PDA

View Full Version : Things are changing

p plater
10-11-2014, 10:00 PM
It doesn't seem that long ago that D. Binskin was in trouble with stewards for laying back in the cart American Style. Now young T. McCarthy and others seem to have got the green light to drive that way. Must work as he's on fire.

Also the use of the foot to release the plugs would also cost a driver in the stewards room but also now seems to be ok.

Anyone know if both are approved?

Danno
10-11-2014, 10:22 PM
Cant tell you for sure Bailey but they have to use their feet, cos there's so many things to "pull and push" 2 hands are def not enough. Gotta remind myself not to get started on this topic...

The Form Student
10-11-2014, 10:27 PM
should be banned leaning back, could cost the horse behind half a length extra to run down that horse............maybe he should move his seat forward half a length to make sure all is fair!

p plater
10-11-2014, 11:42 PM
should be banned leaning back, could cost the horse behind half a length extra to run down that horse............maybe he should move his seat forward half a length to make sure all is fair!
Interesting comment, could that also see a fellow driver pushing off the fence and not being use to someone lean back that far, make contact with the driver leaning back.
I would not like to a high stepper behind me.

The Form Student
10-12-2014, 12:07 AM
The other point of conjecture is drivers not being up on the gate at the start trying to get the run up "fly" at the start, especially when there is a horse drawn directly behind that runner......if it is a slow beginner it can cost it an extra spot in the run.........I thought drivers were all supposed to be up on the gate prior to the start?

Race For Fun
10-12-2014, 08:49 AM
The other point of conjecture is drivers not being up on the gate at the start trying to get the run up "fly" at the start, especially when there is a horse drawn directly behind that runner......if it is a slow beginner it can cost it an extra spot in the run.........I thought drivers were all supposed to be up on the gate prior to the start?

Totally agree with this Steve. If a horse fails to fully fill its position on the gate at the start the stewards have the driver in and want to know why, but if you are behind some smarty trying to "get the fly" nothing said. But if the inside second row driver hangs back to get off the fence straight after the start stewards ping them. Drivers who lay back out of the sulky then have to look around the side of the horse to see ahead of them instead of over the rump of their horse.

This style of driving also requires the driver to have a longer grip on the reins and if the horse starts to over race and or hang........

Lack of control once upon a time.......

Mighty Atom
10-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Another thing that should be banned is the number of drivers holding the reins at head level in run to the finishing post; one particular offender whom I won't name. No control of the horse whatsoever.

trish
10-12-2014, 01:30 PM
HRNSW website still has these rules in place.relating to sulkies

170. (1) A driver shall, throughout the course of a race, drive with both feet in the rests of the sulky.
(2) A driver shall not drive in a race with part of the driver’s body protruding beyond the sulky.

(3) A driver who fails to comply with any provision of this rule is guilty of an offence

allanjg
10-12-2014, 03:15 PM
the drivers lay back simply to take weight off the saddle....hence the horse is not pulling and carrying but only pulling,it may only equate to a couple of pounds,but it might make a big difference in tight finish....i could explain it in more detail but i would be only boring you all s..tless.

The Form Student
10-12-2014, 05:07 PM
the drivers lay back simply to take weight off the saddle....hence the horse is not pulling and carrying but only pulling,it may only equate to a couple of pounds,but it might make a big difference in tight finish....i could explain it in more detail but i would be only boring you all s..tless.

If this makes such a difference, trainers should be only putting on light weight drivers!.............maybe the stewards should start weighing out the drivers so punters can make an informed decision.........can you imagine the weight variations out there!.....also their weight after Xmas lunch!

The Form Student
10-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Maybe Lauren Panella should be carrying a 20kg lead bag in the sulky with her to even things up!

Messenger
10-12-2014, 05:57 PM
If this makes such a difference, trainers should be only putting on light weight drivers!.............maybe the stewards should start weighing out the drivers so punters can make an informed decision.........can you imagine the weight variations out there!.....also their weight after Xmas lunch!
I think in the old days this was refuted but I cannot see how a (strong) 50kg driver is not an advantage over an 80kg driver

Race For Fun
10-12-2014, 06:23 PM

Jim Walsh (think that's the correct spelling) of Regal sulkies fame and fortune can produce a truck load of documents to disprove this statement. The company claimed that because of the positioning of the seat behind the wheels this automatically had the effect of pushing the sulky forward. From memory the claim was that there was little to no difference in the weight of a 90 kg driver or a 120 kg driver, it is all in the balance of the sulky. Add quick hitch harness which it is said to have a lifting effect (sulky pushing forward and quick hitch harness lifting from on the girth). This man spent a life time researching this for the design of his sulkies. Hope I didn't bore everyone shi......

These drivers who drive this way are playing with themselves (no picture needed thanks Kevin :-))

Tell them to sit on their reins also.

Messenger
10-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Jim Walsh (think that's the correct spelling) of Regal sulkies fame and fortune can produce a truck load of documents to disprove this statement. The company claimed that because of the positioning of the seat behind the wheels this automatically had the effect of pushing the sulky forward. From memory the claim was that there was little to no difference in the weight of a 90 kg driver or a 120 kg driver, it is all in the balance of the sulky. Add quick hitch harness which it is said to have a lifting effect (sulky pushing forward and quick hitch harness lifting from on the girth). This man spent a life time researching this for the design of his sulkies. Hope I didn't bore everyone shi......

These drivers who drive this way are playing with themselves (no picture needed thanks Kevin :-))

Tell them to sit on their reins also.

