Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why aren't owners revolting over $4,500 races in Vic

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I know NSW/Menangle Club has lots of money but I don't think Vic are so skint that we have to have them either - they are just a carry over from when we had nothing but an accountant as CEO
    Irks me that stables equally putting on the show are expected to work for below award wages
    Pretty soon Menangle will not have any races below $10k even on a Tuesday, at Melton we can have whole programs of $4,500 races - Headquarters LOL, sounds more like Bottomhalf to me
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    I think those two horses I mentioned done better collecting something out of $4k than collecting nothing out of $7k. As for also rans/outsiders if they are unfancied/cant do well in $4k races how are they going to do well in $7k races.

Also, whats wrong with accountants ����

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    You know what I mean, he was a number cruncher and nothing more
    We supposedly don't have an abundance of horses so if all races are $7k (with conditions) I think that there is a fair chance those horses will end up in similar races
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Yearling Theoldfox will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Em C
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    I think those two horses I mentioned done better collecting something out of $4k than collecting nothing out of $7k. As for also rans/outsiders if they are unfancied/cant do well in $4k races how are they going to do well in $7k races.

Also, whats wrong with accountants ����

This is a false argument, the races are ratings based and horses need to be nominated whether it's for 4.5k or 7k. If the rating keeps dropping they'll eventually end up in a competitive race irrespective of prizemoney. The product the industry sells to the betting public is the same no matter if the race is 4.5k or 7k or even 10k for that matter.

If there isn't some meaningful reforms Victoria will end up on the path to South Australia's 2k races. Winning doesn't even cover the month's training cost. Justifying 4.5k races as better for lower class is no solution in my opinion. It is akin to claiming that the minimum wage should not exist, that unskilled workers should be happy to get paid $5 an hour because it's better than nothing. Surely we can do better that this.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Theoldfox View Post
    This is a false argument, the races are ratings based and horses need to be nominated whether it's for 4.5k or 7k. If the rating keeps dropping they'll eventually end up in a competitive race irrespective of prizemoney. The product the industry sells to the betting public is the same no matter if the race is 4.5k or 7k or even 10k for that matter.

If there isn't some meaningful reforms Victoria will end up on the path to South Australia's 2k races. Winning doesn't even cover the month's training cost. Justifying 4.5k races as better for lower class is no solution in my opinion. It is akin to claiming that the minimum wage should not exist, that unskilled workers should be happy to get paid $5 an hour because it's better than nothing. Surely we can do better that this.
    There is still some races for $7k at those ratings. True their ratings go down but this fast tracks to find a suitable race rather than waiting for it to "eventually" go down. A NR50 $7k race will likely be stronger than a NR50 $4k race. Plus they only go up 2 pts if they win so they don't go straight back up to an unwinnable rating.

I'd love for top class to be $50k, mid class $40k and bottom class $30k so no min wage debate here, just that theres a spot for the bottom class.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Connections putting on the show on Sunday night of a long weekend are all racing for $4,500 bar one race
    Those poor gallopers putting on the show at Swan Hill today (for the 3rd day in a row) have a $175,000 Cup and most of the other races for $50,000
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    There is an $80,000 race at Flemington - those poor owners - every other race is $130k, $150k or $200k
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Just read the prizemoney increases in the Gallops. Wow!!.
    A picnic race is $7 grand !!
    Wonder if harness will follow...hmmmmmm

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Nearly half the program at a Tuesday night Kilmore meet for only $4,500 - so not good enough

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...s/?mc=KI160822
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I think they are on the increase as there are another 3 at Shep tonight

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...s/?mc=SP170822
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread