Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lazarus to the USA

Hybrid View

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Gee, I thought Lazarus was a great horse - I must be wrong!

There is a gulf of difference in racing in two Miracle Miles and their lead-ups and going around Menangle week after week over a mile. If he were a run-of-the-mill free for all horse, he would probably have bettered his 1:49.0 record many times over. I reckon 1:49.0 from only 4 Aus starts over the mile was a pretty good endorsement for a stallion. He went 54.9 winning over the trip at Cambridge (jogging) at his only other start over the trip.

If "speed" is everything, you could mount an argument for most Meadowlands-based claimers. Put "Laz" outside them; they'd collapse! Don't go off on a tangent by dreaming up a knock on him, he was (and I say that only because he is spelling) the best pacer in the world.

aussiebreno
    Sucks for the sport in Australasia.

Has lacked the zip and the type of fitness required at the mile however he goes from being trained for NZ Cups and IDs to specifically for mile races so he may find that speed and type of fitness. Hope he does.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    Gee, I thought Lazarus was a great horse - I must be wrong!

There is a gulf of difference in racing in two Miracle Miles and their lead-ups and going around Menangle week after week over a mile. If he were a run-of-the-mill free for all horse, he would probably have bettered his 1:49.0 record many times over. I reckon 1:49.0 from only 4 Aus starts over the mile was a pretty good endorsement for a stallion. He went 54.9 winning over the trip at Cambridge (jogging) at his only other start over the trip.

If "speed" is everything, you could mount an argument for most Meadowlands-based claimers. Put "Laz" outside them; they'd collapse! Don't go off on a tangent by dreaming up a knock on him, he was (and I say that only because he is spelling) the best pacer in the world.
    I don't think he has any Southern knockers Trevor but you have to be fair and appreciate how hard it is going to be to get Americans to be interested in him unless he SMASHES the clock - even then they will put a knock on it not being as a juvenile
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I don't think he has any Southern knockers Trevor but you have to be fair and appreciate how hard it is going to be to get Americans to be interested in him unless he SMASHES the clock - even then they will put a knock on it not being as a juvenile
    Are you suggesting his new US owners have, based on the opinion of a few keyboard warriors, made a poor commercial decision? Haven't done their due diligence? Doubt it.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    Are you suggesting his new US owners have, based on the opinion of a few keyboard warriors, made a poor commercial decision? Haven't done their due diligence? Doubt it.
    It has nothing to do with any posters (keyboard warriors? You would seem to be the one in warrior mode). Of course I have no detailed info on the deal but I would say that it could never be a surprise to anybody to hear about a bad horse deal - come on Trevor this is the racing industry! The value of a deal is pretty much a matter of doing the sums and the numbers may make this deal a no brainer - based purely on the Southern hemisphere fall back option with the Northern hemi dream a bonus if it comes off. If it has to be a lot more than a bonus then we are talking about serious risk v reward stuff. Lazarus is a champion and it is hard to imagine him not smashing miles when trained exclusively for them but he also has to stay fit. The deal may be good enough for him to only need to win a few races and an American stud career seen as a pure bonus. Maybe the new owners have a big band of mares of their own but they might need to for surely you would have to concede that most Americans are pretty parochial when it comes to all things sporting
    Last edited by Messenger; 05-09-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread