Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Racing

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    At $4.50 Rock N Roll Doo seems incredibly short for the NZ Cup when it is only his second start from the stand and having missed away at his first.
    He has drawn the two spot on the second line and will follow out Majestic Cruiser

https://harnesslink.com/new-zealand/...-field-is-set/
    Too right. $4.50 is gross unders. I wonder how much difference in the NZ market.

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Connections are upbeat with him winning a 3 horse trial. Winning a 15 horse race appears a tad harder.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Yes, no doubt he is fitter but I would want him to have drawn 2 and to be confident of him getting away to contemplate those odds
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Tune in about 3.30 tomorrow for the NZ Cup
    Two Aussie hopes in No.2 Majestic Cruiser ($17) and No.13 Rock N Roll Doo ($5)
    Both have question marks beside their names regarding the Stand Start but if I had to pick one I am going the Cruiser with the better odds and better draw although I think Doo is the better horse

https://infohorse.hrnz.co.nz/datahrs...975-race-11-dl
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    I would be tuning in for the entire meeting because it is the best day of racing for the year in Australasia. The Cup field is the strongest in many years, the 2yo Sires final will be a stunner, the Nevele R final might yet reveal me to be an astute judge and every race is top-notch.

Senior Member Colt Yabbie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Carol Bass
    Occupation
    Paralegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    I would be tuning in for the entire meeting because it is the best day of racing for the year in Australasia. The Cup field is the strongest in many years, the 2yo Sires final will be a stunner, the Nevele R final might yet reveal me to be an astute judge and every race is top-notch.
    Definitely a day to be a lounge lizard watching NZ Cup Day. It is a fabulous day's racing. Sky 1 coverage - they've already done a 1 hour preview (Box Seat) and have another one coming up at 10am (NZ time) with Brittany Graham. Tape is running for me as I'm working (otherwise I'd be there in person!)
    Last edited by Yabbie; 11-08-2022 at 10:53 AM.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Rock N Roll Doo - what a total waste this exercise has been. Maybe Mick Stanley needed to find some wiser old heads to teach him how to get away BEFORE embarking on this pointless pursuit
    Very admirable effort by the Cruiser, one ahead of him in the 3 wide train was not up to it down the back, otherwise he may have done even better
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Rock N Roll Doo - what a total waste this exercise has been. Maybe Mick Stanley needed to find some wiser old heads to teach him how to get away BEFORE embarking on this pointless pursuit
    Very admirable effort by the Cruiser, one ahead of him in the 3 wide train was not up to it down the back, otherwise he may have done even better
    MS was very good at talking the talk pre-race but copped a large dose of NZ Cup reality when the starter said go. It is an affliction that has affected many Aussies over the years. 3:54 for the 3200 stand will do that, hats off to Copy That and Ray Green. I was concerned for the horse when he was in Australia.

The stewards report should be interesting to read. Majestic Cruiser was gallant in second while the run of the beaten brigade was Self Assured. He looked like he was ready to take off around the turn only to cop a bad check and almost break. He still sprouted wings once he got down and dragged a flat tyre to the line. Krug? Welcome to the big time Carter Dalgety, no favours given to the kid so three-wide, parked and punctured. I've felt for a long time that South Coast Arden was nowhere near the horse he was twelve months ago and, regretfully, he confirmed my thoughts. Very ordinary at Ashburton and terrible today, his connections have a lot of head scratching to do.

The other races have been terrific all day. One of the best drives you will ever see by M Purdon on Don't Stop Dreaming to win the 2yo Sires final with the hugely talented Sherlock, who can be a bit like a 17 year old boy thrown the keys to a Falcon GT-HO at this stage of his career, rocketing home to be beaten a neck.

True Fantasy was back to her very best which is far too good for any other three year old filly to romp home in the Nevele R final. Her mate Queen of Diamonds was heavily backed to beat her (guilty as charged) but broke and tailed out in the score-up. Perhaps she will bring her best to the NZ Oaks. The win was Jean Feiss' 4th win in the past six runnings of the race with Spanish Armada, Elle Mac and Amazing Dream being the others. All four have been plucked from the yearling sales. Luck only plays a small part, a great judge of horse I would say.

Only the best fillies win the Nevele R, check out the winners over the past decade and tell me which ones you wouldn't want in your paddock with a foal at foot.

https://infohorse.hrnz.co.nz/datahrs...jor_race10.htm

Republican Party (an omen bet if you are a US citizen) shape as the main danger to Akuta in the Derby and looks a sure thing to be the next best thing next Cup day on the way he won the Junior FFA. Even old Heisenberg trumped in at $58 with a terrific win in the race before the Cup. I thought he was going to be a pretty good horse three years ago and he looked a winner on the 2019 Cup day before Amazing Dream came via cape to blouse him and stamped her true class. I stopped him, it was only his second win in 25 months!

I'll get there one year. Next year, maybe.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    A good drive by Purdon but giving up the lead to rely on the sprint lane should happen every meeting, I reckon it happened more when the sprint lanes first appeared as it was seen as a positive for leaders to do this
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Feel sorry for anybody that took under $20 RnR Doo.

+ Reply to Thread