Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Different Aspects to Programming

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I am serious about it being dark here before 6pm
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I cannot understand why Hamilton is not starting until 1.33 today and thereby not finishing until 5.38+
    It will just about be dark by then

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...23#HMC01052302
    It's 5:25 at my place and twilight is setting in. A tough call for the racecaller at Hamilton.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The pics we see are of course enhanced but he did mention when they were moving up that it was getting dark and the lights on the semaphore board are a good indicator. I am about an hour North and it was really quite dark very early today - before 5
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I knew it was Horsham trots on Monday so I just looked up the fields to see if I would postpone my shopping until then BUT once the better races begin, it is 40mins between races so the answer is NO
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Despite there being a gap of 39mins and 38mins, tonight's Melton card will be all over a little after 9.15 - it makes sense for attendees and participants driving home at this time of the year
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Two gaps of 42mins and another of 40 even have a local tossing up attending Stawell on Monday

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...s/?mc=SW290523

Take out the race and the horses warming up and pulling up and you still have 30mins of NOTHING
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Two gaps of 42mins and another of 40 even have a local tossing up attending Stawell on Monday

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...s/?mc=SW290523

Take out the race and the horses warming up and pulling up and you still have 30mins of NOTHING
    which is the problem with harness racing. It's just so BORING for spectators. I always thought make the max time between races 20minutes and have the industry body hire a person or two who can go around and help trainers gear their horses/cart them/wash them etc if they have horses in consecutive races and if there's a stewards enquiry with a driver in the previous race, have a warm up driver on hand. Wouldn't cost much extra and gets things ticking along quicker

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Great points IMO Katie
    They will tell us it is about fitting in with Sky
    (and that spectators are not even a consideration nowadays)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Great points IMO Katie
    They will tell us it is about fitting in with Sky
    (and that spectators are not even a consideration nowadays)
    If a NSW meet has times 12:00 12:40 1:20 2:00 2:40 3:20 4:00 4:40 5:20
    and Vic meet has times 12:20 1:00 1:40 2:20 3:00 3:40 4:20 5:00 5:40

Surely the NSW meet could do 12:00 12:20 1:00 1:20 1:40 2:00 2:20 2:40
    And the Vic meet could do 3:00 3:20 3:40 4:00 4:20 4:40 5:00 5:20 5:40

With a bit of mixing and matching and profit redistribution to allow for some times are better to race at than others. At least a trial to see overall impact. Does get a bit harder with night meets telling one meeting they start at around 8:00 and would be pretty hard during summer when our 1st evening race isn;t until after 6pm (pushing 2nd meeting back to 9pm start which doesn't work).

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    You are a clever cookie Brendan
    Its value of course is all about attendance - are our administrators interested?
    It would be an interesting experiment if the 2 states could agree to a trial run.
    The thing is that it would have to be a day when there is the potential to attract a crowd
    When would that be a chance? Friday twilight/evening, Saturday twilight/evening. Or are these times when people are not as fussed about time between races as they are winding down
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread