Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Australia

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Congratulations to Katie (KTQ) as her family/Dad won the $50k Diamond Classic at GP tonight with 3yo filly Brulee = Vincent x Russian Rocket
    I hope you got some of that $17 Katie

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...23#GPM19052303
    Ditto. An extremely consistent filly, her record from her last 12 starts is 3 wins, 5 seconds, four thirds. Three wide without cover for the last lap was a supper-tough effort, suggesting she is getting better with a bit of age. I've kept my eye on her since she was sold at the NZ on-line weanling sale, the three Vincent fillies sold all developing into nice 3yo's.

A good night for Vincent 3yo fillies with Vinette blowing her opponents away at Newcastle and Joan's Rising Star a tough maiden win at Addington.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    Ditto. An extremely consistent filly, her record from her last 12 starts is 3 wins, 5 seconds, four thirds. Three wide without cover for the last lap was a supper-tough effort, suggesting she is getting better with a bit of age. I've kept my eye on her since she was sold at the NZ on-line weanling sale, the three Vincent fillies sold all developing into nice 3yo's.

A good night for Vincent 3yo fillies with Vinette blowing her opponents away at Newcastle and Joan's Rising Star a tough maiden win at Addington.
    She sure is consistent. She was impressing early here in trackwork but fell off our radar a little. She's starting to get it together albeit with a nasty habit of switching off when she gets in front (case in point her Diamond heat) but Deni drove her like a charm and followed instructions to a tee. About a month ago I was telling Dad she'd been in work long enough, needed a spell and she had NO chance of winning the Diamond, let alone a country race and he laughed at me and told me she was going to win What a dumbass I am eh?

Alice, as we call her, has bad stifle lock unfortunately which doesn't help her cause but she's a beautiful natured girl. No nasty, sensible and trustworthy. The best kind of girl, and she now gets a ribbon browband

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Great stuff Katie. The three Vincent fillies bought at the NZ weanling sales were your filly, Stickifingers (from Kim Maguire) a first start winner in NZ and Turn The Page, who should have won her first start at Addington but locked wheels with the leader when she ducked out in the sprint lane. Expect to see her in WA shortly.

It's remarkable that all three have made the races let alone won or placed. The three of them required time and patience and, having received both, are rewarding their connections. A simple formula that doesn't work with all horses but seems to strike a chord with Vincent stock.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    From PP this morning
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Yes, the whole Gloucester Park land deal worried me from the first time I heard of it. I currently do a bit of work calling tenders and letting contracts for a WA organization, which has been my stock-in-trade for decades.

The refusal of the Committee to go to the market and see what the market has to offer reeks of nepotism and the valuation of the land - a short walk into Perth's CBD and surrounded by park land - always seemed the bargain of the century to me.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Yep, when you think about it - $10 million for 14 acres of river frontage is bloody ridiculous ($2m a yr for 5yrs way worse)
    You could not get 1 acre of Brighton beach foreshore for $10m
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    De Campo 3/3 on Magnificent Storm. Pity the switch wasn't made earlier.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    PP very critical of Chris Voak regarding the last race at GP on Tuesday
    but IMO if the stable fancy their other runner over the favourite (resuming) so be it
    One was backed into to $2.10 while the other drifted out to $1.80

What I am more critical of is the way that no other runner or runners went around the favourite who was angling for a sit when he found himself in the death. In that regard PP is right - the race was a boatie - the first 2/3rds of the race was a crawl. I am not familiar with the horses, so maybe they are as bad a lot as they seemed and not capable of better. The sit horse putting its foot into the sulky of the leader did not give us a chance to see if it might have been able to make an impression

The drifting favourite could have been expected to do better for although resuming it had won a SS trial faster than Tuesday's time (at the faster Pinjara track) and is a 2.5 sec faster horse than the stablemate

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...23#GPC13062311
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Jasper will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    In two weeks we are commencing a series of 1200 mtre races at Pinjarra, about 4 per meeting every two weeks. I would be interested in any comments about the recent Victorian experience especially with regards to participation numbers, room for improvement, impact on horses etc.

I watched a few replays from Melton and my immediate impression was that they don’t seem like a good look for the sport re quite a few drivers vigorously harassing horses to go faster/keep up a long way from home. Is this a good way to increase interest/revenue with the wider population or are we further damaging our social license of racing horses for sport?

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Hi Daniel, I find they are over too quick but that is what they (Sky) want. I remember with more affection the ultra long races that used to be run at the Showgrounds Melbourne than these sprints. We have had blocks of four 1200m races at a few Wednesday Melton meets of late but the 1200's have been around for a while as the following link shows

https://www.harnessracingforum.com/s...hlight=mercury

I cannot see how they would convert anyone to our code. IMO we need to bring back handicap races (Stand Starts are probably the only way) to make people marvel at the distances that the better horses can make up on the front horses. We all know of Cathy Freeman and the Sydney Olympics but for unforgettable you cannot beat a handicap - check out this link

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...a783186b7792e6
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread