Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Trainers and Drivers

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Surfin At Midnight's win at $51 in R1 at Shep tonight was Owner/Breeder/Trainer John Morris's first winner for 3yrs (not that he has had many starters since that last one)
    Surfin's name caught my eye this morning and seeing the winning odds and the same name for owner/breeder/trainer piqued my curiosity

I don't know John, but did a bit of research and although the Career Stats we can access only go back 20yrs (which is at least better than HRA's Trainer Chronicles, which only go back to 2012 - gosh HRA have let us down), John has been training much longer than that as his best horse Outer Limits had his first start in 92/93

Who can tell me more?
    There must be much more as his career stats say 109 wins (now 110) but the listed last 20yrs only add up to 34 wins when he seems to have mostly bred/owned and trained a few as a hobby. I imagine his listed Top Horses tell the story
    The first year on the list '2000/2001' shows he had 102 starters before it dropped off so his numbers were likely far greater last century

Tonight's win took his prizemoney over $500,000

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...23#SPC23052306

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/tr.../john-morris1/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    The first horse I recall John Morris training and driving was the good pacer Outer Limits, who made its debut as a 3yo winning a restricted race at Birchip in April 1993. He bowed ot 9 years later having recorded 27 wins and 35 placings. I am sure he had other horses prior to breeding Outer Limits. From the northside of the Murray at Barham.

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Great to see Kyle Marshall breakthrough for his first Aussie winner in race 2 at Shepparton tonight. Kyle recently upped stumps and relocated from Auckland to Cranbourne, bringing his star 3yo Son of Mac with him. Son of Mac was runner up to Merlin in the NZ Northern Derby at its last start - put him in you black book.

Gee, things must be crook in NZ if you reckon Victoria is a better option!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The last at GP tonight is a nice little earner of $18,225 for the Bonds as they train all 4 starters (and part own 3), they left $608 behind by scratching a 5th starter

https://www.harness.org.au/form.cfm?...rc=GPM02062302
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The first starter out of this lot is by Indomitable Saab (deceased), a stallion I had not picked up on before now.
    Infinite Merit will be only his 6th starter but he has the excellent record of 5 starters for 5 winners from 12 of racing age (including Infinite Merit) and an average of $92k per starter
    I am figuring they are all pretty much homebreds
    Infinite Merit is the 3rd Indomitable Saab from mare Never Waver Lombo, which means that after tonight this mare will account for half the stallions starters
    I don't think this percentage will change as she is also responsible for one of two yearlings from his last crop
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    The first starter out of this lot is by Indomitable Saab (deceased), a stallion I had not picked up on before now.
    Infinite Merit will be only his 6th starter but he has the excellent record of 5 starters for 5 winners from 12 of racing age (including Infinite Merit) and an average of $92k per starter
    I am figuring they are all pretty much homebreds
    Infinite Merit is the 3rd Indomitable Saab from mare Never Waver Lombo, which means that after tonight this mare will account for half the stallions starters
    I don't think this percentage will change as she is also responsible for one of two yearlings from his last crop
    Theyre not bad horses either! Very fast. I wonder if he had an accident or died through human means. Wish he'd had a chance with some other mares

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    The last at GP tonight is a nice little earner of $18,225 for the Bonds as they train all 4 starters (and part own 3), they left $608 behind by scratching a 5th starter

I had my horse in that race but didn't think we could compete against 5 stablemates. The handicappers are flooding the market with 2yo races which results in tiny fields and walk-sprint type racing. I think there was one planned for last monday, one tonight, one tomorrow, sunday then monday, tuesday, wednesday and then friday again. Only one or two races are standing up each week and none are ever full fields.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

I am not sure we could call this a race

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...23#GPM02062302

An example of why you should never have one stable races
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    I am not sure we could call this a race

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...23#GPM02062302

An example of why you should never have one stable races
    You shouldn't penalize one stable just because nobody else turns up. In reality, it is a reflection of dwindling horse stocks.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I see your point but we already heard how one trainer did not fancy taking on 5 from the one stable
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread