Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Australia

aussiebreno
    We've already had a few <6 horse FFAs over the past 6 months.

Senior Member Colt Jasper will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    Hope there isn’t a scratching. I think that happened once this year and we were left with three horses in the race.

The four year old race may be interesting ie if Hoppys Way leads (disclosure - I co-own a starter, Lucca). If My Ultimate Ronnie gets to the lead that may be it.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Good luck Daniel - nice prizemoney
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    Thank you, we going to need it re luck (agreed re prize money - can pay for the smoochies if he earns)

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I bet he slept well last night.
    I hope the punters that had been on Wonderful when she was beaten 4 times at under $1.50 in her last 6 starts, got some of the $19
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    Well I hope no one jumped off re Wonderful to Fly - think everyone was blinded by My Ultimate Ronnie over here and he struggled in the last 100 or so (only beaten about 10 mtres mind you).
    Our horse pulled up better than me. I got some sort of virus (negative for Covid) and had my worse night at the trots (both due to the horse running last and illness) and am just starting to feel better. Saw the horse this morning and he seems very bright so fingers crossed.

Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    Small fields the order of the night again at GP. Only one race has a full field (i.e. the 9k race). Six horses in the FFA and 5 in the conditioned 25k race. December, in previous eras, used to be the premier month of racing ie leading up to Christmas! I can’t help but feel a little confused at the moment re many changes to race dates and names (especially with respect to the thoroughbreds). I for the first time had little interest in the Spring Carnival. One of the best races The McKinnon is now called the Championship (or something similar) and I completely missed the race (do we need another race with the word Champion in it!?). This is starting to occur in WA with the changes to the Pacing Cup and Fremantle Cup dates I feel with a slot race being the major focus of the current batch of administrators.

Apologies re whine, back to GP. The highlight for me is the return of Vultan Tin. Rising 12 year old, million dollar earner who recently won a trial in 1.55.8 and he will be having his 223rd start. Drawn 5 in the 5 horse race. Another interesting runner, earlier in the night, is Doc Holliday who is now in a new stable. He is always good to watch given his size and style of racing.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I know that he used to train and drive Soho Dow Jones and that Robert Watson still owns him but can you imagine flying in Michael Stanley to drive a horse in a big race for you

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...23#GPM15122303
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    Best I could do is an Uber, possibly (disclosure bit again re Nugget).

Albany season begins again on Friday night. About 5 years ago I attended an Albany meeting and had a really good time, despite not backing a winner.

Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    Brilliant night at GP last night, very good patronage (long line to get in). Not sure if they expected such a good crowd given that they had the same number of staff on the front gate. Great atmosphere, is there anything better than being in a racing crowd when the field comes down the straight for the last time and people start cheering for the horse they backed. You just can’t get that feeling on a phone or iPad. Great to see Vultan Tin win, given his age and status. More wins are in store given the conditioned racing system I suspect. Lavra Joe was impressive, his connections must have been greatly relieved to see him bounce back after his recent AF event in trials (quite distressing to watch).

Trikki Mikki was outstanding in the Nugget. My Ultimate Ronnie had no luck from the barrier. We went out o make our own luck and settled in the One by One only to be dragged back in the last lap, and then cop a slight check on the turn. Thrilling experience all round though just to have a runner in a Group One. Our trainer achieved our goal that I set around nine months ago so I am more than proud of that and how far Lou has come.

Even though there is a lot of negativity in the culture of harness racing at the moment (and I am guilty of this at times too), I can’t help but feel that the sport is primed for a revitalisation. It remains an exciting sport on the track, a way for families to either reconnect or remain connected and most of all a celebration of this wonderful and unique breed of horse that we are all richer for being around.

+ Reply to Thread