Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Breeding Odds and Ends

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Hi Lorraine, what do you make of all the No Returns
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Wanting to clarify something here

'No Return' for a mare means that the breeder did not file a return and so we do no know if the mare - missed, slipped, foal died, or a foal was born but they have no intention of registering it

After another impressive win by Vacation Hill tonight I thought I would look up her dam to see if she has produced anything else of note and I see several years of No Return between Vacation Hill in 2016 and an Unregistered (as yet) colt in 2021

Is there a reason a breeder would not supply a return for the stud book or have I got this completely wrong

https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/...rSite&Arg=TRUE
    I thought no return meant they tried to get the mare in foal and it didn't

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    We need to find out Katie. I used to think that too but then thought that would have to be 'Missed'
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    John French, Registrations Officer HRNZ, very kindly promptly replied to my email and it is as I thought - NO RETURN means they haven’t been notified of the result of a service.

It would seem to me that examples such as that in post 21 could not happen in the Australian Thoroughbred Stud Book due to the following rule:

4.15 The Australian Stud Book cannot accept a Mare Return for a broodmare which has a missing return for the previous season and which has not been out of Australia during that period.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Shartin N has filly by Captaintreacherous
    What can be assumed to be the best-bred pacing filly in the world was foaled on Sunday (Feb. 13) when world champion and Harness Horse of the Year Shartin N gave birth to a filly sired by world champion and Pacer of the Year Captaintreacherous.

http://ustrottingnews.com/shartin-n-...intreacherous/

Exciting but Best Bred?
    If you take out Shartin ($2.5m) I am not sure Tintin In America has sired another winner of $200k (not one on ClassicFamilies at least)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Derby winner Leap To Fame sure does look the goods. He may be the one that convinces me that Bettors x Art Major mare is a good cross. I know it has produced Tall Dark Stranger and Max Delight but a couple more would be good. Art Major x Bettors mare could also do with a few more as at present Our Princess Tiffany is the only real standout
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    This article on Sepia Sands does not tally with the attached ClassicFamilies snip

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/art...-in-australia/

0 Offspring means 0 Classic winners
    His own record does not scream Sire
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    What happened to Huntsville US who served 205 mares for 130 foals for Empire Stallions in 2018-19?
    He is Back

https://www.harness.org.au/ausbreed/studs/COBBITTY.htm
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Only frozen available. Booked my little mare into him

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I noticed that after serving on average 150 mares for each of his first 3 seasons Captaintreacherous's book has halved for the last 3 seasons - ??? - Price or people steering clear of the hit or miss nature of Frozen semen
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread