+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Albion Park,having a go!

Senior Member 3YO 2minuteman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly

Albion Park,having a go!

Just caught up with the news story about AP adding attractions at meetings to rev up crowds.Nice to see someone up off of their clacker and trying something.Any other clubs looking to do similar?
    Maybe Melton on Saturday nights as Fridays are traffically constipated.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    I've mentioned it before. Have a Black's a Fake theme night , with an appearance of the now retired champ. That should bring a couple of thousand through the gate. Photos , giveaways , proceeds to a charity.

As for Melton , keeping Melton for Friday nights is financial suicide , as far a track attendance goes. The only way , is for the directors to finally admit they made a mistake and start racing on Saturday night instead. How they ever considered that Friday night racing at Melton would be a success is beyond me.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    AND while I am beating my chest here :-) about Friday nights , for goodness sake will the directors of Menangle stick to Saturday nights. It's like a merry-go-round , one week Friday afternoon, next week Friday night , next week Saturday night , then back to Friday nights etc. etc. You never know where you are.

I know that it is often making way for provincial and country "major" Saturday nights , but Menangle is the No.1 track track in NSW ( well I consider in Australasia) and should be treated as such. Nothing against the competing NSW meetings , but lets have a bit of continuity.

triplev123
    One thi's for sure & certain...it's infinitely easier to get out there by post time for the 1st if it is on Saturday night. The end of the M5 on a Friday arvo/in the early evening is like driving into a 4 or 5 lane carpark.

Senior Member 3YO 2minuteman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly
    Agree with those sentiments in their entirety and while a theme night is all well and good, Menangle needs a theme that is constant and understandable by the potential audience that is available in the immediate area.Regrettably the powers that be show no sign that they are interested in winning new fans to the track.Nothing like a crowd track side to create an atmosphere.

Real Name
    David Summers
    Quote Originally Posted by 2minuteman View Post
    Agree with those sentiments in their entirety and while a theme night is all well and good, Menangle needs a theme that is constant and understandable by the potential audience that is available in the immediate area.Regrettably the powers that be show no sign that they are interested in winning new fans to the track.Nothing like a crowd track side to create an atmosphere.
    Right on Ron. Anyone who was there on opening day at Menangle, will have etched in their minds the memory of the crowd atmosphere and how many of the locals enthusiastically attended.

There is an enormous untapped population in South Western Sydney. How about HRNSW start actively promoting the track to the locals.

Speaking of "magic" crowd moments, who will ever forget the crowd noise , cheering etc. during Harold Park's final race ever won by Karloo Mick. I will take the memory of that night to my grave:-)

Banned 2YO ringman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hill
    Occupation
    Laying Horses
    Problem in all racing codes today is on course there is no atmosphere, all the characters that would turn up every meeting are gone its just a boring place on course now and easier to bet from home on betfair or the bookie of your choice.the days of 4 betting rings at HP and Bankstown being the place to get set for anything are over.what they call a big punter today was just your average bettor in the 70/80s you hear of blokes today who turn over 15k a meeting and think they are big punters when in those days the local tea leaves(thieves) would turn over more than that then you had the next bracket when drug money came on course.

They need to do something to get people back on course but i dont have the answer and i doubt they do either. but no matter what they do they must clean it up first or harness racing will die state by state and the first to go will be SA its just a disgrace at whats going on there.

+ Reply to Thread