I got my catalogue and homework assignment on Sunday. Only 677 lots to go through. How are APG going, did I hear somebody ask?

Downbytheseaside, in my opinion, is a sire with a lot of upside. Unlike Captain T's, they are not up and going, rip-tear early types and appeared to improve as the season wore on. In NZ Aardybytheseaside (top filly) and Sinbad (gelding) are good examples. If you want to play the long game and give horses time to mature I'd look at the Auckland sale, lot 36. A half-brother to Chase Auckland. If you think he will be expensive I note the breeder has failed to nominate him for any futurities, not even the NZ Sires Stakes, but he is eligible for the $200,000 sales series (Harness Millions). I'd be leaving him in NZ for his early career then look at bringing him over here. Failing to pay up for futurities may mean he is toxic to NZ buyers. He is not the only one, the consignor has six others in the same boat. These include another well-bred Downbytheseaside, a pair of Sweet Lou's, a pair of What The Hill's and a Father Patrick.

Bargains to be had if you buy for the long term and not to flip.

Your standout, Kev, is one I've passed on. If anybody thinks Bettors Delight's are in short supply there are 33 of them in Auckland. They are all quality too, with full relations to Ultimate Snier, Ultimate Machete, Bettor Twist and Bollinger, a half-brother to King of Swing, etc. At Christchurch, there are another 40 BD's. I wonder what lot 240 will bring, bred on that golden cross? She is a full-sister to Amazing Dream and Chase The Dream, should attract a few keen buyers. Lot 199, a full brother to Akuta, might be beyond my means.

Alabar certainly is pushing Captain Crunch hard. he only has 8 in the Auckland sale but these include yearling from outstanding racehorses The Orange Agent and Elle Mac. At Christchurch, he has outdone the immortal Bettors Delight with 44 yearlings, It's fair to say 2024 will be crunch time for the Captain.

Reading the catalogue is the easy bit, eh?