The racing at the Meadowlands during this fall meet has been pretty sad; more 'B' track than anything else. After all, on Friday night they had three races for $8,000 claimers. Some people have speculated their purse account is running low which has required cutbacks in quality. It finally dawned on me it may not be the case at all, but a dress rehearsal to see how wagering holds up if this type of racing the Meadowlands puts on; can the wagering sustain this level of wagering.

Friday's total handle was $1,533,329.00 for nine races. Saturday's total handle was $1,617,197.00 for ten races. I was trying to find a comparative date to compare handle against and I really can't. The last time they had a fall meet was in 2008 which was a long time ago and then the Breeders Crown was at the Meadowlands. As for trying to come up with a Friday or Saturday date during the 2010 meet which could be used for an accurate comparison, there is none. But suffice it to say , the handle is down big time; probably down over a $1.0 million.

Where does the Meadowland's handle fall? On Wednesday night, January 13, 2010 the handle for a ten race card was $1,702,114.00. Of course, it is not an exact comparison.