Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: IDEAS on how we can improve Harness Racing

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/the...oving-forward/

Adam says we need to speed things up

the most alarming statistic a couple of years back was that harness racing accounted for more than 30 percent of racing “air time” on Sky Racing 1, while delivering little more than 10 percent of the overall racing turnover.

Pause and get your head around that … It's scary.

One thing we can do to slightly change that dynamic is to embrace more sprint-type racing. By that I mean the likes of the 1200m Mercury80 and last Saturday week’s Stampede. You can also throw in the very successful Trot Rods series run at Redcliffe each year.

I can hear the screams from the diehards now … “you’re kidding, those races are a joke.”

But this is not about what we want or like as an industry, it’s about what the modern punters want and what we need to try to arrest the decline.

"this is not about what we want or like as an industry, it’s about what the modern punters want and what we need to try"

YIKES!

Unfortunately when put like that, it sounds as if we are in retail or manufacturing and need to change our product
    Breeding will have to change. Maybe we will have to swap from Standardbreds to Quarter horses
    I think we old-timers are lucky to have seen and enjoyed what we have because it sounds like we are gone
    It will be alright for a participant purely involved to make money out of horses - for trots lovers, not so much

We should have seriously looked at how the French won the public and have no concerns about their turnover on the PMU
    It is probably too late here as we have allowed our brand to be trashed (the gallops and those connected to it have historically been our enemy) and the ABC may be going to deliver another nail tonight
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Can I ask Adam who is going to change to harness racing when Nature Strip runs a faster 1000m and She's A Pearl runs a faster 500m? if they want quick fast racing that's who they're watching.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    PP makes the very good point that Adam's 'punting dollar per minute of race time' are amiss for we have to remember that harness races pretty much get nothing more than the time it takes to run the race while gallops races often get lots of time before and after the race - to be fair these minutes have to be counted too
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    PP makes the very good point that Adam's 'punting dollar per minute of race time' are amiss for we have to remember that harness races pretty much get nothing more than the time it takes to run the race while gallops races often get lots of time before and after the race - to be fair these minutes have to be counted too
    Also Sat arvo traffic. 4-5 hours of the best airtime.

Member Yearling Theoldfox will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Em C
    Ok, If I wasn't concerned for the industry before... I definitely am now

I did a google search for "Harnesslink" on my phone and whilst clicking through and waiting for it to load I noticed the most alarming google suggestion....Under "people also ask" the first question was "Does harness racing still exist?". To the industry this should be absolutely shocking and it probably shows that we are all asleep at the wheel, whilst heading straight for the cliff that we will soon head over.

Amusingly "who is Peter Profit?" was the third question listed.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The US trotting industry obviously has a better relationship with the thoroughbreds than we do

The Meadowlands management is pleased and excited to again showcase harness racing’s greatest horses and events on the Fox Sports Network via the popular television series America’s Day at the Races this season. The opportunity to join this initiative comes via an association with the New York Racing Association (NYRA).

The first of eight broadcasts will take place this Saturday (April 29) with the entire card televised alongside the opening night of Thoroughbred racing for the spring meet at Churchill Downs. The placement is ideal, exposing harness racing to a large Thoroughbred audience that is focusing on Churchill with the Kentucky Derby just a week away.

https://ustrottingnews.com/meadowlan...ports-network/

In Oz the thoroughbred states are at war, much less embracing harness as a partner
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    You cannot deny that Adam really cares about harness racing
    This idea has merit IMO

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/the...l-to-breeders/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    If my memory still functions, the Breeders' Crown concept was originally championed by Alan Galloway with the finals to be held at Bendigo. HRV stuck its claws into the Crown and stole it from the regional clubs. Adam Hamilton's thoughts pretty well mirror the original vision for the event.

I admit having never been to a Breeders's Crown at Melton but that is because I find the place a depressing reminder of how good the trots used to be. The only fond memories I have of Melton are Sunday drives to get a loaf of fresh-baked bread for Sunday night's tea and fishing with Dad at Melton Weir. The thought of standing outside exposed to cold southerly winds with a glorified hot dog van to provide "comfort" food does not thrill me. Give the event back to Bendigo, I say.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Yes, I think Adam acknowledges its origins, early days it may have even gone by the name of Bendigo Breeders Crown.
    I loved the old days at The Showgrounds and Moonee Valley but I have also had some great nights in the Scotch Notch cafe at Melton
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Not like this.
    Is it little wonder why people continue to walk away.
    One participant gets 6 mths for TWO positives.
    Another gets 12 mths for ONE positive for the same drug.
    What am I missing???

+ Reply to Thread