in the best possible position, it was even money favorite
or (3) More judgement of pace shown by the driver.
Punters will soon leave if their tickets are confetti in a first quarter suicide
I would have hoped you did not think I am stupid Bailey. Of course I know all those things BUT it seems to me that they are querying the horses performance NOT the drive

The Form Student
10-08-2014, 07:35 PM
For a lead time of 25.7, and the mile in 1:52.9, and to be only beaten 10 metres.........what a great run! Maybe she could have pulled back and got behind Drawing Away or press on for the lead? Toss a coin to see which way you go!.... both of these horses went great. My Mustang led at it's previous run, winning in 1:55.5 at Newcastle, not bad.
Once again the tactics were to get the lead.....You know what you are going to get! You hold them out at your peril, or take a bit of sting out of them before handing over.....it's a fine line sometimes!
Maybe, both teams thought they could win that race.....caused the competition for the lead........gee, people actually being competitive in a race!............wow!
I like it!

Race For Fun
10-08-2014, 08:10 PM
When question in regards to her drive and the performance of MY MUSTANG NZ, driver L PANELLA advised although her first sectional was quick and the horse worked hard early, it is a big horse and it can be difficult to drive and in her opinion easing the horse at that stage would be detrimental to its performance. She stated the horse is yet to better 29 seconds for the final sectional and was not overly disappointed in its run considering the step up in class. A post race veterinary examination of the horse found it to be stepping short with slight lameness in the left hind leg. Trainer S TRITTON was advised a veterinary clearance would be required prior to the horse racing again.

If connections are aware that this horse can not get home in a sub 29 quarter why would anyone be running an attacking sub 26 first quarter?

Giving the horse every chance to win? Why is this accepted by the stewards?

The Form Student
10-08-2014, 08:28 PM
When you race you horse upside down, the slowest quarter will generally be the last one! If they believe that it cannot better 29 for the last quarter, they are obviously trying to gas the other horses chasing, or hope they have to big a lead to be caught!
I don't agree with the horse can't run a last quester quicker than 29, if you go slow enough, a snail can run home in 28! If you can run a quarter in 25. 7 out of the gate, given a sit in a "normally" run race, I think you would run quicker than 29 on Menangle. Give it a "cuddle" run and we will see!
The horse must be a speedy 1200 metre horse, keep it in mind for the Flying K series!
It reminds me of some of my old favourite horses from the standing start days!........Captain Gay & Tiny Rebel!

Messenger
10-08-2014, 08:53 PM
When question in regards to her drive and the performance of MY MUSTANG NZ, driver L PANELLA advised although her first sectional was quick and the horse worked hard early, it is a big horse and it can be difficult to drive and in her opinion easing the horse at that stage would be detrimental to its performance. She stated the horse is yet to better 29 seconds for the final sectional and was not overly disappointed in its run considering the step up in class. A post race veterinary examination of the horse found it to be stepping short with slight lameness in the left hind leg. Trainer S TRITTON was advised a veterinary clearance would be required prior to the horse racing again.

Where did you find this Toni?

Race For Fun
10-08-2014, 09:09 PM
In stewards report. Reports are up for menangle on tuesday maitland on saturday so no excuse for Newcastle on Friday not being up.

Messenger
10-08-2014, 09:40 PM
In stewards report. Reports are up for menangle on tuesday maitland on saturday so no excuse for Newcastle on Friday not being up.

That is right Toni but the reason doofus me asked, was me erronously thinking that report you quoted was from Newcastle

DRUIDRACING
10-09-2014, 07:33 PM
All we want is consistent rulings.

Mighty Atom
10-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Is it only me or is any body else sick and tired of seeing Seel N Print being positioned last or tucked away on the rails near last. If this is how this horse races then I would think that a New Zealand Cup campaign would be a waste of time.

aussiebreno
10-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Is it only me or is any body else sick and tired of seeing Seal N Print being positioned last or tucked away on the rails near last. If this is how this horse races then I would think that a New Zealand Cup campaign would be a waste of time.
They won't be getting home in 27.2 and 27.1 in a NZ Cup which brings Seel N Print style right back into it.

The Form Student
11-19-2014, 11:38 AM
Is it only me or is any body else sick and tired of seeing Seel N Print being positioned last or tucked away on the rails near last. If this is how this horse races then I would think that a New Zealand Cup campaign would be a waste of time.

What about in the NZ free For All, S'N'P led easily, gave up the lead got shuffled back...........did not run on!.........maybe that's why they normally restrain at the start!.........I think that maybe the travel, plus his form has been tapering off in recent runs, and therefore really needs a spell or freshen up!

p plater
11-30-2014, 12:22 PM
When I started this thread, my concern was the judgement shown by the driver. After last nights MM maybe it should be directed to the stable. Both horses had no chance after 400m and the lead at all costs mentality must be questioned. Did these horses finish in their best possible positions? How do the owners feel?

On another note, only in March this year L. Panella got 8 weeks for careless driving in the Inter Final which finished the career of I'm Victorious. Then last night the same careless driving, this time into Avonova, thankfully no career ending injury but the stewards give her 5 weeks. These are the cream of the crop horses and this type of driving must stop and 5 weeks for a 2nd charge in 8months (with 2 months suspended from driving) is imo inconsistent policing.How can you get less the 2nd time both in Group1 races.

allanjg
11-30-2014, 12:36 PM
totally agree bailey,six months would have been generous.....this driver has an attitude problem as to rules of race driving and a good long break from driving looking over the fence, i think,would do more good than therapy sessions.

brent_L
11-30-2014, 01:24 PM
When I started this thread, my concern was the judgement shown by the driver. After last nights MM maybe it should be directed to the stable. Both horses had no chance after 400m and the lead at all costs mentality must be questioned. Did these horses finish in their best possible positions? How do the owners feel?

On another note, only in March this year L. Panella got 8 weeks for careless driving in the Inter Final which finished the career of I'm Victorious. Then last night the same careless driving, this time into Avonova, thankfully no career ending injury but the stewards give her 5 weeks. These are the cream of the crop horses and this type of driving must stop and 5 weeks for a 2nd charge in 8months (with 2 months suspended from driving) is imo inconsistent policing.How can you get less the 2nd time both in Group1 races.
Couldn't agree more Bailey.

Regarding last nights race, I believe the Avonnova camp should also be hanging their heads.

jackthepunter
11-30-2014, 03:15 PM
The 5 weeks is a joke, she all but killed 2 horses in the last 12 months, somehow didnt bring both fields down and now this.Got no idea how to drive in a field or push out. If this was the throughbreds she lose her metro licence,and be sent back to the trails

thepacingman
11-30-2014, 05:37 PM
she lose her metro licence, and be sent back to the trials

This is exactly what should happen. But whether the board/stewards have got the balls to do it is another matter.

What you do then is put conditions on her trial drives.
(1) Do a significant number (don't state a figure) of satisfactory drives.
(2) Must drive at tracks of different size (1400, 1000 & 800 metre tracks).
(3) Must go back at the start and be in the one of the last two positions for the first half of the trial, and then make a forward move.
(4) Must not cause any interference or she starts again at zero.
(5) If she gets put back to zero a second time, her driving licence is cancelled.

This lead at all costs and knock 'em over mentality MUST stop.

p plater
11-30-2014, 08:56 PM
Maybe the stewards should have a closer look at this matter, I have been made aware of an incident that happened 12 months ago, in fact the 2013 running of the Newcastle Mile in November. There was an adjourned inquiry after the race, the result of that inquiry appeared sometime later in a Menangle report. The result reads:

RACE 7 THE NEWCASTLE MILE
Ms L Panella plead guilty to a charge pursuant to Rule 163(1)(a) in that between the 1400 and the 1200 metres she placed undue pressure on BEAUTIDE resulting in that horse making contact with marker pegs and racing rough when being restrained to avoid her sulky wheel. L Panella was suspended for a period of 14 days which will commence at midnight on 14 December 2013 the conclusion of a previous suspension and expire at midnight 28 December 2013.

Maybe this young lady has to curb her killer instinct and act a lot safer in races. Not our pin up girl with this history.

The Escape Club
11-30-2014, 10:07 PM
Maybe the stewards should have a closer look at this matter, I have been made aware of an incident that happened 12 months ago, in fact the 2013 running of the Newcastle Mile in November. There was an adjourned inquiry after the race, the result of that inquiry appeared sometime later in a Menangle report. The result reads:

RACE 7 THE NEWCASTLE MILE
Ms L Panella plead guilty to a charge pursuant to Rule 163(1)(a) in that between the 1400 and the 1200 metres she placed undue pressure on BEAUTIDE resulting in that horse making contact with marker pegs and racing rough when being restrained to avoid her sulky wheel. L Panella was suspended for a period of 14 days which will commence at midnight on 14 December 2013 the conclusion of a previous suspension and expire at midnight 28 December 2013.

Maybe this young lady has to curb her killer instinct and act a lot safer in races. Not our pin up girl with this history.

That was to go with the 4 weeks she copped from the 1st race that same night.

apexguy
11-30-2014, 10:27 PM
All horses in the stable seemed to lose a leg last night, not a single placing and most were gone and dropping out at the 400 metres. Anything mentioned in the stewards reports?

HaroldParker
12-01-2014, 02:40 AM
The constant critique of her driving is getting old.

You guys are MIA when she's driving winner after winner ... yet a night or two without one and you're all over her.

She wanted the lead last night and had a serious dip for it. The 5 weeks is a joke.

As for whether or not she's the pin up girl for the industry, she should be.

The Escape Club
12-01-2014, 03:38 AM

You guys are MIA when she's driving winner after winner ... yet a night or two without one and you're all over her.

She wanted the lead last night and had a serious dip for it. The 5 weeks is a joke.

The problem Bob is that leading she's fine, if she can't get it, a lot of the time she's a menace.

strong persuader
12-01-2014, 10:51 AM

I hope you are talking with your tongue firmly planted in your cheek Harold. The criticism is based on the amount of interference she causes in big races, not the amount or lack of success. Maybe someone more proficient than me can pull up the replay of the Carousel where she butchered her own chances and cruelled a few others. The Newcastle Mile where she tightened up Beautide has been mentioned. The ID where she ended the career of I'm Victorious. Miracle Mile where she tried to unseat a driver and possibly lame her own horse. There are many more cases that could be added to the list, but that is enough for now. I have told my own daughter that if she ever drives like her, she won't be driving ours anymore and we don't have horses that are 1/10th the quality this girl gets to sit behind.

The Form Student
12-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Couldn't agree more Bailey.

Regarding last nights race, I believe the Avonnova camp should also be hanging their heads.

I can't believe everybody is coming down on Lauren, she saw an opportunity at the start to cross and "perhaps" get the lead, she was ahead od Avonnova at the time, and Avonnova's driver decided to kick up in the middle for some strange reason............he could have had behind the leader or 1-1, if SL raced outside, or outside the lead if SSL got the lead............where else would Avonnova want to be???...........as soon as the driver of Avonnova saw that SSL was not crossing he grabbed hold just as Lauren saw the opportunity to get behind the lead and went for it............honestly, it was a great drive by Lauren.......given the circumstances that unfolded!............I wrote in the MM thread that Avonnova tactics should have been heading for behind the leader at all costs anyway...........IMO Avonnova was driven poorly.......after being outsped at the start decided it was time for "kamikaze" tactics to kick up, for what purpose??...........and in doing so, not giving itself every chance at getting a bigger share of the prizemoney!! Avonnova's team were clearly aware they were not getting the lead from EOTE if it held the lead, they did not even come out within half a length of it!

They did not take into account the bigger picture..............Christen Me, Beautide and Guaranteed lurking behind him?

Race For Fun
12-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Haven't watched a replay of the race but from memory I don't think behind EOTE was ever going to be the ideal spot in the race, he didn't look like he was ever going to be the horse to take anyone into the race, slowest mile rate in the race. Yes Avonnova went too hard at start but you could ask why didn't EOTE want the sit on Avonnova?

strong persuader
12-01-2014, 01:35 PM
I can't believe everybody is coming down on Lauren, she saw an opportunity at the start to cross and "perhaps" get the lead, she was ahead od Avonnova at the time, and Avonnova's driver decided to kick up in the middle for some strange reason............he could have had behind the leader or 1-1, if SL raced outside, or outside the lead if SSL got the lead............where else would Avonnova want to be???...........as soon as the driver of Avonnova saw that SSL was not crossing he grabbed hold just as Lauren saw the opportunity to get behind the lead and went for it............honestly, it was a great drive by Lauren.......given the circumstances that unfolded!............I wrote in the MM thread that Avonnova tactics should have been heading for behind the leader at all costs anyway...........IMO Avonnova was driven poorly.......after being outsped at the start decided it was time for "kamikaze" tactics to kick up, for what purpose??...........and in doing so, not giving itself every chance at getting a bigger share of the prizemoney!! Avonnova's team were clearly aware they were not getting the lead from EOTE if it held the lead, they did not even come out within half a length of it!

They did not take into account the bigger picture..............Christen Me, Beautide and Guaranteed lurking behind him?

That isn't even being considered by me, they may have been questionable tactics, but that is what they wanted to do, so all OK. It is about 400 from home, when she allowed SSL to shift up the track and contact the wheel of Avonova. That is where the suspension came from and is the incident that I refer to as just plain silly driving.

The Form Student
12-01-2014, 02:58 PM
That isn't even being considered by me, they may have been questionable tactics, but that is what they wanted to do, so all OK. It is about 400 from home, when she allowed SSL to shift up the track and contact the wheel of Avonova. That is where the suspension came from and is the incident that I refer to as just plain silly driving.

Agree, that was bad, very tight for room at the time..........I think she thought Avonnova was going 3W at the time, but there is no excuse, she needed to wait just a bit longer to see! I hope SSL is OK!

jackthepunter
12-01-2014, 05:43 PM

I couldn't care less how many races she wins. The facts are at times she is reckless and a danger to other horses and drivers. I can't remember ever seeing 2 more dangerous and reckless things ever in harness racing, than what she did to lettucerockthem and im victorious. And she still can't get it, you don't push out by putting your wheel under another horse guts or by taking their front legs, or if people don't hand up the front to you, you tighten them up for room or drive into the back of them after the race.

