Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Racing

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Half of the $75k per annum comes back for 5th to 10th so a smart deal for a slot holder would be $10k plus half of anything over $37,500 earnt ie 1st to 4th
    So it would only cost them < $50k which they are supposedly getting in publicity for whoever they are
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    The Taylor Mile at Alexandra Park tonight was a ripper, the opposite of last week's The Race. Blair Orange obviously expected his barrier 2 draw would make other drivers comply and allow Copy That to stroll to the front and dictate terms. Todd Mitchell on the rip-tearing Nicholas Cage didn't get the memo and challenged hard to run the first quarter in 26.7.

Orange then took the lead again as the pace slackened and got away with a second quarter in 31.1 as Self Assured was left to do the bullocking in the death. Akuta followed Bettor Eclipse from last through the third quarter in 29.6 while Self Assured turned up the pressure on Copy That upon straightening.

Self Assured got Copy That's measure with 100 to go while Akuta, given a good cart-up by Bettor Eclipse, peeled off them at the top of the straight and was able to put his whiskers in front of Self Assured in the last stride. Bettor Eclipse was huge a half neck away with another half neck to Copy That. The last quarter, on a slushy track, was run in a slick 26.4.

Some might say Copy That was unlucky. I'd say it wasn't a great drive but again proves my long held belief the horse is vulnerable when made to work. I stand by that.

PP, obviously peeved that he had done his dough on Akuta last week, launched into the Allstars stable and, in particular, Self Assured, this morning. Like he alludes, facts are facts and Copy That has the wood on Self Assured. A lot of this can be attributed to barrier draws (Self Assured drew the 2nd row in its past 3 starts) but, until the Cambridge mile a fortnight ago neither horse had run past the other. Self Assured has now done this twice in the past 3 starts. Make your own choice, I'd happily claim ownership of either.

What this race showed is the NZ Messenger, Roy Purdon Memorial and Auckland Cup in coming weeks are not foregone conclusions. Watch and enjoy this race on the HRNZ website

https://infohorse.hrnz.co.nz/datahrs...1789-race-7-dl

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Good race thanks to the early lead take, if Blair could do it again he might have surrendered more easily before taking it back.
    2nd, 3rd and 4th all better runs than the winner but that is poker - you do not need the best hand to win
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Just a 6 horse field (with 3 chances) for the Messenger FFA at Alexandra Park at 5.37 AEST
    while in the Peter Breckon Memorial the market does not think that Aldebaran Zeus is in the same class as Muscle Mountain ($1.20)

https://infohorse.hrnz.co.nz/datahrs...1801-race-5-dl
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    6 horse field did the race no favours - turned a 2700m race into a 800m sprint (53.1 last half)
    Natalie outsmarted them going to the front - or did Blair outsmart himself handing up
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    6 horse field did the race no favours - turned a 2700m race into a 800m sprint (53.1 last half)
    Natalie outsmarted them going to the front - or did Blair outsmart himself handing up
    I think Blair might have been more wary this week after Self Assured ground him down last week. Copy That got into an early war with Nicholas Cage, surrendered then took the lead. I've always argued this horse is suspect if he has to work early and is then pressured.

Self Assured is just so relaxed, as seen tonight when Chimmichurri tried to surprise him. As he has proven, he can win from anywhere on any track from any barrier in any company. Re-watch the NZ FFA if you don't understand what I am saying.

Real Name
    Trevor Brown

Since when has it been acceptable to punch a horse during a race?

Perhaps this should be under the Stewards'News thread, everybody needs to see this race and read the what Jonny Cox has been charged with. A terrible look for the sport, Cox deserves a long spell for this. It race 10 at Rangiora today, click on the "Show Stipes" box on the right, read the report, then watch the replay. I've never seen anything like it.

https://infohorse.hrnz.co.nz/datahrs...837-race-10-dl

I don't believe Kiwi Hero was about to jump into Cox's cart, I counted three whacks to the nose with his helmet around the turn and three punches to the neck and one to the chest by Cox's fist as the field entered the straight

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    What was he thinking? I cannot believe that anybody could be so stupid to think they could do that in a televised race, much less a veteran of nearly 8,000 drives!
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    What was he thinking? I cannot believe that anybody could be so stupid to think they could do that in a televised race, much less a veteran of nearly 8,000 drives!
    NZ stewards, adjudicate committes the call them, are even weaker than their Aussie counterparts when it comes to animal cruelty. Talk the talk but refuse to walk the walk.

What Jonny Cox did at Rangiora last Sunday was a disgrace and a blight on the sport. They heard his charge at Addington before tonight's races and gave him 50 lashes with a wet lettuce leaf.

Suspended for 7 days from 19th to 31 May! Kid you not. Animal activists, if they had a brain to share, should be up in arms over this.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    That is so embarrassing for our sport
    So often administrators/stewards/participants/fans just don't get it
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread