Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Always watch betting moves

Junior Member Foal peterlambert will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Peter Lambert

Angry Always watch betting moves

Isn't it interesting.....you have a race with an odds on favorite who is drawn to lead and only one other runner backed. What do you think transpires?????

Check out race 6 at Menangle on 24 May. The 1.40 odds on favorite (Yankee Ideal) clearly wins the start but is attacked all the way by Robert Morris's horse (Will I Am), the drifting second favorite who stated at 6-1.

The classic scenario unfolds. Yankee Ideal has to eventually surrender the lead and sits up in the death from the 800 so not to get boxed in by a tiring horse. It bravely hits the lead at the top of the straight only to be piped on the post by the well backed Shanocon (who previously had not won in over 25 starts, so it really had no form to be backed in to 7-1.

Oh where did Will I Am finish....a tailed off last (beaten by 2 horses starting at 80-1, one who started at 120-1 and one who started at 150-1)!!!

And the stewards action over the Robert Morris drive....stay tuned!!

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...22#MEC24052210
    Last edited by Messenger; 05-24-2022 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Date - May, and provided link

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I would hope you are right Peter but at this point there isn't even a QDT after Will I Am, just Run Queried and VXAR
    We saw another <27 Q1 in the next and once again the leader compounded

Junior Member Foal peterlambert will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Peter Lambert

Always watch betting moves

Of course there will be no action. Just about what you expect from the stewards really.

My point is that (sorry if I am being repetitive) if Will I Am was genuinely trying to win the race it would have simply dropped straight in behind the 1.4 fav (a horse with G1 form) and hope to get a run in the straight and outsprint it to the line. Instead it spent the first 800 attacking for a lead that clearly was not up for grabs. No wonder it was well beaten by 4 horses whose odds on average were in excess of 100-1

The only conclusion you can draw is that Will I Am was only trying to bring the fav undone for something else, particularly as it went from 4.5-1 to 6-1 in the last couple of minutes before the race

And that someone else was Shanocon who was backed in late (when they crossed to the caller just before they jumped he commented that it was the only horse in the race that had been backed), despite having fairly ordinary form couldn't even win at Goulburn). It was "restrained" at the start because it knew what was about to unfold.

So there is no point doing form, speed maps and the like. Wait till the last minute or so before the race as the money will tell you what is about to unfold.

As the saying goes, its only a rort if your not in on it!!
    Last edited by peterlambert; 05-25-2022 at 01:05 AM.

+ Reply to Thread