Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Trainers and Drivers

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    If you want to throw around 1000/1 then it is 500/1 for both horses as they either get Pitt or one of a thousand

They had better start printing a caveat with the fields and form, saying that they cannot guarantee they are accurate - even so a legal eagle may have a case if he/she backs the non Pitt horse today, believing that he was to drive it (as they are the official body that release the fields)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    If you want to throw around 1000/1 then it is 500/1 for both horses as they either get Pitt or one of a thousand

They had better start printing a caveat with the fields and form, saying that they cannot guarantee they are accurate - even so a legal eagle may have a case if he/she backs the non Pitt horse today, believing that he was to drive it (as they are the official body that release the fields)
    A) Official driver declaration time probably hasn't passed anyway. Not sure when exactly with Vic but NSW is usually an extra day after fields released.
    B) If he is down for 2 its obvious to the user anyway.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It should be obvious, unless someone is only interested in one horse checks the draw, checks the driver and is silly enough to then plonk on a bet
    I guess we will agree to disagree again
    I just cannot help but see it as misinformation - it is stating the impossible
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Wishing these young drivers a speedy recovery

https://nationaltrotguide.com.au/con...ter-car-crash/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown

I wish them well, too, but there is a bigger issue at play here. While PP raises the issue of how long Miller and Crossland had been "working" on the day - it is plausible they had started work at 8:00 AM and the crash (I won't call it an accident) occurred 18 hours later _ I believe the Tasmanian Transport Department investigators would be looking very closely at the scene.

The tow vehicle was a Ford Ranger dual cab, presumably a four-wheel drive. These vehicles are rated to "tow" a maximum of 3,500 kgs. They were towing four horses, so let's be generous and estimate each horse (and their harness, because we don't know) weighs 500 kg each. Maybe each horse weighed less, because trainer Ben Yole's training establishment is no showpiece and the horses were likely to be trained out of the paddock and a bit-light on.

So, deduct 2,000 kg from the 3,500 kg "tow weight" and we have 1,500 kg left. My 40-plus year old extended front, 2-horse float weighs 1,200 kg completely emptied. What do you reckon the weight of the 4-horse trailer the Ranger was towing was? I don't know, but somewhere around 1,800 kg minimum, probably more, is my guess. My old clunker's 300 mm extension in front of the axles adds 300 kg to the bog-basic model, so I am generous in my estimation. Whatever it weighs, just the combination of the float and four horses exceeds the "tow" capacity.

The "towing capacity" figure is rubbish, what investigators will be looking at is the Gross Combination Vehicle Mass (GCVM), the maximum total weight of the vehicle and trailer and, most importantly, the Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM). The GVM is the total weight of the tow vehicle, kerb weight plus passengers, luggage and accessories. Accessories includes that rather heavy black steel bull-bar on the front of the Ford ranger in the picture. So, presuming the five people in the vehicle were light weight and young trotting participants, I'd average them out at 65 kgs each - 325 kg, plus another 150 kgs for the bull bar and the seriously HD tow hitch which did its job admirably in a major collision.

Do the maths, the vehicle was well and truly overloaded. As an employer, Ben Yole can expect a visit from stern-faced Worksafe Tasmania inspectors. I think he will get his share of mental pain, which is nothing compared to the physical pain his young workers are experiencing.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Ben Yole is listed as a Kilmore trainer now according to the Form Guide although his Harnessweb address is Tas. His large stable would require quite a property. Does anybody know if he bought another trainer out?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Ben Yole is listed as a Kilmore trainer now according to the Form Guide although his Harnessweb address is Tas. His large stable would require quite a property. Does anybody know if he bought another trainer out?
    It's hard to find, because you would be looking for a large stable complex. You would be wrong. There is a good track and well-worn paddocks full of horses with rugs on, going by Google Earth. The property was last sold in 2013, no track to be seen in the real estate photos from that time.
    Last edited by Showgrounds; 02-02-2023 at 11:18 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Jockey Craig Newitt has set up a GoFundMe page for the injured

https://harnesslink.com/australia/su...ie-young-guns/

Laura Crossland, Cody's mum seems far happier with the Yoles than PP
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Bailey McDonough on $151 pop Small Town (overs) really stitched up dad Allan on $2.15 fav Imperials Reason at no sprint lane Ballarat tonight

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...23#BAC17022301
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Why didn't Kate Gath drive Tough Tilly on Saturday night at Menangle?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread