Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast

Thread: Stewards News 2

Member Yearling Theoldfox will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Em C
    On a more interesting note, the stay of proceedings for one of "the team" was denied...

On 3 May 2023, the Victorian Racing Tribunal (VRT) heard an application by Mr Robert Walters for a stay of proceeding in respect of the four-month suspension imposed on him by the HRV Stewards pursuant to AHRR 168(1)(e) following Race 1 at Ballarat on 26 April 2023.
    On 5 May 2023, the VRT refused Mr Walters’ application for a stay of proceeding.
    Mr Walters’ suspension commences at midnight on Friday, 5 May 2023.

For reference, this was the race where he was suspended for rubber necking, calling out to his colleague that was driving a horse from the same stable to warn about a danger to the win that was getting out of a pocket...and then blocked that runner from getting out easily by veering into its path in the home straight....4 months is probably lenient given his track record. Perhaps he forgot that Ballarat is in Victoria and not Tasmania.
    Last edited by Theoldfox; 05-06-2023 at 02:01 AM.

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    It's a pity the stewards said months instead of decades.

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Theoldfox View Post
    To be honest I don't think that this constitutes any offence, particularly if prescribed by a vet. There are many drugs dispensed by vets that are branded/labelled for one animal but used on another. This is not strictly regulated. It happens that drugs labelled for humans (it usually means they are purer) are used on animals too. Levamisole is banned from competition (as is too much Bicarb soda!), if the trainer had no intention to race, there is no offence committed by him as far as I can see, it's not a restricted drug. It was good to see the stewards did the due diligence and didn't let this slip as coming from Ken Barron's treatment. It was waaaaay past the withholding period.
    It has nothing to do with being prescribed by a vet or not, the LAWS relating to agricultural and veterinary medicines prohibit the use of levamisol in equines. You do not go to a vet to get a prescription, just rock into your local rural merchandise store and grab it off the shelf. No questions asked, but never ask any questions because a properly trained salesperson might baulk if they get a hint you are buying it for horses. It is ILLEGAL to administer anything containing levamisole to horses. Withholding periods suggest Morris may have an appeal defence, if you believe the WHP has nothing to do with it then Morris must have administered it.

Barron submitted he administered Matrix-C to the horse on 15 November 2020, 12 days before the horse was cleared to NSW and 27 days before it returned the first of Morri's positives. Did Barron do this without notifying Morris? I doubt it but we'll never know.. Was it an innocent mistake on Barron's behalf? I find it implausible that a trainer with 18 years experience, had nearly 4,000 starters and trained nearly 500 winners would administer ANY veterinary product without reading the boody label! Especially the safety data sheet that says FOR CATTLE ONLY!

You state Barron has committed no offence and off-label use "is not strictly regulated". Wanna bet? Trainers will do this until they get caught, the a tonne bricks will fall on them. As I pointed out, administering levamisole to horses is ILLEGAL in both countries so your out of competition claim is complete rubbish and any stable inspection/ swabs taken by stewards during a routine or random stable inspection would have serious consequences for the trainer.

If you believe this is an honest mistake you need to read up on levamisole. HRNSW issued an Industry Notice to all registered participants, I believe in early 2019, advising levamisole is a prohibited substance (as in it is not registered by the AVPMA for horses) and had been detected to metabolise into performance enhancing and prohibited substances. Bingo.

It metabolises into aminorex. I've attached a US article about aminorex , make up your own mind why levamisole is banned. I have.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4077236/

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Ryan Duffy was on the favourite in R7 at Stawell today but he got double crossed and ended up 3 fence
    Coming into the home straight he was desperate and after thinking of trying to go wide he came back down and tried to go between the leader and the death horse. It was never on - the head on shot that you are unlikely to see in the replay confirmed what the side on shot suggested
    He was driving like a cowboy and potentially putting the lives of other drivers at risk if he tipped one of them out of their cart.
    We do not take this seriously enough. Looking at the stewards column - he only got a caution

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...23#SWC29052301
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    OMG Anthony Butt has to be in serious trouble over that drive to soften up the odds on fav by challenging and forcing a 27.2 Q2 in R8 at Melton

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...23#MXM03062305
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Nothing in the Stewards Column - unbelievable IMO
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Yearling Theoldfox will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Em C
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Nothing in the Stewards Column - unbelievable IMO
    I think that A Butt was trying to take advantage of all the work the favourite had done, given the circumstances there was a good chance that Pitt would hand up. It didn't happen, they both lost. This is racing and actually not the worst choice by A Butt. I agree with the stewards, not much to talk about (Though I can be the stewards biggest critic when they don't act on some days)

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Theoldfox View Post
    I think that A Butt was trying to take advantage of all the work the favourite had done, given the circumstances there was a good chance that Pitt would hand up. It didn't happen, they both lost. This is racing and actually not the worst choice by A Butt. I agree with the stewards, not much to talk about (Though I can be the stewards biggest critic when they don't act on some days)
    +1.
    Had they sat in indian file for 2 laps and an Emma Stewart favourite ran away last 400m in 27 flat we would be whinging about the boring leader dictated racing with no drivers showing any initiative.

It didn't work out but it wasn't the worst idea.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I don't disagree that it made for a more exciting race BUT AB made his move at the 1400m and persisted until the 1000m, already at this point we knew he could not win. 500m later he was gone with 500m still to go. By persisting for 400m, he gave his horse NO chance of even running a place. I did not have a bet but I ask you to watch the race imagining you were in the shoes of someone who had a bet on the fav or on Younggiftedandblack - how would you be feeling at the bell?

YG&B stuck on well despite being no chance a lap out

ps Check out the stewards report - I don't think I have ever seen such a scant report for a meeting

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/st...l/?mc=MX030623
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I don't disagree that it made for a more exciting race BUT AB made his move at the 1400m and persisted until the 1000m, already at this point we knew he could not win. 500m later he was gone with 500m still to go. By persisting for 400m, he gave his horse NO chance of even running a place. I did not have a bet but I ask you to watch the race imagining you were in the shoes of someone who had a bet on the fav or on Younggiftedandblack - how would you be feeling at the bell?

YG&B stuck on well despite being no chance a lap out

ps Check out the stewards report - I don't think I have ever seen such a scant report for a meeting

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/st...l/?mc=MX030623
    I don't think you should punish by the result. Punish by the decision. The decision was okay. He had a horse who had raced on speed with succuss its last 8 starts against a horse who has probably never really been tested to gas and re-gas. No issue getting on-speed and seeing what the driver would do if asked to be re-gassed.

+ Reply to Thread