Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Racing

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Yes the grandam has been a super producer of 16 foals now

https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/...rSite&Arg=TRUE
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Akuta kicked off his 3yo season with a 1.51.8 win in a Free For All
    No surprise for anyone who saw his 2yo Jewels win
    Worth another look

per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown

First 2yo race of the season in NZ

Alexandra Park hosts the inaugural juvenile race for 2022 on Friday, race 7. See www.hrnz.co.nz and select Fields.

Three runners are from the Ray Green stable, two from Tony Herlihy's. Herlihy's pair, drawn 1 and 7, have been impressive at the trials with #7 (Seve, a colt by Vincent) having beaten 3 year olds in the Pukekohe workouts while technically a yearling. He did all the work rating 2:00.1 in a trial last Saturday and appears well advanced.

The race name could well prove ominous for the Ballarat Cup Saturday night.

Self Assured resumes in the last race and should be far too good for the other five runners. He will be staying home this season thanks to NZs heavy handed restrictions on humans re-entering the country.
    Last edited by Showgrounds; 01-19-2022 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Issues with link

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Seve gives first season sire Vincent bragging rights as the first 2yo winner for the new season. Self Assured as impressive as ever winning the last at Alexandra Park coming home in 54.5 in the death untouched with his ears pricked.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Our forum 'Users Online' numbers have to be rubbish
    Right now it says 219 online (but I am the only member)
    34 on the New Zealand board
    the NZ board last had a post a year ago and that was just a Harnesslink News link
    The last actual Member post was 4 years ago

I hope the 34 are enjoying themselves LOL
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I am about to watch the replays of last night's Harness Millions night at Alexandra Park
    I was alerted to what I missed by reading in PP's blog (albeit too late) that that is what we should have been watching last night if we were sports lovers
    I have to say I have cheated and looked at the results to see what I missed
    On face value only 6 races with one a 3 horse field and another a 5 horse field with five of the races containing a < $1.30 fav doesn't seem to match "this is harness racing at its absolute best"
    but maybe that is what you get when the very best are going around (two were beaten mind you)

https://infohorse.hrnz.co.nz/datahrs...s/021202rs.htm
    Last edited by Messenger; 02-13-2022 at 06:58 PM. Reason: five of the races not all
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It was a great battle between Bolt and Sundees in R1. I don't think it is fair to suggest it was a 14 length form reversal by Sundees (PP). Vastly different draws/starts, different track, different distance, different way of going. PP has a thing about Robert Dunn, suggesting he gains some sort of 'magic' training down at Woodend Beach

Vincent's Seve was the run of the race in the 2yo, only beaten ½ a length after missing the start by 5 lengths. I wonder what he would cost? The owner/breeders have sold all the dams other progeny

Bettors trifectas the 3yo Colts Millions with the 100/1 pop getting up in a 4 way finish (he also sired the winner of the fillies)

And what a great sprint Self Assured has, even on a wet and windy night
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Seve looks an outstanding prospect. The brother's in law B Purdon and A G Herlihy both believe they have the best 2yo. I don't think Seve will be coming here, Merlin is part owned by Montana Park (Dean Shannon).

I've always rated BFB the most exciting trotter in NZ, always had to do it on its own. In the sprint they ran home in 26.6 yet Self Assured peeled off their backs at the top of the straight and gave the leaders windburn. It's a rare thing to see horses in open company sprint that quick given the speed they were going. A six year old with only 36 starts under his belt, 22 wins is even more impressive when you add 10 seconds and three thirds to his record. He has clearly regained his title as NZ's best pacer.

The colts and geldings Harness Millions was a boilover and casts doubt over Akuta's perceived dominance. Interestingly, True Fantasy won the fillies race in a jog yet her overall time was 2.9 seconds quicker than the boys! One start into the new season and she has already earned in excess of $360k! After 13 race starts she has a record of 8 wins and 5 placings, superior to Amazing Dream at the same stage of their careers. The Queen may have gone to the US but a new princess is wearing her old tiara.

Certainly we saw some great horses in action last night.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    PP has his doubts about some of NZ's participants and I must admit I am not convinced about the drive on Will He Rock in R7 at Timaru yesterday
    They still list him as starting favourite but PP's pic suggests the winner No.1 was backed right in to fav
    You have to wonder why WHR went back to the fence when looking like he was going to finish on despite having gone to the death at the bell
    Look closely at the driver to see if he even wanted 3rd which he also managed to lose

per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    PP has his doubts about some of NZ's participants and I must admit I am not convinced about the drive on Will He Rock in R7 at Timaru yesterday
    They still list him as starting favourite but PP's pic suggests the winner No.1 was backed right in to fav
    You have to wonder why WHR went back to the fence when looking like he was going to finish on despite having gone to the death at the bell
    Look closely at the driver to see if he even wanted 3rd which he also managed to lose

I happened to watch this one early this morning and made a mental note that it was a red hot drive. Naturally, the stewards said the horse hung in in the home straight! If it did it was from the driver hanging on to its head! Dunn had the full length of the straight to pull out and have a crack but chose to drop down to the fence, not use the whip or even chase the horse up.

I note PP shows the all-important betting fluctuations. The winner shortened from $5.50 to $2.20, Dunn's horse blew from $2.10 to $2.70. Go figure.

+ Reply to Thread