Well I could not let this go without a pic

Race For Fun
10-12-2014, 09:04 PM
I held my breath as I peeked. ;-)

Greg Hando
10-17-2014, 10:07 AM
They used to weigh in.

trish
10-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Yes Greg they didhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzdUwDwCMAA55eV.jpg:large

aussiebreno
10-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Yes Greg they didhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzdUwDwCMAA55eV.jpg:large
When did that change? Late 90s? I was born 1992 and have vague recollections of them weighing in.

Messenger
10-17-2014, 03:39 PM
When did that change? Late 90s? I was born 1992 and have vague recollections of them weighing in.
I think it was way earlier than that Breno, I was born in 55 and I have no recollection of it

aussiebreno
10-17-2014, 03:45 PM
I think it was way earlier than that Breno, I was born in 55 and I have no recollection of it
So I took a closer look at the picture and it looks like maybe the saddle is off the third horse, in the Dixon like colours. So they actually literally weighed the saddle like the gallops?
What I recall is maybe just 'checking in' I'm sure it's called something else. The first four or whatever used to line up on the outside fence like above. Now they just go past the steward on the way back and that's that. What was all that about?

Messenger
10-17-2014, 03:51 PM
I always thought it was somewhat ceremonial (like an athlete standing on the winners dias) but also to give drivers a chance to lodge any protest with a steward and the steward a better chance to give the horses a once over.
The gallops obviously still do it as they must have the place-getters weigh in - I like it but if it is a waste of time and would hinder shorter time between races we can live without it

eliteblood
10-17-2014, 04:42 PM
I recall that drivers were once required to weigh 10 stone, else carry weight under their seat.
That was the case until approx 1970.

The Form Student
10-17-2014, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=aussiebreno;36958]So I took a closer look at the picture and it looks like maybe the saddle is off the third horse, in the Dixon like colours. So they actually literally weighed the saddle like the gallops?

The Dixon colours looks like K B Newman in stall 2, and his mate Clarrie next to him!

trish
10-17-2014, 05:27 PM
I recall that drivers were once required to weigh 10 stone, else carry weight under their seat.

Yes it was that weight , as kids we weren't allowed in the stabling area but I think they had to weigh in before they drove in races, I know my dad was a light weight & had to carry weight (lead) under his seat, always loosing the wing nuts. The photo was still like a correct weight thing even though they had already weighed in. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

trish
10-17-2014, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=aussiebreno;36958]So I took a closer look at the picture and it looks like maybe the saddle is off the third horse, in the Dixon like colours. So they actually literally weighed the saddle like the gallops?

The Dixon colours looks like K B Newman in stall 2, and his mate Clarrie next to him!

Adams in 1?? Newman in 2 & looks like Clarrie's colours in 3....who's the 4th???

The Form Student
10-17-2014, 05:42 PM
Perce Hall or Owen Glendenning!

Messenger
10-17-2014, 06:58 PM
Yes it was that weight , as kids we weren't allowed in the stabling area but I think they had to weigh in before they drove in races, I know my dad was a light weight & had to carry weight (lead) under his seat, always loosing the wing nuts. The photo was still like a correct weight thing even though they had already weighed in. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Our Richard hates the horse name Uncle Wingnut - maybe it is a throw back to those 'weight under the seat' days Trish LOL

Greg Hando
10-17-2014, 10:31 PM

That is i meant by weighing in Trevor

Amlin
10-17-2014, 11:47 PM
I can remember them lining up beside one another after the race at the local track late 90's, maybe into early 2000's. It could have stopped for OHS reasons maybe, can't think of any other reason.

Track attendants would be there too to lead horses up to the fence, hang onto them etc.

eliteblood
10-18-2014, 08:08 PM

Trish, I think they still had to get on the scales after the race. When a minimum weight was no longer required drivers still lined up as per the photo, the steward used to check the whips and the drivers had an opportunity at this time to lodge a protest before "all clear" was given.
I think a minimum weight should never have been abolished and am still convinced that weight matters.

trish
10-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Trish, I think they still had to get on the scales after the race. When a minimum weight was no longer required drivers still lined up as per the photo, the steward used to check the whips and the drivers had an opportunity at this time to lodge a protest before "all clear" was given.
I think a minimum weight should never have been abolished and am still convinced that weight matters.

Thanks Trevor, couldn't recall what happened at HP. I 150% agree with you that weight matters, I'm sure it does & no one will ever convince me otherwise. Its ridiculous to think that when horses for trainers in the gallops are given a 1kg penalty, connections are devastated & has seen horses scratched from some big races. Yet week after week drivers can give away as much as 50kg.
Weight can stop a freight train is an old racetrack expression.

Messenger
10-19-2014, 12:53 AM
Totally agree too. Who was the last heavy 'ish' driver to win a premiership?

Greg Hando
10-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Perce Hall or Owen Glendenning!

I think it's Owen Mr Hall had all cerise i think

The Form Student
10-23-2014, 11:59 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzdUwDwCMAA55eV.jpg:large

I agree, likely to be the "Big O", but he and Perce were related at one stage!
Check out the guys on the right sitting on the brick wall......one push or slip!

eliteblood
10-23-2014, 01:03 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzdUwDwCMAA55eV.jpg:large

I agree, likely to be the "Big O", but he and Perce were related at one stage!
Check out the guys on the right sitting on the brick wall......one push or slip!

Perc's colours were red with purple sleeves as I recall

The Form Student
10-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Where unanimous - O W Glendenning!