Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vic Cup Carnival including Derby and Oaks

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Captain Ravishing was originally knocked down to A.Portelli for $80k at the 2020 APG yearling sale. I bet they wish they had completed the sale
    Earlier this year he was listed as racing for APG
    It would be interesting to know he landed with Hassan Taiba
    A person at the sale saw the horse knocked down to a person who may have born a strong resemblance to Mr Taiba.

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Bondi Lockdown last in the Smoken Up - his run only lasted 100m.
    He isn't a shadow of the horse we saw back in Feb
    If the Victoria Cup were a dinner menu and I was appraising it my comments would be:

Lochinvar Art - burnt beyond recognition
    Bondi Lockdown - overcooked
    Copy That - was expecting something rare but served up well and truly done.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    A person at the sale saw the horse knocked down to a person who may have born a strong resemblance to Mr Taiba.
    What do you mean Trev?

Am I just being thick and you mean "my cousin's friend's boyfriend once ......"
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Messenger; 10-02-2022 at 01:32 AM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    What do you mean Trev?

Am I just being thick and you mean "my cousin's friend's boyfriend once ......"
    Oh, it's so simple.

The horse was sold at the APG sales to a man, or woman, that looked like it's current owner. Obviously it wasn't him or her because the APG recorded the sale to A. Portelli. A. Portelli could have been representing Australian Pacing Gold as that company was the owner when the horse won its first three starts when trained by A. Taiba. Never having raced a horse previously APG may or may not have been advised to send the horse to the brother of the bloke / chick who resembled the person the horse was knocked down to. Are you still with us Kev?

Perhaps the original trainer's brother punted the hell out of the Captain the first three starts and, realising APG had at least 14 horses the same age a buyer had welched on, made the company an offer it couldn't refuse. A little like throwing a rope to a person up to their shoulders in quick sand. No doubt all parties are suitably delighted with the outcome.

That's my simple view of it.

aussiebreno
    Bondi Lockdown last in the Smoken Up - his run only lasted 100m.
    He isn't a shadow of the horse we saw back in Feb
    That was hard to watch.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    Oh, it's so simple.

The horse was sold at the APG sales to a man, or woman, that looked like it's current owner. Obviously it wasn't him or her because the APG recorded the sale to A. Portelli. A. Portelli could have been representing Australian Pacing Gold as that company was the owner when the horse won its first three starts when trained by A. Taiba. Never having raced a horse previously APG may or may not have been advised to send the horse to the brother of the bloke / chick who resembled the person the horse was knocked down to. Are you still with us Kev?

Perhaps the original trainer's brother punted the hell out of the Captain the first three starts and, realising APG had at least 14 horses the same age a buyer had welched on, made the company an offer it couldn't refuse. A little like throwing a rope to a person up to their shoulders in quick sand. No doubt all parties are suitably delighted with the outcome.

That's my simple view of it.
    As a moderator I certainly appreciate that one has to be Very careful of what they post.
    Daylight saving switch always knocks me around But I am definitely not with it (we now even have a chick as a possible bidder!)

What I don't understand in this hypothetical, is if the said horse was knocked down to a person 'representing' A.Portelli or the APG who looked like the current owner ...
    Nah, I just don't get how A.Portelli is involved - it is not a fictitious name - it is a licensee's name

It would certainly be strange if a brother of the original trainer was the actual bidder on behalf of A.Portelli and it fell through, you would not think APG would be giving the horse to his brother to train
    Unless the brother had the horse at his stable since the sale and the APG had not reclaimed the unpaid for horse.
    But you would not think the APG would allow it to race IF they were planning on reclaiming him like they did for other unpaid for horses
    Maybe he was partially paid for?

Wait a minute, I remember that one of the owners of an A.Portelli purchase told me they were paid in full by APG but then again maybe all payments are going to say APG

Do the APG accounts show that they received prizemoney for those first 2 wins
    It would all make more sense if A.Portelli was bidding on behalf of the current owner
    Too tough a hypothetical for me
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    I only had too wait a little under 24 hours for my suspicion about Copy That to be confirmed:

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/art...t-for-vic-cup/

Just like Lochinvar Art's "virus", before they pushed on with his campaign and blew a poofer valve. These "minor" issues continue to be only a hair's breath away from a catastrophe. Fingers crossed for the horse but these issues when combined with a ho-hum performance rarely have a happy ending.

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    And the inside story. Lasix, anyone?

https://www.lincolnfarms.co.nz/stori...r-minor-bleed/

Interesting that a number of horses had hair samples taken for testing last night. Long term substances can be detected in the follicle, it seems HRV is getting fair dinkum.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Yes, I noticed the HT hair test next to quite a few Trev.
    As for Copy That. People claim that those in the industry love the horses
    I reckon half of them only Like horses and Love money more
    What has happened to erring on the side of caution - which has to be what is best for the horses
    I am becoming very disenchanted - I suppose the word 'industry' is half the explanation
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    In many ways our crowded Group One and feature race calander will contribute to te attrition rate of our top horses. The point Ray Green makes about so many horses having blood in their lungs is valid but advocating for lasix will not necessarily alleviate the problem. And he is dreaming if he thinks that will happen.

This horse had one start in NZ after a nine-month injury enforced spell prior to its well publicized tour of duty being announced. Over to Victoria for the Victoria Cup, fly to Christchurch for the NZ Cup and FFA then fly back to Melbourne for four runs in fourteen days in the ID. Lochinvar Art was pencilled in for the same races. All fine in concept.

Then, things didn't progress so sweetly. Lochinvar Art had a first-up gut-buster over the sprint trip, the winner (Torrid Saint) rating 1:51.7 which would have given his lungs a fair workout. A fortnight later the horse runs poor eighth having used all its petrol by the apex of the home turn. A day later the stable announces the horse had a lung infection but they pushed on, raced the horse (which may have set a world record for recovery) two weeks later. The horse blew a poofer valve and has run his last race on our shores.

Copy That’s preparation is not much different but with less severe consequences- so far. A gut buster first up saw him beaten 21 metres in the Gp1 Caduceus Classic but a soft run on the busted Lochinvar Art's back saw him win the following week. The stable boasted in days after the race the horse had an elevated white cell count.

https://www.lincolnfarms.co.nz/stori...m-on-saturday/

See any similarities to the Lochinvar Art disaster yet? And then came last night. Oh dear.

Also note the Allstars Stable have no horses nominated for the Inter-Dominion. The scheduling and stakes don't make it an attractive option. With the NZ Cup ($600k) and NZ FFA ($200k) six weeks away the stable's old stagers Spankem and Self Assured ran second and third first up on Friday night. Both were nice runs and not gut busters.. in the new year there will still be the Hunter Cup and Miracle Mile to be set for.

Unfortunately all these carnivals crammed into two months tend to cloud judgement and owners and trainers all get stars in their eyes. Or dollar signs. The only thing harder than managing horses is managing expectations.

+ Reply to Thread