https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/the...oving-forward/

Adam says we need to speed things up

the most alarming statistic a couple of years back was that harness racing accounted for more than 30 percent of racing “air time” on Sky Racing 1, while delivering little more than 10 percent of the overall racing turnover.

Pause and get your head around that … It's scary.

One thing we can do to slightly change that dynamic is to embrace more sprint-type racing. By that I mean the likes of the 1200m Mercury80 and last Saturday week’s Stampede. You can also throw in the very successful Trot Rods series run at Redcliffe each year.

I can hear the screams from the diehards now … “you’re kidding, those races are a joke.”

But this is not about what we want or like as an industry, it’s about what the modern punters want and what we need to try to arrest the decline.

"this is not about what we want or like as an industry, it’s about what the modern punters want and what we need to try"

YIKES!

Unfortunately when put like that, it sounds as if we are in retail or manufacturing and need to change our product
Breeding will have to change. Maybe we will have to swap from Standardbreds to Quarter horses
I think we old-timers are lucky to have seen and enjoyed what we have because it sounds like we are gone
It will be alright for a participant purely involved to make money out of horses - for trots lovers, not so much

We should have seriously looked at how the French won the public and have no concerns about their turnover on the PMU
It is probably too late here as we have allowed our brand to be trashed (the gallops and those connected to it have historically been our enemy) and the ABC may be going to deliver another nail tonight