Race For Fun
12-01-2014, 05:46 PM

I'm sure your just fishing for nibbles, but just so its clear driver got time for causing interference entering the straight the last time nothing to do with leaving the mobile.

ShaneRead
12-01-2014, 05:58 PM
I couldn't care less how many races she wins. The facts are at times she is reckless and a danger to other horses and drivers. I can't remember ever seeing 2 more dangerous and reckless things ever in harness racing, than what she did to lettucerockthem and im victorious. And she still can't get it, you don't push out by putting your wheel under another horse guts or by taking their front legs, or if people don't hand up the front to you, you tighten them up for room or drive into the back of them after the race.

jack gets it. bob doesnt.

Maorisidol
12-01-2014, 10:02 PM

Spot on Jack, right down to the last 10 words of your post!
I wonder if Lauren reads this forum?
in fact i wonder if as Shane Read said that "Jack gets it, Bob doesnt", i wonder if after this, another similar extremely dangerous incident, if Lauren gets it?
Cos if you did, if you really did, and you really cared about animals, after especially the I'm Victorious scenario, you just wouldnt do it again, yet she could very well have severely injured her own horse SSL!!!
Does she have an mentor?
Do any young drivers these days have mentors?
Maybe this could be an answer to all young drivers, a selection of long standing drivers/trainers/industry people who are highly respected but in their twilight years, who could have a quiet word in the ears of those who may need someone else to say to them that their behaviour just isnt right. So they dont just get rules and regs thrown at them in the Stewards room, but again a quiet word to say "listen thats just not right what you have done there, you have done it multiple times now and you really need to correct that behaviour"
Whats everybodys thoughts?

Smoken
12-01-2014, 10:44 PM
I believe it comes down to ones moral and ethical compass Ash. If she hasn't learnt from the I'm Victorious incident, and the others mentioned, then something is very wrong. Her punishments have been light IMO, so the deterrence in a legal tense is definitely not there. These are merely my opinions, & I hope I don't get banned, as I'm on my final warning...

Messenger
12-02-2014, 12:38 AM
You're safe with us Ev - we will tell you when you are being naughty

Pena
12-02-2014, 10:50 AM
I have been screaming this from the roof top for the last 12 months. The ego is bigger than the ability. The Newcastle Herald story about I have to look after myself shows through in the way she drives all day everyday.

Smoken
12-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Lauren obviously believes she's a better driver now.. Maybe she drove Stuey like she did is, because he's claustrophobic... Maybe she just wanted to try win no matter what, even though she knew she had no chance.. She needs to cool down before she does another IV situation or worse. That's it from me regarding Lauren. I wish her the best, & hope she realises what she has been doing.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2729539/panella-suave-stuey-lombo-ready-for-miracle-mile/

The Form Student
12-02-2014, 12:04 PM
Spot on Jack, right down to the last 10 words of your post!
I wonder if Lauren reads this forum?
in fact i wonder if as Shane Read said that "Jack gets it, Bob doesnt", i wonder if after this, another similar extremely dangerous incident, if Lauren gets it?
Cos if you did, if you really did, and you really cared about animals, after especially the I'm Victorious scenario, you just wouldnt do it again, yet she could very well have severely injured her own horse SSL!!!
Does she have an mentor?
Do any young drivers these days have mentors?
Maybe this could be an answer to all young drivers, a selection of long standing drivers/trainers/industry people who are highly respected but in their twilight years, who could have a quiet word in the ears of those who may need someone else to say to them that their behaviour just isnt right. So they dont just get rules and regs thrown at them in the Stewards room, but again a quiet word to say "listen thats just not right what you have done there, you have done it multiple times now and you really need to correct that behaviour"
Whats everybodys thoughts?

Your comments are spot on!........mentoring is part of every day life in all walks of life these days..........no different here......most harness people are "bred" into the game, and there learnings and knowledge come from those families! Lauren would have enough people around her to assist with the mentoring!.........she has a "few skeletons" in the closet now.........so she really does need to re-assess her ability to firstly drive safely, and also to become a little bit more innovative when things don't go her way! She is obviously headstrong on winning and being highly competitive, but needs to look at not overdoing this competitiveness.........sometimes it is a very fine balance.
I liken her to a young LLeyton Hewitt, who was arrogant and highly competitive...........most of the public did not like him to start with!.........he has matured to the point where he is a great commentator and more humble person.... looks like a good father..........his injuries have also mellowed his invincibleness....and he is more accepted totally by the masses.

Lauren does not want to lose her competitive nature, but does urgently need to re-assess this, as she is running out of time with the public, other trainers and drivers, and the stewards! She is having a holiday at present, and will have a chance to think this through, and take it on board, I expect her to come back bigger and better for the future!