+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Tis the season: 2018/2019 foals

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    THIS little darling is our first EVER chestnut standardbred. I cannot believe it - she is my instant favourite. Fly Like An Eagle - La Bliss. West Sired West Bred.

We don't know where the chestnut came from. There are no redheads on Bliss's Mum's side - in fact her granddam and great granddam were black. Blissfull Hall, while himself light coloured giving Bliss a lighter colouring, has no chestnuts. Fly Like An Eagle's Mother's sister has 1 chestnut sister but that's it even going back generations. It would be an odd throwback to get a chestnut from that line - I reeeeeally hope she stays chestnut.

44265606_1890137544397369_8365658069887090688_o.jpg

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Blissfull Hall threw a few Chestnut's.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    As Greg said Katie Blissfull Hall sired a few chestnuts and as you said Fly Like An Eagles grand dam threw a chestnut he obviously carries the chestnut gene as well. Don't recall Falcon Seelster or Mach Three producing any chestnuts so it's likely they were homozygous for bay and masked the chestnut gene being passed down through FLARs dam line. It is a recessive gene and a foal needs to get a copy from both parents to be expressed but it can go for quite a number of generations without being expressed. Somewhere back in both parents pedigree will be a chestnut horse and I don't think you have any worries about your new favourite girl remaining a redhead!

Senior Member Colt Big K will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Kevin Spurr
    Horses
    Bonavista Bay, Shoobees Place

Spurrs Stud

Born last night...Bonavista Bay x Kaluga Filly...sorry not sure how to get the pics bigger!!..please check them out on Spurrs Stud on Facebook.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Big K; 10-23-2018 at 06:21 AM.

Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    What a cutie!

Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Eesh we had another baby overnight.
    Bettors - Savannah Maguire colt

FB_IMG_1540395669014.jpg

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The Howletts and the Spurrs are flying the flag for WA

I checked the USTA to see if Bettors x Art Major was one of their golden crosses but what I did spot was how terrible the record is for Bettors x Somebeachsomewhere (only a sample of 10 mind you)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Big K will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Kevin Spurr
    Horses
    Bonavista Bay, Shoobees Place
    He's a ripper Kate!!..do you have more to come?..I have 3 all going well..that's to Rusty and a few more after that to P(Shooter)forty Seven. Kev I really love the creational side of breeding..following them through..hoping to get a good one..but even if they're like me..a bit slow...to give them the opportunity...

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Yes the West Australians doing a fine job, and the Westbred and double Westbred program is a good incentive.

I'd hazard a guess Kev, that the oldest of the BD/SBSW crosses are 2yos and perhaps SBSW is the only dam sire on that table where they are only 2yos still. It does look dissapointing but could change markedly in a year or two. There are a couple of other things on that table that standout more significantly to me. But of course there is the old adage, lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Like you said Dot, it is early days but American Ideal and Rock N Roll Heaven are looking promising with SBS mares
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread