Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nutrien Sales 2023

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    I got my catalogue and homework assignment on Sunday. Only 677 lots to go through. How are APG going, did I hear somebody ask?

Downbytheseaside, in my opinion, is a sire with a lot of upside. Unlike Captain T's, they are not up and going, rip-tear early types and appeared to improve as the season wore on. In NZ Aardybytheseaside (top filly) and Sinbad (gelding) are good examples. If you want to play the long game and give horses time to mature I'd look at the Auckland sale, lot 36. A half-brother to Chase Auckland. If you think he will be expensive I note the breeder has failed to nominate him for any futurities, not even the NZ Sires Stakes, but he is eligible for the $200,000 sales series (Harness Millions). I'd be leaving him in NZ for his early career then look at bringing him over here. Failing to pay up for futurities may mean he is toxic to NZ buyers. He is not the only one, the consignor has six others in the same boat. These include another well-bred Downbytheseaside, a pair of Sweet Lou's, a pair of What The Hill's and a Father Patrick.

Bargains to be had if you buy for the long term and not to flip.

Your standout, Kev, is one I've passed on. If anybody thinks Bettors Delight's are in short supply there are 33 of them in Auckland. They are all quality too, with full relations to Ultimate Snier, Ultimate Machete, Bettor Twist and Bollinger, a half-brother to King of Swing, etc. At Christchurch, there are another 40 BD's. I wonder what lot 240 will bring, bred on that golden cross? She is a full-sister to Amazing Dream and Chase The Dream, should attract a few keen buyers. Lot 199, a full brother to Akuta, might be beyond my means.

Alabar certainly is pushing Captain Crunch hard. he only has 8 in the Auckland sale but these include yearling from outstanding racehorses The Orange Agent and Elle Mac. At Christchurch, he has outdone the immortal Bettors Delight with 44 yearlings, It's fair to say 2024 will be crunch time for the Captain.

Reading the catalogue is the easy bit, eh?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Don't you agree that 485 is the standout of the Bettors ordinary Melbourne offering?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Don't you agree that 485 is the standout of the Bettors ordinary Melbourne offering?
    Mate, I'm still working my way through the NSW lot. Doing my head in!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    These are the ones from Sydney that I could be enticed into taking a share in and pretty much don't require justifying

7 Captaintreacherous Lots 33, 51, 142, 145, 183, 197, 203

Only 2 Bettors grabbed me Lots 44 and 107

Only 1 Art Major = Lot 132

3 Sweet Lou's Lots 13, 73, 206

and 1 Somebeach while he is still around Lot 192

Downbytheseaside is somewhat lucky to be on my list of Sires and only because of his US results (He only had 24 2yos on the ground in Oz with 3 winners from 10 starters)
    But I could not find a Sydney yearling whose pedigree I loved.

Always B Miki is also on my list more so for US results (although not so much '22 2yo's) but it is hard not to be tempted by Lot 90 from a Bettors daughter of Tailamade Lombo. Miki x Bettors has 2 US millionaires
    While Lot 91 is a full sister to Joyful and dam Joyfuljoy has been very hard to get in foal.
    Lot 153 has some appeal but there is nothing to go on for this cross but I have always wondered whether Soho Lanikai might have been something special (will we see any of his in a sale - he sired 13 for this season)
    Lot 172 which does have Tricky Miki to support the cross and
    Lot 215 is from quite a strong US damline
    I must have been feeling a lot more generous when I got down to Always B Miki as that is 5

ps What is with Breeders naming yearlings - buyers want to name their own horse
    It is still going

After not managing a $100k sale

We get to Lot 183 = $200k

Captain Treacherous x Return To Me (Bettors Delight). An unraced mare with no progeny to race yet (oldest just a 2yo). Mare a full sis to Maxim and to the dam of Magnificent Storm
    Last edited by Messenger; 03-05-2023 at 09:06 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    And now Lot 197 has gone for $160k. Another Captain Treacherous and from another strong NZ damline
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Lot 223 another $160k, a Bettors but a surprise to me
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I have sent the following Request to Nutrien. Fingers crossed

I have a request regarding how you present your Standardbred Sale results
    The results should include a Sire column and simply MUST include a Dam column
    Apart from them being valuable to breeders/buyers, I will illustrate why it is ESSENTIAL

Have a look at the Results you make available for Melbourne 2022
    Have a look at Lot 115
    That horse is no longer named Aldebaran Adam and as there is no dam name/column How would one find him on HRA if they did not copy/have the 2022 catalogue (as it is no longer available on your website)
    I asked about these columns in 2021 and one of your wonderful staff immediately sent me a spreadsheet that included columns for sire (great for sorting) and dam. So it was at her fingertips

SUGGESTION just use your Catalogue format and add an Amount, Buyer and Status column. If you need to make room for these, I suggest you can do without the Name, Age and State column in Results.
    It would be great if it could be done retrospectively for 2021 and 2022 too
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Agree Kev. It is a dog's breakfast. Compare it to the informative simplicity of the NZ Bloodstock site, where you can sort by any field.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    The two we bred are both very light bay; one out of a darker bay mare has a large round star, my boy out of a plain brown mare has similar markings to his dad (very nice foal).

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    No racing tomorrow or Monday because of the 2 day Nutrien Sale, is not something I would have thought we could afford

I reckon Mildura could have raced at least one of those days
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread