Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Vicbred Super Series 2019

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Oh come on boys Emma’s the trainer, and Clayton’s just another bloke trying to steal a woman’s thunder!!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    All men are b@$+@£#$
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
    I love racing and breeding my fillies and mares Rick. Have been doing it for 50 years and I am still passionate about my horses. Frustration and disappointment got to me when I searched for a race for Abbey . It’s been the same for decades but I agree smaller fields and races not standing up have highlighted and exacerbated the problem. Without racing opportunities and decent prize money many owners and breeders are walking away.
    As a breeder I feel the industry is in crisis. The upcoming change of direction from a leading Vic stud this season will have a huge impact on the small to mid sized breeders with added costs for all. Yabby Dam Farms have announced a substantial reduction in their participation and this comes from an owner who has made a major investment in the industry.
    I posed a question to David Martin recently regarding the NR of one of my horses and was told to give the system “time “ . I fear time is running out !
    Empires switch to all frozen semen stallion roster confirmed and pricing released. No change really for Captaintreacherous and SBSW who are booked out but I think breeders will vote with their feet for Betting Line (third season always difficult anyway) Heston Blue Chip and Well Said as pricing and incentives do not appear very favourable to breeders for the extra costs and risk involved with frozen semen.

Should be a “win” for studs providing fresh semen and better opportunities for locally bred sires ( particularly if HRV begin to support them as other states do) and an incentive for others to source frozen semen sires at better terms then offered by Empire.

Senior Member 2YO Bonnie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Anne Anderson
    Occupation
    Horse Breeder /Owner
    Horses
    Ladies In Red, Hurricane Harley, Honolua
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
    Thanks Kev. Pistol Abbey is an amazing mare ; just gets the job done in a very professional way. The enquiries are coming from US buyers , my head says Yes but emotionally my heart says No. She is only 4 but her racing career is very limited and I certainly don’t need another broodmare. There is one Open Mares race next week and no more until the Breeders Crown 4 year old mares on August 24 ( not even a lead up race for that ). I will not break her heart racing against the boys at the top level. Certainly there are early issues with the NR but programming leaves a lot to be desired. If you are a breeder a mare with a good track record adds value but it’s frustrating when the opportunities are not provided equally to both sexes.
    One of Australia’s best mares Soho Burning Love has been sold to the USA to continue her racing career. Owner says reluctant to sell but lack of racing opportunities for mares is the reason behind the sale .

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Conspiracy Theory: provide no mares races in order to force them into the breeding barn to improve horse numbers

Implausibe, I know, as it results in a -1 to the horse population and only turns positive if and when they finally produce 2 racing progeny
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    One big problem with that Conspiracy Theory is that the board doesn't seem to want people to breed horses. They are giving very little incentive to breeders.

My theory is the TAB and Labor government want Harness racing to die. TAB has plenty of racing and dog races, they don't need Harness racing with long races and false starts.
    Don't die wondering !

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Agree there’s not much incentive coming from HRV to breed. You might be right but does the Vic government really want to lose a $400m plus industry based predominantly in regional Victoria or is the message just not getting through to the right people in government? Tab may have plenty of gallops and dogs races but they don’t actually have enough to fill every minute of their wall to wall business model, so they do still need harness racing.

TAB could benefit from longer races if they activate their Betting Exchange license

+ Reply to Thread