Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Footscray Speedway on the Dudley Flats and some Gath history

Hybrid View

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Quote Originally Posted by PremiumEdition View Post
    Hi All, just on that track at Coode Canal, that was a yes, and also there was a training track in Kensington, which was situated between the City Abbatoirs and the Army Depot bordered by Hobsons Rd and Bayswater Rd, I lived in Bayswater Rd opp the track and on sunday mornings it was as busy as Bourke St Melb. now I am going back to around 1954 or 1955, I dont know if Trials were held there but it was a a popular training track used by George Gath when he was stabled in Kensington, others who I can remember were and some of the horses I recall were, George Gath (Bingen Redmond), Jack Bryant (Prince Regent), Arthur Gath (Medorina, which was a crack 2yo and was put down on the Showground track), Tom Taylor, (Wandas Son & Barmah Chief) Les Turner used the track there were many other who I just can recall, also Jimmy Dillon used the track breaking horses in. I am led to believe that the track was self made by a group of trainers and the MCC jumped on them and it was closed and used for sheep grazing for the Master Butchers from the next door Abbatoirs. Hope that shines some light on the conversation.
    That's great information Bob. Thanks so much for adding to what has been posted. The information about George Gath lines up with what Brian told me.
    Thanks so much.

Junior Member Yearling PremiumEdition will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Bob Berryman
    Good Onya Noel no probs, you may be able to settle a "friendly debate" between a couple of mates and I, I followed Brian Gath as a young man and I have been told I am wrong that Brians first Melb winner was a trotter named Corop McElwin, and further back to that one of his first drives if not the first was a trotter named Our Noble at Healesville on Cup Day 1959, in a race won by the great trotting mate Jenny, driven by Wally Townsend. If you can get some info from Brian on that it would be greatly appreciated. Regards Bob

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by PremiumEdition View Post
    Good Onya Noel no probs, you may be able to settle a "friendly debate" between a couple of mates and I, I followed Brian Gath as a young man and I have been told I am wrong that Brians first Melb winner was a trotter named Corop McElwin, and further back to that one of his first drives if not the first was a trotter named Our Noble at Healesville on Cup Day 1959, in a race won by the great trotting mate Jenny, driven by Wally Townsend. If you can get some info from Brian on that it would be greatly appreciated. Regards Bob
    Better late than never
    Noel found out the answer from John Peck

Brian's first competitive winner was Tobacco Smoke at the 1960 Royal Melbourne Show (defeating Opal Chief) in the "McGrath Trailers" Handicap

His first official winner was the trotter Minyip Wheat at Stawell on August 5th 1961. Minyip Wheat was owned by Pearl Kelly's brother Chris O'Brien and trained by Ivo Baldwin

His first metropolitan winner was also a trotter - Lockgorum at the Showgrounds on 20-01-1962

per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread