+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Australia

Senior Member Colt Jasper will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    I agree with you re standing starts. We only have one per meeting usually unfortunately (two if there is a totters stand). Probably the best stand of the season that I know of (in WA) was won by Lamandier at Pinjarra which came of 20, galloped and got up late in a mile rate of 1.57.6 over 2600. Excellent race.

It will be interesting to see the number of nominations for the Lightening Lap races. Barring bad fortune our horse will be racing in the standing start race on the first day of the LL’s so I will see them first hand.

Wow re Freeman. Forgot how good she was.

Thanks for your response.

aussiebreno
    Mister Smartee $7win/$2.20 place for WA Derby. It seems a race in two with Never Ending. Those odds are juicy

Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    Interesting. I thought Lusaka and Mimi’s Beach were exceptional last night, especially Lusaka. They both seem to love the distance.

Like most mobile races at GP I suspect it will be barrier dependent, despite it being a 2500 mtre race.

If the barrier draw doesn’t go the way of the two favourites the Derby has the potential to be a wonderful spectacle.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    As a very young man I used to love the racing at the Melbourne Showgrounds and I like the small tracks of Stawell and Ararat near me but I look at GP and all I can think is how unfair it is
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    I think it has a lot to do with the 9/3 configuration of the barriers at GP. Our largest track Pinjarra has a 7/5 configuration ironically but for some reason the smaller GP track has the 9/3. This is especially relevant to 1730 races where if you draw 8 or 9 you more or less have no chance. Recently we drew 9 at GP, went back to last and ran second last (field of 10), beaten 12 mtres. Our horse however ran the fastest last half, of the race and it is the only time he has been unplaced in 13 starts for us.

So I don’t mind small tracks as such. One of the best races I have seen is the 2022 Williams Cup, a mobile race over 2600 hundred metres with ten starters on a 737 mtre track with a 78 mtre straight.It was on from the start with three challenging for the lead, mid race race moves and a wall of horses coming into the straight (well 5 anyway). The winner, Awaiting Instructions, came from second last at the bell!

The goal posts on the last bend aren’t a bad add on either (NZ have sheep on their infield, we have goalposts).

People often mention the Showgrounds but I haven’t seen any footage. Is there anywhere I can watch a race or two from that era?

Also Collie is on today, a 644 mtre track. I hope the drivers count the laps correctly. Last year a couple got suspended, I can see how as it is a little confusing in the longer races and the bell isn’t too loud, as far as I can recall.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Hard to find quality video of the old Showgrounds racing but this link is as good as any (being one of the last)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHXj4caZSY0

The date is wrong - this race was Jan 19, 1980
    I think this was the 4th last meeting held at The Showgrounds
    Not a bad crowd for an ordinary meeting
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    Wow. Stands all around the track, good crowd (by modern standards), horse comes from last to win, standing start.

Thanks for the link.

Also congratulations to the Whytes (and Donald Harper) re Jamie Kim’s win last night at Narrogin. JK won after 10 months away from the track after a fairly serious injury. A truly well deserved win for a lovely natured horse. Great work to get him back.

Junior Member Weanling halfyourluck will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Graeme Gourley

Showgrounds vision

For old vision, let's not overlook Kyle's efforts here- his youtube account link is here
    https://www.youtube.com/@kylegalley

Just some of the highlights with Showgrounds vision on Kyle's youtube page are:

ITG interview with Gordon Rothacker with vision of Minuteman's Showgrounds Inter - Gordon says the gates were closed before the first race. Stay watching for his Wedderburn anecdote.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVA1NzLniYA

Kyle's interview with Ted Demmler has Showgrounds footage plus Pure Steel at MV
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp4k...apoM8&index=15

Rare Movietone type footage of former top juvenile pacer Opal Chief and his trainer Keith Raw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIvc...UhGEXB&index=4

While it's not at the Showgrounds, don't leave without viewing Kyle's piece on the great Maori's Idol including the famous Qld Group 1 against the pacers when 2nd to Rip Van Winkle
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcKR...z6BY6&index=16

There are several other Showground's races as well, and even footage of the old Croydon training track.

His efforts are great, especially as I get the impression he is really a Greyhound man at heart.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Thanks Graeme, I had not forgotten Kyle's efforts - sadly 'Amlin' has not been seen on the forum for 4yrs
    Horrified to hear he may be a 'Dogs' man!
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    Brilliant channel (There goes the afternoon!). I’ll also be inventing a Time Machine, first stop Showgrounds 1979 and then Richmond Raceway 1980, Gloucester Park match race etc.

Thanks for posting the links.

+ Reply to Thread